rearer/bolter with recurrent back problems, any ideas/experiences?

gothdolly

Visit site
Last year I bought a horse who had a long standing known history of bolting and rearing. I felt sure that his problems were rooted in pain, and indeed, he did have serious teeth, back and badly fitting tack issues. I have spent a lot of time and money sorting these problems out and got him riding out nicely but the back problem keeps re-occuring. He keeps getting misaligned vertebrae, his poll comes out of line and his pelvis. Despite on going chiropracter treatement I cant seem to permanently "fix" the problem. I have had a new saddle, professionally fitted and double checked. And I have had my riding checked out to make sure Im not the problem!

When everything is "in line" and he is comfortable, he is a lovely willing gentle horse. He has a lovely nature, but I don’t feel its safe to ride him as when in pain he is very dangerous (repeated, violent rearing until the rider comes off, and serious,"run blindly through anything" bolting).

I would never intentionally ride him knowing he was in pain, but in September I had him treated by the chiropracter, followed her advice on giving him a couple of days off, rode him again, felt he was going to rear and managed to leap off before he went nuts again. Sure enough, his pelvis and cervical vertebrae were back out. This had happened whilst he was turned out in the paddock. I am not prepared to ride him anymore not knowing if he is in pain or not, and risking my safety, and Im not enough of an expert in the spinous processes to see when everything is aligned or not. Also, I worry that his back could slip out of line whilst riding - and perhaps this is why he has bolted in the past?

He doesn’t lunge well as he seems to find it painful ( head in the sky, and just gallops madly round in a circle).

Is there anything else I can do in this situation? He is aged around 20+, 16.3hh TB type, has arthritis in hocks/knees, is currently a big expensive pet that I am keeping on livery :( Should I cut my losses and accept that he is unrideable, or is there anything I can do to to stop the back problems re-occuring? I said when I bought him I would PTS if he was unfixable but obviously now Im very fond of him and that’s a heartbreaking thought :( I will never pass him on though as what future would he have?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I'd find a competent vet to give you a good assessment of his problems. Then find a competent farrier to review his feet.

Your being taken for a ride - literally - by the person who is telling you that your horse has misplaced anything (except it's marbles.....)

misst

Visit site
He may well have a serious back problem or foot pain or lots of things but I am never ever convinced that a horse can slip its vertebrae in and out of alignement - nor its pelvis for that matter. Muscle spasms - yes - bones moving - no.

I think you sound very caring and you obviously want what is best for him but has he had xrays? Has he had nerve blocks? I would be looking for a proper diagnosis then you can make an informed decision.

gothdolly

Visit site
Should have said, he has been having remedial farriery every 6 weeks for the last 18 months with a very good farrier and has regularly seen the vet about the same lameness/back issues although the vet's examination of his back was a physical exam rather than a scan. The chiropracter works in conjunction with the vet and her last recommendation was that I spoke to my vet again so the three of us could have a conversation about where to go with this horse as the problem is ongoing... .

Im just wondering what on earth can be so seriously wrong to affect his behavior so badly and what could perhaps "fix" him.... if there are in hand exercises we can do to build up muscle to support the spine perhaps??

Bovril

Visit site
I think both the other post are correct and whilst chiro's are very good at what they do, if this a reoccurring problem you should always go for your vets advice.

siennamum

Visit site
I think you can get in a vicious circle with these things.

He may have had a range of misalignments which were brought about by the problems you have now fixed, but because he is established, at his age, in going crooked, the problems just keep reoccuring. If he were mine, at that age and he were dangerous, I'd probably give him a nice rest and then PTS.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
From personal experience - I'd start with the feet and work up.

So - full lameness work up done - which will include x-rays of the feet and go from there.

Ditch the chiro for the moment - save your money for the vet.

coen

Visit site
It sounds to be like the horse isn't physically fit for use. There is no point chucking more money at the situation obviously his back isn't strong enough to withstand regular riding despite your best efforts. He isn't a spring chicken 20+ TB why don't you retire him or put him on loan as a companion ect.
And get yourself something younger that you can ride. Best of luck.

gothdolly

Visit site
SiennaMum and Coen - thats kind of where I was going with my post.... I love him to pieces but I am very concerned that we are in a vicious circle with his way of going being so "crooked" as you say. Also, I worry that he has now learnt some very effective techniques for dislodging his rider - even though he is a nice horse - he can be very nappy as well and hates to leave my others.

I was worrying that his age was against him in recovery.

I dont begrudge him the money and time I have spent on him but I am reluctant to throw more money away.

A companion home is unrealistic for him as he requires remedial farriery every 6 weeks to stay even field sound. Also, he cant stay out at night, needs lots of rugs, and is very expensive to feed!

I have two other horses who are safe, nice rides :)

scatty_mare

Visit site
It sounds like you have a caring but realistic attitude and you know when enough is enough.
If he was mine I would pts.
What a sad situation though, it sounds like you really have tried everything to get him right. Poor horse, doesn't sound like he has had a very happy life, but he was lucky to find you in the end.

skint1

Visit site
It is well worth getting his feet looked at, from what I understand if their feet are not correct it can place all kinds of strain on the rest of the muscular/skeletal system (but I could be wrong)

Our horse will rear/buck/spin if she's uncomfortable (not as vehemently as yours by the sound of it) but has been much better (KNOCKING WOOD AND TAKING NOTHING FOR GRANTED!!!) since we got her some chiro treatment AND also had her foot angles addressed.

skint1

Visit site
Sorry, just re-read a bit more closely (am at work) I think I would understand if you went for the pts option too.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It is well worth getting his feet looked at, from what I understand if their feet are not correct it can place all kinds of strain on the rest of the muscular/skeletal system (but I could be wrong)

You are absolutely correct. Also - it seems this horse has a history of lameness - that clearly needs further investigation - and may hold the answer to many of it's problems.

