Reassurance please...

EquestrianE01

Visit site
Hi everyone,
Apologies in advance as this is likely to be long. I'm after some reassurance that I'm doing the right thing.
I've currently got my wonderful girly booked in to be PTS tomorrow afternoon. This is after a very long hard battle with an abscess that I'll try and explain as briefly as possible.
It started about 3 months ago when she came in hopping lame, normal procedure of farrier, then vet when there was no improvement. Went a whole week with it still not draining and she was eventually referred to the veterinary hospital. This was late on a Friday evening and we were all very stressed. So, when they suggested doing a pedal scrape on Monday afternoon (something I've had no experience with), I asked them could they please ring me Monday morning to explain more and I would then make the decision as to whether to do it or not. Ava (the horse) was hospitalized over the weekend and I went to visit her.
Cutting a very long story short, Monday comes around and, despite my best efforts of trying to contact them, they went ahead without my consent. Had I know what it was and the after care, for this particular horse, I would have said no and taken her home to have her PTS then.
As she'd had the procedure, I felt that I owed it to her to at least attempt the healing process. This went amazingly, we went back to the hospital for the farrier and surgeon to have look at her and they were astounded by how good her foot looked. We left making an appointment for 5 weeks time, and I was told I might even be looking at riding her again after that.
Cut to 2 weeks (so about 1 month ago now) before we are due back, and I call my vet out as Ava's gone lame again and a large ridge had appeared in the middle of her foot. We're called back to the hospital a week early, surgeon and farrier both scratching their heads as not sure why this has happened. It was decided that the issue *could* be being caused by her thin hoof wall and too much instability in the foot, so a clog was fitted. I was happy with this, not invasive and fairly simple. She got put back onto box/pen rest and another appointment made for 5 weeks time.
It has now been 2 weeks since the clog was fitted, her foot has developed a ridge again and she's also quite lame, even on bute. I had my vet back out on Friday evening, and we spoke to the surgeon and farrier. They're running out of ideas, none of them have seen anything like this before and have no idea why it's happening.
I've been given 2 options.

1. Is to go back to the hospital again, after doing 3 weeks total box rest (we did the box rest last time which made no difference, and I had a very stressed horse). She will not stay in on her own, and the only horse we have to box rest her with is only 4 and didn't cope at all last time.
They have no idea what they are going to do if we go back, it would either be more surgery (definite no) or another clog. I would consider another clog but, in the surgeon's own words, why would we do it again if it hasn't worked this time?
I'm also struggling to see how 3 weeks stuck inside is any different to her going out in a stable size pen (current situation)? Please correct if I'm wrong here though.

2. Is to call it a day here.
My own vet has said she will support me in either decision, however she's not optimistic at Ava making any recovery. Of course there's a chance, but none of us know what that chance is as it's so unusual. She's worried that we'll get months down the line and end up in exactly the same place we are now, having put the horse through yet more (unnecessary) stress and pain.

If someone had asked me months ago, I could have predicted that she would not heal well from something like this and wouldn't have done it at all. Her feet have never been her strong point and I've always been aware that any serious problems with them would probably not end well.
My (very horsey) Mum's view on it is that I've given it a very good chance and have done everything the vets have suggested, and if it had been up to me I never would have done it in the first place, so why am I dithering now?
I've currently got a horse that is obviously in a huge amount of pain and is constantly miserable. She has other issues with her back, back legs and shoulders, those are all flaring up now with all the extra strain being put on. So even if the foot gets better, what other damage has now been done?

So I'm asking you lovely people of HHO, for reassurance that this is the right thing to do? She's only 14 but incredibly high mileage. She's not got the best temperament in the world and can be very aggressive in times of stress.
I love her to pieces and, although I've had to make the call before with other horses of mine, this has been one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. She's been through hell and back, even before all of this, and I just want to know that I'm doing what's right by her.

Tea and biscuits if you've made it this far.
TIA

be positive

Visit site
It is always far more difficult to make the call when you have gone so far down the road the vets have taken you, if they had not gone ahead and started the treatment you may have found it slightly easier to do so, you are really in a lose, lose position, with a very unlikely win if you continue and all the time it sounds as if the mare and you are extremely unhappy so I would go with your gut which I think is the right choice for you both.

