Really wish BS

PaddyMonty

Visit site
would record all a horses outings, not just placing or DC.
Looking at horses record it is very difficult to tell if its a very good horse or has been out a lot with an occasional placing.
BE and BD can do it. Come on BS, in these days of cheap mega storage and database technology there really is no excuse.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
They have muttered about it but I think just having the current system correct and updated would be a good start ;)

Look on UKSJ forum on Facebook as the minutes are fascinating from a recent meeting with BS head bods.

little_flea

Visit site
I don't think listing everything would be good - there are so many reasons why a horse could be eliminated etc, it might put people off for the wrong reason. I do think all DC's should be listed though, not just qualifiers - for instance I had lots of DCs in 1.15m classes when I was jumping the old stallion but none of that goes on the record.

claire_p2001

asdexploitvangroenhove.weebly.com
I don't think listing everything would be good - there are so many reasons why a horse could be eliminated etc, it might put people off for the wrong reason. I do think all DC's should be listed though, not just qualifiers - for instance I had lots of DCs in 1.15m classes when I was jumping the old stallion but none of that goes on the record.

Totally agree with this, once you are out of Fox hardly any DC's show on record except qualifiers even though the horse might jump regular DC's in open classes. TBH if all results were recorded it would prevent me from trying the higher classes becuase if we had fault then it would be me not the horse!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I don't think listing everything would be good - there are so many reasons why a horse could be eliminated etc, it might put people off for the wrong reason.
Works well for BE and BD. SJI records are brilliant. You get to see what class, faults in first round or JO, number in class etc. Very useful.

star

Visit site
BD only used to publish scores which gained points so Novice and above and 60% and above unless you were placed with under 60%. They now publish prelim scores as well but no idea if they publish anything under 60% as fortunately been a while since we had a score that low. I agree it would be good if BS published more. With BE everything goes on record.

sport horse

Visit site
Thoughts:
1. Most BS horses start in a lot more classes than BD amd BE so a huge amount of extra work for BS which ulitmately will be paid for by the membership.

2. Young horse producers may worry that all the spooks of young horses will be on their record for ever but they bear no meaning once the horse is established. Some learn quickly and others need several outings to get the idea.

3. The consequences of 2 will mean that young horse producers will take their horses to non BS shows until they are ready to go clear. This is already happening at several centres that are now running 'training days'. Non affiliated but same centres and same jumps as BS. Cheaper entry fees, no prize money. Less affiliated shows less income for BS

4. Effects of 3 on BS mean less registrations of horses until they are ready to jump clear rounds in qualifiers. Many dealer/producers may not bother to affiliate horses that they plan to sell. Less income for BS

I think that while it might be interesting to see every round on a horses record the possible costs to BS and loss of income from less show affiliations and horse registrations would need very careful thought!

Nightmare before Christmas

Visit site
I think all DCs to be recorded as when producing young ones it helps to see what they are doing (mines jumped 1.05 double clears but they arnt shown).

I dont think everything should go on, I produce and use shows at training as there isnt enough decent training shows or clear rounds and nothing is more valuable than ring time for a young horse

dieseldog

Visit site
I don't think it is that much extra work to put all rounds on the system as lots of judges already use a computer package that links into the BS database for membership info and records all the rounds, so they could develop a link to send the information back.

If the horse you have been interested in has jumped at say Wales and West they already record all the rounds on their website, which I have found really useful.

i have to say that when I view a horses record and there are massive gaps I generally think it has been injured, especially if it reappears a year later with the same rider, I also think if it doesn't have a result every couple of months its not careful enough. Saying that my horse is currently missing winnings from 2 months ago so I should probably ignore everything I just written and put poor records down to BS being rubbish at updating results!

sport horse

Visit site
I hate to tell you that there is no show centre or judge that has any system that links into the BS database to record results. That is all done manually. There is a showmans system that gives show organsiers details of registered horses and riders.

DarkHorseB

Visit site
BD do publish below 60 % scores in classes with not many entries. At a recent show from my area all 4 elementary scores in one class were below 60% and listed and in the other with 4 entries where 2 were below 60% they were all listed.
In big classes they only publish 60% plus scores I have noticed

measles

Visit site
Thoughts:
1. Most BS horses start in a lot more classes than BD amd BE so a huge amount of extra work for BS which ulitmately will be paid for by the membership.

2. Young horse producers may worry that all the spooks of young horses will be on their record for ever but they bear no meaning once the horse is established. Some learn quickly and others need several outings to get the idea.