But to be honest at 20 - if this horse has a history of rearing and bolting that span back over several years - I'd do it the greatest kindness of just retiring it. It's probably had a rubbish working life. Let it have a hasstle and stress free retirement.

gothdolly

Visit site
He was very lame when I bought him with mechanical (concussion) laminitis - hence the need for remedial farriery and all the vetinary involvement from the start. He has partial rotation/dropped soles. He is sound with the correct shoeing, if he is kept to the 6 week interval.

He is also a weaver - would that have a negative impact on his spine?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
He has partial rotation/dropped soles

You could be describing my horse - who like yours was treated for a back problem before the feet issue was properly diagnosed and treated.

THIS will be the root of the problems. How is he shod? And 6 week intervals will probably be too long in between shoeing.

siennamum

Visit site
I would expect the weaving to have had a more negative impact on his lower limbs tbh. Poor old sod, has presumably had a tough time of it - it's probably 10 - 15 years too late to solve his problems IMO. Sounds like he couldn't have asked for a better, more caring and decent last home to have tho.

BigRed

Visit site
I am not sure why you would knowingly buy a horse with so many problems, especially when he is already so old. I think you have been very kind to him, but I think you are throwing good money after bad and I think the best bet for him, is to be pts.

FestiveBoomBoom

Visit site
Spinal vertebrae can move and come out of alignment, what about horses with kissing spines? In those cases the spinous processes can impinge, override or even fuse together. Could that be a possibility for your boy? It is quite prevalent in tb's I believe. I do agree that problems in the feet can definitely cause all other kinds of compensatory problems so further investigations there would be a good idea too

gothdolly

Visit site
AmyMay - really- in your experience 6 weeks is too long? I will talk to my farrier and ask his opinion... what were your horse's behavior problems as a result of foot pain? The farrier has just changed the type of shoes, for a while he was shod with eggbars but he has had other types as well.

Siennamum - he has (now non-reactive) splints on both forelegs, I presume these were caused by weaving....

BigRed - I bought him because a) Im stupid and b) because he needed someone and it broke my heart to look at him and c) because I had just had my beloved mare put to sleep after a long battle with cushings (the day after having my cat put to sleep due to liver failure) and also just had a miscarriage and wasnt thinking very clearly. I just wanted to try to save something and make a difference, it was an emotional response rather than a sensible one.

I dont object to keeping him as a large pet, but if its unlikely that he will come right then I will stop getting saddle fitters and various practioners out. Poor lad, he has had a rough life I think.

spaniel

Visit site
In all honesty Gothdolly I think I would pts. I can totally understand the state of mind you were in when you bought him and that you are now really torn between the emotional attachment you have and what your head is telling you.

At 20 with so many problems Im not sure I can genuinely suggest keeping him field sound and retiring him, it just doesnt feel fair on the poor chap.

Youve done your best, given everything a good go but there comes a point where quality of life must outweigh our own feelings.

I feel for you I really do.

misst

Visit site
I would call it day and just try to get him comfy. He is very lucky to have a caring last home. Having had one with foot problems I can relate to his behavour exactly. Ours span, reared bucked and ran backwards when his feet hurt. He also developed PSD in the opposite back leg to his worst front foot (diagonal pair) and a sacro illiac problem. He was remedially shod every 5 weeks. He was hacking sound for a year and then paddock sound for a year after diagnosis. He was 12 when PTS.
You obviously love him and want the best for him. I would stop the saddle fitter and chiro and just keep him to enjoy and love x You have done your best so when the times comes do not feel guilty to let him go.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
AmyMay - really- in your experience 6 weeks is too long? I will talk to my farrier and ask his opinion... what were your horse's behavior problems as a result of foot pain? The farrier has just changed the type of shoes, for a while he was shod with eggbars but he has had other types as well.

I rigorously had my horse shod every 5 weeks with bar shoes and gel pads. Like yours he had thin soles and slightly rotated pedal bones. He also had coffin joint disease. He didn't exhibit any behavoural issues - just displayed a sore back. However, once the problem with his feet was identified and treated remedialy the bad back vanished.

However, I have just recently had him put down as I couldn't keep him sound.

ponypops

Visit site
i t sounds like you have tried everything and sad as it may be its time to call it a day. unless you can afford to retire this horse and thats assuming retirement would suit the horse then if not it would be kindness to put to sleep.

gothdolly

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies everyone.

AmyMay - i had another horse (who had cushings) who was succesfully shod/sound with gel pads and bar shoes - we tried it with this problem horse, but he kept pulling them off....

It really does sound like his problems are stemming from his feet then dosnt it....from everyone elses experiences.. poor boy. I will see how happily he winters (last year was real struggle to keep weight on him) and how happy he is not being ridden etc and take it from there I think. Thanks for all your experiences and thoughts though, its really useful.

I dont really regret buying him (on good days!!), I still think it was worth a try and he has had a nice time with me and should be substantially more comfortable now than he was when I bought him :(