I helped someone in a similar position a while ago when we decided not to treat because the outcome was potentially not going to be good and I felt she would have been more emotionally invested if 2 months along things went downhill, extremely likely, so we called it a day without starting treatment, the horse had been made comfortable first, it is so difficult when vets want to help but you know your horse and want to do best by them.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
you've been pretty unlucky to get pedal bone involvement that quickly but the hoof change is clearly significant. I think the important bit here is it might be fixable but there are clearly welfare compromises to even try that which sound like they aren't right for your horse.

I imagine those on the yard are in the it was just an abscess I wouldn't have a horse PTS for that mode.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I think PTS is a sensible option here- it sounds like there are other issues beside the foot, so I think you might end up chasing problems round.

On a side note, and I know it wasn’t the point of your thread, I would be absolutely livid at my vet treating without expressed consent and would be reporting to BEVA.

EquestrianE01

Visit site
you've been pretty unlucky to get pedal bone involvement that quickly but the hoof change is clearly significant. I think the important bit here is it might be fixable but there are clearly welfare compromises to even try that which sound like they aren't right for your horse.

I imagine those on the yard are in the it was just an abscess I wouldn't have a horse PTS for that mode.

Her feet are a long standing issue that I thought were under control. She then developed seedy toe in December last year. The theory from vets is that this has been brewing for a while, but she only presented lame 3 months ago.

I think PTS is a sensible option here- it sounds like there are other issues beside the foot, so I think you might end up chasing problems round.

On a side note, and I know it wasn’t the point of your thread, I would be absolutely livid at my vet treating without expressed consent and would be reporting to BEVA.

I quite agree with you MG, it's the reason I've not put too much info in my post as it's an ongoing process.

Thank you everyone for your kind words

Goldenstar

Visit site
I fully agree with your thinking .
PTS is an emotive subject and you need to be strong and discuss with no one ( that’s my choice ) or only with your most trusted horsey friends .
It’s awful when you get into a big veterinary palaver with and you call a halt to it you keep thinking just do this see if we win and it’s hideous I have been here three times once ten days ago .
Have a hug it’s hard

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i always look at quality of life now and what it will be in the future, if there is no chance of a good quality of life then IMO there is no other decision to make. you have tried and she is still not comfortable so you are right to take that decision...try and ignore the do gooders they are not looking at it from the horse's point of view...

Visit site
I too would be pts. It is a hard decision- made harder by your vets doing a procedure that you didn't want and thus extending the time needed to think about things. Quality of life must come into it. If there is none with no prospect of it on the horizon then there is no decision.

It will be hard, it always is. The choice is yours but I suspect many will be standing right beside you with this.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Unfortunately there will always be people that disagree with pts for any reason other than things like an acute episode of colic or in an emergency situation following an accident. These people think you should continue on and on with treatment until every possible option has been tried, whether or not there is a good chance of a successful outcome. You have to make the right decision for your particular horse and that may well be a different decision to someone else in similar circumstances. Of course listen to advice and opinions, but nobody else is in exactly your situation and people should respect that.

meleeka

Visit site
Look at it this way. What would be the hardest thing to deal with 1-putting her to sleep now, ending her suffering but possibly shortening her (hard) life by some time (which isn’t going to make any difference to her, just you) or 2- carrying on with treatment, putting her through more stress and either ending up in the same situation in a few months or fixing this problem and still having all the original problems to deal with which could possibly be worse by then.

It would be a no brainier for me I’m afraid. I promise you’ll feel better once it’s done x

hairycob

Visit site
There will always be people who wouldn't consider pts even if the poor horse would like to book itself in. Ignore them, you know your horse and clearly love her too much to want her to suffer. Look after yourself too and avoid the people who will make it tougher for you.

misst

Visit site
I don't post often anymore but a long time ago we had my daughters horse of a lifetime in a similar situation. Different diagnosis but chronic injury to foot.
After months and months of box rest, a very miserable stressed horse, large bills and a devastated teenager, Sue Dyson at the AHT was the only person honest enough to say there was little or no hope of recovery. We PTS but people on the yard were not supportive and one person offered to "take him off our hands" "if you don't want him". It was additional pain to think people were judging us. Since then I would agree with others on here and keep MY decision about MY horse to myself. You know your horse and you have made your decision out of love and commitment to her.
Thinking of you tomorrow.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I agree with the consensus. It's so much harder once you've started an intensive treatment process too so you've done very well to be able to step back and say enough is enough. X

I'd be very upset with the vets in the first place and your helpful yard people can take a long walk along a short pier as far as I'm concerned.

Wishing you strength for tomorrow. X