Really shaken up, bad accident today but am unhurt

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
I work at a local private yard. Today i went up to the field to get two of the horses in, one of the horses T is a 16.3hh massive cob, the other is a 15hh tiny cob, J. T was being an idiot so i decided to take J down and leave T out for a bit with the other horses who live out in that field. T galloped down to the gate and waited as he usually does so wasnt worried. However when i got to the gate with J, T turned around and double barrelled J (catching my arm in the process) J then reared up and lashed and T kept bucking at him (me being pinned with back against the gate and horses infront/either side of me. I let go of J and shooed him away hoping to just get them away from me, J galloped off and T pinned me against the gate with his bum!!! And the proceeded to gallop off bucking (missing my head narrowly) i turned around and exited the field quickly, did gate up only to see T galloping back down field, attempted to jump the gate and crashed through it on his chest, crashed through gate of second field and got into the car park (which has an open gate on to the main road) but luckily was caught in the car park.
Woah that was long, im still shaking and hav a sore arm but luckily thats all. Was so scared, am still in shock atm!

Weezy

Visit site
Oh I feel for you Kayleigh - I am VERY wary of horses in fields after something similar happened to me - so long as you are ok no harm done - horses can be replaced, you cant

JadeWisc

Visit site
Oh you poor thing! I hate taking any of my horses out of the field. They all clammer to the gate and it is in a corner with a narrow area. I CRINGE when I am in that spot with all 3 of them! I have had a few close calls, but nothing "yet" has happened. I really hope you are alright!

barneyandem

Visit site
That happened to me once, when i had to lead my horse through a field where a mare was on her own(who had broken another horses leg and was put on its own as it was dangerous with other horses).YO owner said she would be fine!! Anyway, she charged at me and barney and cornered us by the gate and was just kicking and broncoing without relent, the yard owner had to get the hose out as nothing would stop her. Barney was just frozen with fear as he had tried and couldnt protect me. He was so shocked he wouldnt eat til the next evning.
Anyway, sorry to babble on, but i know what it must have been like, just try and relax and take your mind off it, at least you are ok and tell the people at work that you will not be putting yourself in that position again!

Theresa_F

Visit site
As some who has horses of a similar size, I really feel for you.

Thank god mine are nearly always well behaved, but I have had Cairo walk over me to get out and that was bad enough and he partially squashed my foot.

Have some hot tea.

The problem with this time of year is that often the grass has run out, it is getting cold and wet and they can be horrid about wanting to come in as they are hungry and getting wet.

airedale

Visit site
thank goodness you are allright.

Perhaps that 2.1 million payout isn't a fluke. Today it could easily have been you.

1. check the yard insurance
2. wear a helmet round the horses when bringing in from field

3. get the big horse turned out on his own from now on. Once bitten twice shy. He could do it again and you or someone else may not be so lucky

so glad you are OK

Clodagh

Visit site
Where I work its turned into a right bun fight at the gate, they are hungry. Ours have improved like mad with having hay thrown in the paddock to get the worse of the hunger pangs off.
As for calming down - carbohydrates, bread, cake or cereal work well.
You are very lucky and make sure there are two of you next time.
Take care
Cx

airedale

Visit site
you must not do this again. Once a horse has done this sort of thing it will do it again. It's 'chucked its weight' around and beaten the sh1t out of you and the other horse. It's now top of the pecking order and will be up for it tomorrow, or the day after, or whatever.

Sorry but it's got to be either that sh1te horse is put out on it's own or you don't get horses in from its field

You only have **1*** life in this world and it's a damn short one at that. Hunger/food/carbohydrate/whatever is NO excuse for the behaviour you've described.

Horses are a risk to handle all the time but there are acceptable risks and unacceptable risks.

What you've described is an unacceptable risk. If the YO doesn't think it is unacceptable get her to go out and get the sh1te horse in on her own in the same cirucmstnaces !!!

Please don't do this again. Life is really too short. You've been very very lucky as I know you realise. A large cob packs a serious punch and you could easily be dead. I'm blunt.

As I said - I'm really glad you are OK but that horse needs to be marginalised in the field - either a separate paddock or in an electric enclosure.

Not only is he risking your life - but those kicks could easily break the leg of another horse in the field. Yard next door to me a few years back had a similar animal at livery. The owner was asked to remove it after it ended up killing 3 other livery horses due to broken legs !!!!!

teapot

Visit site
Was alwaus my worst nightmare when working at the yard - had quite a few horses over 16hh

really hope you're ok

Pidge

Visit site
Please talk to your boss to get this sorted out as you really don't need to be getting this horse in again. As others have said you only have one life please don't put yourself at risk. A 16.3 cob is well over half a ton in weight and as shown today can be dangerous. IMO this is a serious incident not just highjinks or hungry.

S_N

Visit site
Jeee hunny - I am so glad you are OK!! that must have been terrifying for you! Have you had a stiff drink or 10? Huggles - take some arnica for your arm!

Ginn

Visit site
Oh god hunny! Sounds awful! Hope you are ok now. Take some ibroprohen (sp) for the arm and a big mug of tea (or something strong!) for you.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Crikes, that's awful. Get yourself a long hot bath and a cuppa and just try and relax.
When i go to get ponies in at the yard sometimes they clamour at the gate. Nothing nasty, they just all want to get out! But I just make a "brrr" noise at them and wave my arms which usually does the trick. I am very wary of getting kicked though. YO got kicked at the gate whilst adjusting a horses rug last week. It has certainly made me think twice.

After this I do hope your boss has a rethink of things and seperates this horse. All horses can be dangerous but if this one has done this once then he'll do it again.

rcm_73

Visit site
I would, without a doubt especially if you are on your own a lot, how are you supposed to do your job safely? No matter how eager it is to get in it has to be made to respect your space. I used to have a similar problem and used to shove the stick down my boot so it was to hand. It's last memory of you going in that field needs to be that it is unpleasant business to step into your space. Good luck with it.

Claireg9

Visit site
Sounds awful, so glad your ok, i have problems when getting in too, as one arab mare hates mine and she will gallop all the way from the bottom to the top of the field just to chase and try and kick my horse, she even ran at me when i stood in front of my horse trying to protect her!
Some horses can just be a nightmare!
Be careful, but i do suggest you do it again, the old saying of getting back on the horse might help you to understand why!

Id also wear a hat... maybe even a back protector, tack a long whip, and be confident, maybe get the naughty big one in first!

Jade Wisc, if you have a bottle neck at your gat way might be wise to electric fence the bottle neck off, i.e make the corner curved so they dont all run into a corner help you not to get cornered too!
Plus you have safety of an extra gate should you need it.
And if there really booting each other you could zap the offender on the bum!
smile.gif

Glad no one was hurt badly x

MagicMelon

Visit site
Jeez. Its horrid when horses are having a silly (or nasty) moment with each other and you end up in the middle of it all. Its always so scary when you have to watch a horse then plough straight into/ through something like a fence / gate etc. One of mine has a thing about fences, he's been through a few now! Twice he's galloped flat out into a wire fence (not barbed) and flipped over. Horrid to watch but luckily he's bene unhurt so far (well he has shredded his chest open on barbed wire on a hack once when he bolted through it.....).

Glad everyone is ok.