Reassurance needed please

Louby

Visit site
Went to see my poor boy yesterday and hes bright but is hardly eating. We took him some carrots which he half heartedly ate a couple and I gave him an apple which he refused. His net was full and his breakfast still there. Its breaking my heart, hes on no painkillers at all so that he doesnt attempt to use his leg so he must be really sore but my boy usually has a very very healthy appetite. I cant ring to see how he is until tomorrow and I didnt want to look like the neurotic owner yesterday as I'd already blubbed the minute I saw him. I wish now I would have found someone and asked them.
The haylage was nothing like ours quality wise but to leave his bucket feed is unknown. I know hes in the best place but I worry about colic and the fact that he may be in so much pain. God life can be so cruel.

Pidge

Visit site
The staff at Leahurst are fab and really care about the horses. If your worried he's not eating their food have a word with them and see if you can take your own? When Higgs was there with GS we could take whatever we wanted to try to get him to eat. He may also be missing you as well. He is in the best place IMO, I know its hard but try to keep occupied, and don't worry about being a neurotic owner they are very sympathetic and human. Hope that helps in some way. Thinking of you.

Louby

Visit site
Awww thanks, just needed to talk to horsey people. Hubby is great and was fantastic on the night but he doesnt really understand how I feel. I dont think anyone can unless you have a horse.
I think my boys feeling proper sorry for himself too and wanted a bit of sympathy. When we arrived I saw him from my car and he looked bright. When we went to see him he put his head to the floor and left it there. They are feeding him Alfa A and nuts, he loves Alfa A, must just be feeling really not himself.
I'll stop going on know, thanks for listenning.

riotgirl

Visit site
Big hugs to you. It really is the worst feeling in the world to see your horse in pain. At least a person can you tell you matter! I'm sure your boy will be fine.

Jemayni

Visit site
Awww, poor po; I am not sure if this is reasurance, but when my horse went into the vets earlier this year (just so he could have more extensive tests, he wasn't really that ill just lame.) He refused to eat for the first two days, but after that he ate like a trooper! I think the stress and change in the surroundings can overwelm them....

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I reckon he is just feeling sorry for himself, and rightly so! The staff at Leahurst are brill and they won't let him 'not eat' for very long before some sort of action is taken. Tell him he'd better get used to it if he wants to be a better boy and come home to his mum. I'd put my feet up and enjoy not mucking out...... he'll be back before you know it.
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
I think at this early stage you really just need to take one day at a time. There will be many up's and down's I'm sure but you know he is in the best place and whatever can be done, will be done. Best of luck.

Louby

Visit site
Thanks everyone, feel better now. Im good at worrying if you havent already guessed!!
Its only been 3 days and Im so so bored, wont moan again having to get up at the crack of dawn!

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
Ditto what everyone else has said. My boy went off his food for a few days when he was in the hospital too but after a while his appetite came back and he figured out if he squeaked his splint enough the nurses would get fed up with him and give him more hay! He will be in pain but in this instance pain is a good thing as it is protecting his leg. It's not nice but it is necessary and he is in absolutely the right place.

Louby

Visit site
Happy Horse What happened to your horse? Sorry if youve told me in an earlier thread. Had so many kind replies I was a bit overwelmed.