Really odd lameness

shadowboy

Visit site
Brought my boy in at 6pm tonight. Got to be honest I had him trailing behind me most of the way onto yard so wasn't really watching. But got onto the yard and he put down three really really lame strides. Properly hobblely. Tied him up, hosed down his legs to get rid of mud. Picked out feet, no negative reaction to lifting them or anything. There were some very small stones but nothing severe. Trotted him up twice and he was keen, forward moving and sound. No heat in any feet although the near fore was ice cold-as though not from a living being. have left him in chomping on his net. Any ideas? Anything I could look out for or should be checking for in the morning?

floradora09

Visit site
Perhaps he'd trodden on a big stone which fell out before you picked out his feet? Has happened to me before, been very lame across yard then to have a massive stone drop out. Hope he's ok :)

Izzwizz

Visit site
If theres nothing obvious to see then the only thing I can think of is mild Laminitis as a possibility. The weather has been unseasonably mild where I am and the grass is growing in the surrounding fields. Buds are on my garden plants and daffodils are poking through - freaky for January...!

shadowboy

Visit site
I thought lami initially but there was no heat and he was free moving when I trotted him up. no reaction to me pressing on soles or tapping with metal hoof pick. I'd also be very frustrated if it was lami as sheep recently been on field to naturally top it and he gets hay straw mix when in for the 13 hours he's in. Fingers crossed he will still be sound tomorrow. Would you turn out or keep in?

Izzwizz

Visit site
If you have any new grass coming through then it will be sweeter and more rich at the roots. Short grass is more nutritious than long. I would make an assessment tomorrow morning and if all looks good then turn out. Call your vet if your worried, I'm sure you would do this anyway.

shadowboy

Visit site
Yeah I'm going up early to check on him. Just worried because he was SO lame even if only a couple of strides. The other pony he's out with is lami prone but no sign of anything! I've got my fingers crossed...

be positive

Visit site
It was probably a stone, one of mine hopped for a few strides this morning with packed mud and stones in his foot, once it was picked out he was fine just like yours. See how he is in the morning but hopefully he will be fine.