Reassurance needed PLEASE

eahotson

Visit site
I am SUCH a wimp. Went out for second hack yesterday. All went well. Horse positively plodding along. Then dogs (yard ones with us) started crashing out of undergrowth near my horse who started shooting forward and getting on his toes. He didn't do much really and can hardly be blamed. I DID stop him. I DID sit up and DIDN'T fall off. Positive sides. Could have lived without though when trying to get my confidence on him.

KatB

Visit site
It happened, you survived and are none the worse for wear for it! Put it behind you, and forget about it!
grin.gif

PaddyMonty

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Put it behind you, and forget about it!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No don't.
smirk.gif
Remember it every time you have a confidence problem. You had the prob, you delt with it without mishap.
You did it once, you can do it again, and again and again.
Take the positives and hold on to them

miamibear

Visit site
You are doing so well please dont let this put you off.

Time will make things like this easier to accept, i know it has for me.

Put trust in your horse (this will come in time) and truly believe you are in charge of the situation.

Try to stay calm and relaxed try to concentrate on enjoying the hack without thinking what if and whats round the next bend or in the next hedgerow.

I know ive been there, its really hard BUT it is worth it in the end, see everything as a little achievement.

I think its a MASSIVE achievement to go through that and stay on and sit up and control your fears.

Keep going you are doing REALLY well.

Oh can we have some updated pics too!! LOL
grin.gif

lennysmith

Visit site
I know EXACTLY how you fee. I am in the same boat.

My old mare was so nappy on hacks I gave up and sold her. Now I have this inbuilt fear. It is crippling sometimes, and Josie is really very safe.

The night before I know I'm going to hack out I wont sleep. I'll feel sick all evening and there's no way I'll be able to eat dinner or breakfast!

Slowly but surely it was getting better, however, I then stopped riding her as we found out she was in foal. After that I've only pottered round the filed or in the menage.

Denver is all weaned and done now, and Josie comes back up to her stab;e on Sunday morning. So Sunday afternoon I AM hacking out. I know I'll feel like poo all day Saturday, with the 'what ifs' going on in my head. But I must do it.

Confidence is such a fragile thing, easily lost. Keep going little steps at a time, and I kow it's easier said than done, but do try and stop thinking for a second!!! I know when I go into 'what if phase' it's so much harder!

Remeber how well you coped this time when you had a hiccup and think forwards and positively. You will get there.
Goodluck xxxx

miamibear

Visit site
Yes piccies needed!! Maybe some of you riding? or is that pushing it? LOL

Honestly i think you are doing really well, dont put yourself down, you will get there it just takes time.

My first few hacks on new neddy were spent shaking - literally couldnt stop.

Now i will go out on my own and take charge of the situation.

All little achievements like what you have just had helped me realise i wasnt such a poo rider and even the things he did throw at me i could cope with.

You can cope and i truly believe next summer you will be out round those stubbles hacking in confidence!

Stick with it
grin.gif

Gingernags

Visit site
Now, see I'd class myself as hacking veteran - i've been pootling round the north york moors and hills for the last 20 odd years and have clocked up some mileage! I have a horse that I praise for being a total angel.

But I still have frights! The endurance ride I did the other week, first I scared myself over a ditch we had to climb through/step over/jump but we got through it 4 times without me falling off, then she chucked a minor tantrum and honestly my heart was in my boots! But I didn't fall off, and we were fine.

Even out hacking and her being a total sweetie, somthing random can always spook them and these days, though it does still scare me a bit, I just laugh at her antics. Seems to help a lot!

I mean, a 14 year old been there and done everything mare, being scared of a little old birdy flying out of a hedge and prancing about - is quite funny, she's a daft b*gger really.

Keep it up, you'll get there and I'm sure everyine has these moments!

Clodagh

Visit site
I am so pleased to read this thread...as you say, you always think you're the only one.
I have been at work this morning and have ridden two fit thoroughbred hunters out, in company.
This afternoon I have to take my horse out on my own and I feel sick.
Stupid, stupid, stupid!!
Since I had a fall I am total wuss on my own.
Have you tried Rescue Remedy? I use it before I go to tack up (after I have prised myself off the loo) and it really does help.
I am thinking...mmm, shall I lunge instead, but know I must go and do it.
Isn't this meant to be fun??
smirk.gif

Hornby

Visit site
The more you do and the more you cope with the better you will get...and you will learn what he will do (little prance, or whatever and then back to normal) so keep perserving even though you have to grit your teeth. Good luck (and pics ARE required, I am fancying a highland myself!)

4whitesocks

Visit site
You're doing brilliantly - and like everyone else has said - you are so not alone - I am a complete chicken sh*t when it comes to hacking out by myself (in fact not even that great in company!!) my last mare was a rearer and would rear & spin on the road for sport - couldn't cope & then she nearly killed someone who was trying to reschool her so she went - it's mad how something like that knocks your confidence BUT every time you get over a hurdle like you did yesterday you should give yourself a HUGE pat on the back......