Rearing, arghh!

Ruto

Visit site
My unbacked, coming on 3yo Highland X can be a handful sometimes. When I'm leading him he'll begin to prance around me and then rear up and try get me with his front legs. He's almost got me in the head one time when I was taking him a walk up the local park. He's generally quite ploddy and lets you do anything with him and then BOOM! You're staring up at two hooves. I've tried being firm with him and reasonable but the more you tell him off the more aggressive he gets. He's only round about 13.2hh but I'm only 5'3. Does anyone have any good advice?

293629_10150277092003991_635663990_7440435_509504_n.jpg

Marydoll

Visit site
Do you do any work from the ground with him ?
He doesnt sound like hes got much respect for you, and is mabe at the stage where he's needing a bit of stimulation, have you any experience with youngsters ?

Ruto

Visit site
Thanks! He is gelded. He can be playful. But I've noticed he seems to rear and strike out when he's not getting his own way such as another pony being led away from him when he's told to stand, getting told off for bad behaviour etc.. When he does rear up I generally try to keep out of the way of his front feet! Haha. I do tell him off with a firm tug on the lead rope but that's about all I can think of doing.

I do a lot of ground work with him. He so far can be tacked up, lunged and sat on whilst being led. I don't like to over do it when they're under 3yo. I used to bring on rescued ponies and sell them on.

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
I like him - what a lovely head.

My highland used to do things like that occasionally when he was 3. He grew out of it with firm handling and an insistence on manners. (actually I taught him to rear on command and now he doesn't do it off command, but that's not something I'd necessarily recommend...)

Ruto

Visit site
What do you guys think of control head collars or chifeny's? I am strict with informing good manners with my ponies but the more I try to tell him off the more he wants to rear. He's a tough Cookie!

flirtygerty

Visit site
Get yourself a dually halter, insist on manners even if it takes all day.
if he rears make him back up, circle him, don't let him get away with it and most important WEAR A HAT WHEN HANDLING HIM
Or you could just send him to me, he is G for gorgeous

trojanpony

Visit site
I have been where you are with my youngster. Sadly I didn't realise how bad his disrespectful behaviour was until I had a bad accident. I wish now that I had sought help then to deal with his dominant behaviour over me. thankfully, despite a long road I have now learnt how to keep his respect and he is no trouble. I had a lot to learn to and needed professional help. happy to pm if you think any of this might be like you.

SophieLouBee

Visit site
Hat, gloves, stick, longline, bridle/chiffney. If you have the chiffney in, never yank on it, apply a firm steady pressure, yanking it can make them worse.

If he's going forwards, he cant go up as easily on you. Carry a schooling whip in your outside hand, and when he's stubborn, or hesitates, give him a tickle/tap with it. If by chance he does try and go up, keep him moving, circle him, keep his head tucked right in by your side (completely against what you instinct is saying "GET THE HELL AWAY", but try), as if his head stays there, it's very difficult for him to get up.

When you are leading, always make sure you are doing it properly, holding him correctly with both hands, not letting the rope slack etc. This is the reason for gloves, if he does pull away, it can slide through your hands without giving you rope burn!

Can you tell I have worked with rearing Tb's? haha....

Always Henesy

Visit site
Hat, gloves, stick, longline, bridle/chiffney. If you have the chiffney in, never yank on it, apply a firm steady pressure, yanking it can make them worse.

If he's going forwards, he cant go up as easily on you. Carry a schooling whip in your outside hand, and when he's stubborn, or hesitates, give him a tickle/tap with it. If by chance he does try and go up, keep him moving, circle him, keep his head tucked right in by your side (completely against what you instinct is saying "GET THE HELL AWAY", but try), as if his head stays there, it's very difficult for him to get up.

When you are leading, always make sure you are doing it properly, holding him correctly with both hands, not letting the rope slack etc. This is the reason for gloves, if he does pull away, it can slide through your hands without giving you rope burn!

Can you tell I have worked with rearing Tb's? haha....

:D:D:D
You don't want to come and work on my rearing ex-racehorse do you????
:D:D:D