Really self-indulgent, but for those that are following Honey's story

debradley

Visit site
Soz this is really self-indulgent, but for those of you who have been following Honey's story and missed my post. Well last weekend (mother's day infact) I decided it was time to reback her. I was hoping to get as far as lying like a sack of spuds over her back, but within 10 minutes I was fully on board and riding free. She took it all in her stride and was just spot on.

DSC00912_edited.jpg

Unfortunately, I was a complete drongo!! After the ride which was about 4pm, we put them down for the night in their stables - and yep because Honey had been very good lately and had been leaving her wounds well alone, I didn't think to put her neck cradle on. Got down the next morning and unfortunately her legs had filled, and to either relieve the pressure or to stop the itching Honey had decided to open her back leg another couple of inches (very neatly tho!). So we're back to having about a 6 inch slash on the back leg, but nothing too major.

Anyway I gave her the week off and decided to go back onboard today; and after her getting a little fed up with an over anxious me hesitating on the mounting block a bit too long. I finally got the courage up to swing my leg over an off we went. Well we only went up and down the drive a few times but I suppose that came to about a third of a mile and she was perfect. Never put a foot wrong - and this time I've rugged her up and left her in her field so that she can walk around and her legs won't fill!!

Thanks everyone for your support - onwards and upwards we head.

Visit site
de, im so pleased for you both as you have come such a long way. i looked at your video last night and it bought tears to my eyes i was so pleased for you both.
wish you both so much fun together

fredthoroughbred

Visit site
Welldone Debradley,

What a terrible time you two have had recently
frown.gif
but you have really shown tremendous dedication to Honey and I think you both deserve a huge trophy
grin.gif

Here's to summer hacking
grin.gif

debradley

Visit site
Oh hopefully come summer; we'll be doing a lot more than just hacking together. I'm hoping for at least one good rip across the Malverns and a few through the Wyre Forest aswell. But thanks everyone the smile is well and truly back on my face.

D

Donkeymad

Great news, apart from the little step backwards. here's hoping for forwards only. You have done a great job. Well done

Dolphin

Visit site
Hiya Debradley. This may be something to do with the two glasses of wine I have had tonight
blush.gif
but seeing that picture of you riding Honey after all you two have been through has actually bought a tear to my eye! And I don't even know you!!

I'm not surprised to hear you have a great big smile on your face - you certainly deserve it. Not many horses would have been lucky enough to receive the love and dedication that Honey has throughout her recuperation. That picture is a testiment to your commitment and determination to give your horse the best possible care and I remember from your posts just how hard you found that at times yet you never gave up.

I have just booked a vet visit for next to have my mare's leg scanned as her 6 months off are almost up. So maybe I will have some good news to report soon as well.

All the best with Honey and I look forward to more pictures soon.
grin.gif

debradley

Visit site
Oh Dolphin I'll keep everything crossed for you and hope the scan goes well. You've been having just as hard a time as me, so I expect to see those pictures soon. It's just so satisfying when you know all your patience has paid off. Please let me know how you've got on, I'd just love to see a picture of both of you. It's amazing how many good friendships you can build up on a site like this, without really ever knowing the person. But I've made some really great friends. Thanks folks.

Dolphin

Visit site
I hardly think I've been having as hard a time as you - I just had to turn mine away for 6 months. Pretty easy really considering what you had to do! Anyway, I may have some pictures soon who knows but I found this one of her doing what she used to love best in the meantime...
XC1-1.jpg

Imonone

Visit site
You and Honey really are an inspiration to all of us who are going through a tough time with our horses.

It gives me so much hope that if you can overcome all that has been thrown at you then I can too.

Thanks for the update
smile.gif
look forward to hearing about your continued good progress.

Discovery

Visit site
That's so great to hear! I've been quietly following Honey's story since the beginning.

One comment though, and don't take offence to this. If I were you, I would bandage all four legs. Whenever one of mine has an injury that requires bandaging, I always bandage all four legs to keep the support equal.