3. The consequences of 2 will mean that young horse producers will take their horses to non BS shows until they are ready to go clear. This is already happening at several centres that are now running 'training days'. Non affiliated but same centres and same jumps as BS. Cheaper entry fees, no prize money. Less affiliated shows less income for BS

4. Effects of 3 on BS mean less registrations of horses until they are ready to jump clear rounds in qualifiers. Many dealer/producers may not bother to affiliate horses that they plan to sell. Less income for BS

I think that while it might be interesting to see every round on a horses record the possible costs to BS and loss of income from less show affiliations and horse registrations would need very careful thought!

This will be the knock on effect I would suggest and can see it from both sides.

BeckyD

Visit site
But BD don't publish scores under 60% do they (unless championship). I think that is good, everyone can have a rubbish day.

They publish all results, good or bad (ETS I that's what I'd assumed from my own record). I have a 54% or something on my record due to a truly rubbish test - horse not happy about something (not too sure why, got 66% in the one before). Same with BE. All results are published.

I think BS should show every result the same as the other disciplines. It's not right to have one discplinie out of line with the others.

Last edited:

PaddyMonty

Visit site

Are you really saying that someone looking to buy an established BS horse is not capable of understanding the natural progression of a young horse?

measles

Visit site
Are you really saying that someone looking to buy an established BS horse is not capable of understanding the natural progression of a young horse?

In the case of some amateur purchasers I would say that might be the case. Over time looking at Irish records you learn to interpret what is an exceptional record, what is good, average and so on for the age and stage of horse or pony but it is not just as easy to form an accurate view as it might seem. The age and relative experience of the rider needs to be taken into account for example and I wonder if BS will have a rider (and owner) search facility as SJAI do.

sammiea

Visit site
One of my horses BS record looks like he hasn't jumped a DC since October 2012 which is far from the truth, I have moved him (well more me actually) up a level and have been jumping opens (105's) with DC's just not fast enough to be placed and then when have jumped newcomers they have been a silly pole in either the 1st or 2nd round, its frustrating me like crazy that the elusive newcomers dc hasn't happened!

I think all results should be shown in line with BD & BE

montanna

Visit site

I think this is very much the case! When I bought my mare, she had a BE record, and had a few faults SJ and eliminations during the XC as a 5/6yr old. Despite being 9 and having a good record after this, and a very very good price, a few people still turned their nose up that she had not completed the XC on these few occasions! I bought her to compete BS, not to event.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Here's the record for my new horse.
I have no way to tell if this is good, bad or indifferent. She may have been out 100 times to achieve this or this may be the total comps she did. First scenario would not be great, second would be much more impressive.
just for info her DC's pretty much match her placings.
What do you think?
BSRec_zps1711b489.jpg

MagicMelon

Visit site
They have muttered about it but I think just having the current system correct and updated would be a good start ;)

This totally. They've mucked up my results in the past - one 1st place I won which didn't appear on my record, they told me I wasn't even at the show! I also twice got letters saying I would be penalised because I'd entered classes I wasn't eligible for (both times I was and they apologised). I remember one year it seemed to take about 2 / 3 months to update my record online which made trying to remember how much winnings you had quite difficult (to ensure you knew which class you were eligible for!). Their system is dreadful. BE's system is brilliant, results are often up the same night after an event and I've never had any problems with it. Its also so much better being able to see any horses result, not having to pay like for BS...

dieseldog

Visit site
I hate to tell you that there is no show centre or judge that has any system that links into the BS database to record results. That is all done manually. There is a showmans system that gives show organsiers details of registered horses and riders.

You need to read what I actually wrote, I said that judges already use a system that gets the membership information from the BS database and that judges use it to record all the rounds and work out the placings - what they need to do now is develop the link to upload that information back to BS.

dieseldog

Visit site
Here's the record for my new horse.
I have no way to tell if this is good, bad or indifferent. She may have been out 100 times to achieve this or this may be the total comps she did. First scenario would not be great, second would be much more impressive.
just for info her DC's pretty much match her placings.
What do you think?
BSRec_zps1711b489.jpg

You need to see the riders to get a clearer picture, but it was a long time ago. Going from dec03 to Jul04 without a result is not good, but she was consistent as then got placed nearly every weekend. I would wonder why she had a break from jan to May 05. It also pays to look at when she was last registered. And what has she been doing for the last 9 years.