Really want a career in racing

isaaacb

Visit site
You can never go wrong by going through the racing school. And given your age you will have to at some point soon if you want to stay in racing regardless. If you go into a jumping yard then try to get on a course over summer - April-September as that's our quiet time so if you are already working in a yard it's not too much of an inconvenience to lose you for 14 weeks. You are guaranteed a job when you leave racing school but it is up to you to keep it. A lot of young jockeys spend a season Point To Pointing to gain experience but not all. If you are good enough you can get your conditional jockeys licence out. Again a lot of hard work is involved and you need to prove that not only are you good enough for it but that you really, really, really want it.

We have 2 16yo lads working for us just now, one started at 15yo on a school apprenticeship scheme, the other jacked in school and both have always wanted to work in racing and be jockeys. One is too tall so his only hope is to be a jump jockey and lose a lot of his claim before he hits puberty - I'm not being mean saying this, you don't realise just how much young lads physically mature from 16-18yo and gain natural weight. The other lad is tiny and probably weighs 6st wet through so we will teach him all we can over the winter then pack him off to a flat yard in the spring to be a flat jockey. He wants to jump but in all honesty he will end up carrying 3st of lead just to make bottom weight so he should use his small size and weight whilst he can to carve out a flat career and come back to jumping in a few years. So if you want to jack in school then do it. But don't do it lightly. Find a yard you like - even if you do a weeks work experience to get a feel for the place - pretty much all yards will let you. You are still more than young enough to do a season in racing and then head back to school if it isn't for you. Working 6 days a week in all weathers takes it's toll at times! But if your tough you will succeed.

Sorry to bother you again, do you get people with all sorts of experience come in from no experience to lots

Visit site
Sorry to bother you again, do you get people with all sorts of experience come in from no experience to lots

Yes we very often get people in that have never seen a horse in the flesh before to add some more work experience to their cv for vet school. We employ quite a few school leavers too as ground staff who have never met a horse before and teach them how to do the job required of them safely. Many move on after a couple of years but it gives them a good grounding on work straight from school.

Others come in to get more experience before heading off to racing school or other equine colleges and know quite a bit about horses but not necessarily racing.

Racing is very open and welcoming to all who want to be here and are willing to put in the graft. Just be honest with the yard as to how much you know and can do so they don't over face you or expect you to be able to do things you can't.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have no experience with racing, but do have a lot of life experience. I just wanted to say that I think it is brilliant that you are following your dream. I have used the facilities at the Northern Racing College, and they are fabulous. I have also seen the way that the college teaches rapidly, it is very different to learning at a riding school. Good luck!

sywell

Visit site
I am 16 and really want a career in racing. I have started my a levels but am currently looking at attending the British racing school or northern racing school. I am really interested in racing and am willing to put in the hard graft for such a rewarding job. I do have some experience working with racehorses at a very small family yard just mucking out, turning out, rugging up and I have been learning to ride on a quiet racehorse for a few months already which is going really well.

Does anyone have any advice on what would be the best way for me to get into racing?

Would it be better if I did finish my a levels?

Thanks so much
I am 16 and really want a career in racing. I have started my a levels but am currently looking at attending the British racing school or northern racing school. I am really interested in racing and am willing to put in the hard graft for such a rewarding job. I do have some experience working with racehorses at a very small family yard just mucking out, turning out, rugging up and I have been learning to ride on a quiet racehorse for a few months already which is going really well.

Does anyone have any advice on what would be the best way for me to get into racing?

Would it be better if I did finish my a levels?

Thanks so much
The BRS at Newmarket is excellent but you will have to pass the weight requirement and they do find a job for you.

jainque

Visit site
I will probably get shoot for this, but what makes you want to go in NH ?
You seems to really love horses and in my humble experience, NH is harder on the horses ( casuality ) than
the flat racing.
I worked 6 months in France and maybe they are not as good or as Professional as in the UK, but during the winter meeting,
when the ground was wet in the South of France, we nearly lost a horse a day.....
Personally, i couldn't stand loosing so many horses, i get too attached to them, and seeing all the injuries really got me down.
Now, i am working in a small flat yard and although the horses get injuried, it seems less drastic and no so hard on them.

If you go into racing, you really have to get though anyway, but NH was too hard for me.

Good luck, follow your dream and all the best for the future.

Visit site
I will probably get shoot for this, but what makes you want to go in NH ?
You seems to really love horses and in my humble experience, NH is harder on the horses ( casuality ) than
the flat racing.
I worked 6 months in France and maybe they are not as good or as Professional as in the UK, but during the winter meeting,
when the ground was wet in the South of France, we nearly lost a horse a day.....
Personally, i couldn't stand loosing so many horses, i get too attached to them, and seeing all the injuries really got me down.
Now, i am working in a small flat yard and although the horses get injuried, it seems less drastic and no so hard on them.

If you go into racing, you really have to get though anyway, but NH was too hard for me.

Good luck, follow your dream and all the best for the future.

You would be surprised at the number of fatalities and serious injuries in flat racing that happen at home Because they are so much younger their bones break a lot easier.

We currently have around 90 horses in the yard. In 2019 we lost 3 on the track - out of about 120 horses that have been through the yard.