really urgent information needed please

parsley

Visit site
My boy went to the vets last week and needs another tooth out as it has a rotten quarter which has caused an infection in his sinus. He has to have a 4 week stay at the vets while the flushing etc is done. He is excluded from dental problems on his insurance and the minimum cost is £2000 if everything goes perfectly to plan. I am trying to get as much information on other people's experiences on these sorts of problems as I clearly have to weigh up the odds of problems, reoccurance, chances of success in clearing the sinus infection and the risk of the dental arcade drifting in the future. Unfortunatly this really is a case of life or death for him and I am completly at my wits end, especially as he is also going to have a permentantly enlarged fetlock, although the vet says that in his experience this shouldn't cause problems. I would really like more information before I discuss the situation with the vet again.

Tia

Visit site
It is a sinus infection so surely would be covered by your insurance? Just because it is a complication of the tooth, surely that won't exclude sinus being a medical issue rather than a dental one? Grasping at straws here but maybe check with the vets who may be able to advise you better.

Would it not save you some money if you were to bring the horse home and do the flushing yourself?

TGM

Visit site
Does he really have to stay at the vets for four weeks afterwards? When my father's horse had a similar operation the vets were happy for him to come home a day after and for me to do the flushing.

parsley

Visit site
No - the vet knows he is not insured for dental related problems and has said that unfortunatly it is because of the rotten tooth.

parsley

Visit site
I will ask about this but the tooth removal is £1500 so it won't make a huge difference. My main concern with the extraction is that the vet will try to do it under standing sedation but he says that if the tooth breaks he will need to go to Rossdales for full anathetic.

Tia

Visit site
Does the vet realise your dilemma? Would he not be compliant to refraining from suggesting how the sinus infection occurred to the insurance company?

parsley

Visit site
No - unfortunatly for me at this point he is very honest - although it does work in my favour when I need honesty from him.

parsley

Visit site
standing sedation. He said he would do it over two days - crack the tooth the first and make it loose then remove it the next day.

parsley

Visit site
TBH I have been so involved with worrying about reoccurance and complications it hasn't occured to me to get another costing. The vet has said he wants to send the xrays off to get a second opinion. I am going to have a talk to him about it as I was so stunned at the time that I just nodded when he said that he would need an operation etc. At the momment he is booked to go in next week but in the meantime I have had to have a good think about it and his future.

I would really like to get in contact with his previous owner to release his medical records from rossdales where he had the previous tooth removed - I am very worried that it might have been for the same problem.

cariadssogreat

Visit site
I think £1500 is an awful lot for a tooth removal under standing sedation myself. I would get a second opinion tbh, I once got a second opinion at a referal practice and the problem was easily resolved at a fraction of the cost of the local practice. Just worth a try - explain kindly to your vet that it is a life and death senario - and they should be understanding if they are any good.

pixiebee

Visit site
blimey, i didnt realise dental problems were not covered by insurance! i would be in major trouble if that happened to my pony, i just about afford him with no money left as it is!! i feel for you!! :-(

Happytohack

Visit site
If Rossdales have already treated your horse for a similar problem (before you had him), I would have thought it is very important for any vet to see his previous veterinary history before advising of any treatment. I would also think it might be better if he was referred straight to Rossdales where a). they have treated him before and b). he is in the best place if he needs a general anaesthetic, or any complications occur. They can give you an estimate for any treatment - it might not be as bad as you think.

Thistle

Visit site
Agree with Juliet on this one, straight to Rossdales as they know his problems. I think you can go straight to them without referal, but you could always ask your vet. Also ask Rossdales for a costing.

katelarge

Visit site
I know a good vet who I have used for a second opinion and saved me a lot of money - he is based in Wilts but will travel and he is very big on teeth. If you'd like his email addy please pm me.

thinking of you x

Clodagh

Visit site
Can't help, Parsley, except to say how sorry I am.
frown.gif

I would try to go straight to Rossdales, then he is in absolutely the right place if there are any complications. Also, I asusme Rossdales will definately be able to look at his previous 'history' and advise you accordingly?

Take care, hope it all works out OK.
crazy.gif

GTs

Visit site
At our hospital I do when horses came back with new owners, and we recognized them, I think we were able to notify them the information they need to make, to make an informed decision.

parsley

Visit site
I had a really good chat with the vet today and feel a bit more hopeful than yesterday - he says he knows I am on a budget and will get the tooth out - he says that there is areal danger than the sinus won't clear up but he has never had this happen. He also offered me the option of just giving him antibiotics whenever the sinus flared up, although this obviously won't cure the problem. He also said that it could cost less that £2,000 - I think that I was so horrified when we went for the Xrays that I didn't take it all in.

In addition, the dealer I bought him off is trying to arrange for me to talk to someone who used to look after him as they can probably tell me why the other tooth had to come out.

However..... now his fetlock is looking bigger again.

parsley

Visit site
I have rung the town practice and the hospital to see if he had given permission to release the records and they just said no.

Prudence

Visit site
Oh Parsley, I've only just caught up with all this - I'm so dreadfully sorry for Bomber and you!! I have nothing to add to anything that has already been said. I wish I could help you in some way.

Tia

Visit site
I have just had a mad thought here........may not help you whatsoever but possibly worth a try!! What about calling the PDSA? This is exactly the sort of thing they are supposed to help out with. If this is life or death then anything is worth a shot at this point.

Good luck!

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
He also offered me the option of just giving him antibiotics whenever the sinus flared up, although this obviously won't cure the problem.

[/ QUOTE ] We tried this approach with Baz initially, but as soon as he came off the antibiotics the condition flared right up again, so we had to go for the tooth extraction.