Rebuilding a lorry - any experiences?

NooNoo59

Visit site
i am looking at taking my lorry off the road for a year and saving up to get a newer chassis for it, the body is in good nick but the chassis and cab are heading for problems which is going to get expensive. Anyone got a new chassis for their existing lorry and how was it? How expensive, were you pleased with the outcome, would you recommend doing it. The current body is in really good condition very solid and ticks all my boxes but the chassis is going to be ongoing problem. Any input welcome thanks.

Fiona

Visit site
i am looking at taking my lorry off the road for a year and saving up to get a newer chassis for it, the body is in good nick but the chassis and cab are heading for problems which is going to get expensive. Anyone got a new chassis for their existing lorry and how was it? How expensive, were you pleased with the outcome, would you recommend doing it. The current body is in really good condition very solid and ticks all my boxes but the chassis is going to be ongoing problem. Any input welcome thanks.

We did this on our 6 ton Iveco about 6 or 7 years ago.

We upgraded from a 2000 chassis to a 2008 one, and it was marvellous, because the second one was much higher spec with 6 gears etc.

It went back to the company who had built it, and they are very slow, but it took a couple of months I think.

Definitely recommend doing it.

Fiona

Louby

Visit site
Yes and it was a nightmare! It did look fab in the end but it cost us a fortune, was endless stress with the useless guy doing it and was problem after problem. Infact in the end we finished off the last bits ourselves as he'd had it more than 12 mths and had basically given up on it. He had done them before but this had a full living and I think he had bitten off more than he could chew when it came to sorting all the electrics and wiring out. He had done other jobs on it prior to this and it was actually his idea to do a body swap and we were well and truely stuffed as it was in no condition to just turn up and get it out of there. We and he thought the body was good but it turned out bits were rotten, so we would turn up and bits of the body were missing etc!!! Also 2 lots of brakes too as they had seized as it had been stood so long.
My advice would be research like mad and take it somewhere who knows what they are doing, we thought he did but it was just too much for him. The finished article looked good but half the things in there didnt work

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Depends on the construction I think
OH did one himself, it was quite difficult I think and he's got lots of kit ;) that had cut through cab and skirts etc. I would def get the professionals in if you go that route ;)

My old YO had an ali container transferred from one chassis to another quite simply though.

Louby

Visit site
Depends on the construction I think
OH did one himself, it was quite difficult I think and he's got lots of kit ;) that had cut through cab and skirts etc. I would def get the professionals in if you go that route ;)

My old YO had an ali container transferred from one chassis to another quite simply though.
Yes mine was coachbuilt, its years ago now but something I wouldnt want to re live, we didnt know anything about swapping chassis and trusted this guy. He said it was easy??? We had to source a chassis thats cab fit under the luton, to make the job easier o_O. Its actually laughable now how we were sucked in, although I did cry lots at the time lol!!!

NooNoo59

Visit site
We did this on our 6 ton Iveco about 6 or 7 years ago.

We upgraded from a 2000 chassis to a 2008 one, and it was marvellous, because the second one was much higher spec with 6 gears etc.

It went back to the company who had built it, and they are very slow, but it took a couple of months I think.

Definitely recommend doing it.

Fiona
Mine is an Iveco as well, how much did it cost roughly?