Really stupid trailer question... Quick answers needed.

bex1984

Visit site
If you park up car and trailer and go off for a ride, do you lock up the trailer? If so, how?! Mine just has a hitch lock so I'm guessing I can't lock that while it's hitched up?

jodie3

Visit site
If you have one of the wheel clamp security locks you could put that on? Just remember to take it off before you drive home!!

Be careful leaving things like headcollars tied up outside the trailer as sadly there are a lot of light-fingered people about.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Unfortunately although many jockey doors have locks the ramps don't so it is easy to remove the contents or even the trailer itself.

Do not leave anything in the trailer or anything visible in the towing vehicle.
Ensure that the roof of the trailer has your post code marked on it in very large lettering (right across the trailer) and also on all 4 sides of the trailer. Ensure that the trailer is locked to the car with a heavy duty chain to make it more difficult to simply unhitch it from the tow vehicle.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Of course you can lock the hitch while its hitched! You're supposed to for safety. What is it? An if or?

Baileyhoss

Visit site
Check your Hitchlock. A lot of them can still be put on to lock your trailer on to the car. IW's also have their own wee lock on the hitch which can be used hitched up.

Spit That Out

Visit site
My jockey door can be locked with a key however you can buy padlocks to go through the ramp bolty things (I can't remember what they are called) also use a wheel lock and of course your hitch lock.
I lock everything in the car...to be honest thieves can break into cars as well (they do it everyday) but it stops the opportunist.

You can also buy tracking devices if your trailer does wonder off. Put your postcode or a number on the roof so it can be seen from above or you can get those invisible pen things that only show up with a uv (not sure that's the right light??) light!

MrsNorris

Visit site
You can, and it certainly helps, but i was told that they are relatively easy to break so I always try and reverse my trailer up really tight to something as well, a wall or barrier of some sort, just to make it as difficult as possible for someone to steal.
Wheel clamps are brillient, but the good ones are pretty expensive.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You can lock most trailers onto the tow hitch of your car. Some will have integral locks on the hitch & others will have a hole which you can put a padlock through to prevent lifing the hitch off. Jockey doors have locks & the rear ramp won't have a lock but again you can put a padlock through the toggle clips.

There is no way you can make something 100% secure because if someone is determined to steal it they will find a way. All you can do is make it as difficult as possible so they will leave it & try elsewhere.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Sorry tallyho I was wrong! Op yes you can use that lock- also check your insurance I know that we're covered as long as the hitch lock is on - bizarrely given that a screwdriver would soon remove it!

mcnaughty

Visit site
I possible - reverse the car right up tight against a wall or solid fence or tree. They could still unhitch but if you are tight enough behind they would not be able to turn the trailer to pull away from your car. A large chain and padlock would deter too and a wheel clamp but be aware that you can just remove the whole wheel on 4 wheel trailers!