recently purchased horse dangerous. "HOW DO I STAND?"

shelbie

Visit site
Purchased new horse on 26th of march . I had been to try him a week before. Rode in school, very quiet, asked owner to ride him out onto road which she did with her Dad walking alongside , just went into layby for 2 mins then came back, in total 10 mins.The horse stood quietly in the yard, people seemed genuine, had no reason to doubt this horse at all. my big mistake was that I DIDNT RIDE HIM OUT and have Ipaid for that.He is a completely different horse , in fact Iwould go so far as to say "HE IS DANGEROUS".have ridden him out both alone and in company, 10 - 15 mins into ride he spins round, backs up then rears and continues rearing . He refuses to go forward, backwards or move in any direction.Ihave to jump off quickly, frightened he may go over backwards.then lead him back to the yard , or should I say get dragged back to yard.This is every time he is ridden.contacted previous owner and of course this is all news to them, THE HORSE WAS A PARAGON OF VIRTUE when they had him. Iexchanged several emails with owners before I purchased him , all of which I still have, saying how good the horse is. On the receipt for my moneythey have written"SOLD ONE HORSE FOR THE SUM OF £1200, SOLD AS SEEN AND TRIED RIDDEN ON TRIAL RIDE".HOW DO I STAND?I am lumbered with a dangerous horse, which had Ihave been a novice rider would probably have killed me.

Skippys Mum

Visit site
Sounds like the poor horse is just scared. He is in a strange place with none of his friends and his new owner is (understandably) scared of him.

Personally I would get the original owner to come and ride him if they would. If not, I would get some lessons with him and get some groundwork done - build up a bit of a bond. He sounds like he is napping and that can be down to a lack of confidence.

Bottom line mind you, is he was a cheap horse sold as seen. You pays your money and you takes your chances. Unless these folk are dealers I doubt you have any comeback :(

sleepykitten

Visit site
When I first got my new horse, I was in exactly the same situation as you, couldn't get him out of the yard etc etc, backing up, rearing exactly as you have described. Now I have a very quiet and laid back horse you can do anything with. My friend has a TB who went from being the quietest horse on earth to a loony who wouldn't go out of the yard when she moved yards.

I'm not saying that its definitely the case here, but sometimes a move and change of ownership can have a real impact on a horse. Think about it, he has no friends any more, he has someone new on his back that feels and rides him totally different to what he's used to, he doesn't know any of the routes etc etc.

My advice would be go right back to basics with him, do ground work and establish your dominance and get him to trust you. Lots of grooming, scratching, making him back up out of your space etc. Then maybe try getting him going in company with another horse or someone on foot.

Worked wonders for me! :)

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
Have no idea. But the horse has been with you 4 days and you have decided he's dangerous. I probably would have given him a week to settle in. Then I'd have to figure out how I was going to sort said problem or sell.

When I sent my mare away last year for jumper training I went to help her settle in. As soon as in her box she started weaving like a mad woman for about 5 mins. I looked at them and said I swear she doesn't weave and never has. I bred her and was with her everyday of her life near enough. She NEVER did that. She stopped and was fine but imagine how damn stupid I felt. And can only imagine if I had sold her and got the call from new owners that she weaves and me going she never did that before.

This is just to show you that sometimes a settled horse is settled because they are used to their routine and have been for awhile. Some horses get a little bonkers at change and take longer to settle.

Terri

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I have to agree, because he was sold as seen I don't think there is any comeback.
You've only had him 4 days so he is still adjusting to a new environment.

Curiously, did they ever hack him more than 10 minutes? Its strange they had someone walking beside if he hacked alone confidently as previous home? Why didn't you ride him out if that's what you want him for?

How is he when you ride him in a school?

M_G

Visit site
You have only had him for 4 days of course the horse is not only confused but probably trying it on to see where he stands in the herd.

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
You have had him less than a week. It is no time for a horse to settle, new people, new horses, new place, new routes, probably new routine, new everything. It is a huge amount for a horse to deal with and his confidence is rock bottom. I would spend loads of time grooming and just hanging out with him to get to know him then take him for a few walks in hand so he can see the new area but with you by his side for confidence. I would also get a couple of lessons on him to help with your confidence with him. Give him a chance though and try not to panic. I bet he will be great for you when things settle down. Also, this is a time of year when a lot of horses are a bit loopy with the spring grass. It is also a time where there can be a deficiency of magnesium so maybe get him some magnitude from equine america. keep his starch levels low too. Hope it goes well for you.

JingleTingle

Visit site
Did they say how long they had owned him? Did you have him vetted? did you have bloods taken? Did you test him for dehydration? Is he being kept in the same way he was with previous owner (livery yard, private home, in or out?) Sorry so many questions but all of these are actually quite important if you are claiming the horse is actually dangerous.

Even in these tough times with lower market prices, he was a cheap horse unless he is very old, very young, has health issues or behaviour issues. I cannot see quite what sort of horse you were expecting for £1200? I am not being harsh here - just pointing out the realistic expectations if that is what you paid?

4 days?? And he is already labelled dangerous! Poor horse, he might well be a paragon of virtue that is feeling, alone, frightened and vulnerable and just needs a bit of time and patience to help settle him in with you. Or he could be a total nutter that the previous owner was just pleased to get rid of, whatever the price. If this is the case and AFTER you have explored all avenues, pain, experienced rider, experienced helper etc. then the kindest thing would be to PTS - please do not prolong his misery here at the mercy of humans who don't give a toss for him and try to fob him off on someone else - just PTS and write it off to experience, for his sake if not your own.:mad:

shelbie

Visit site
thanks. yes made massive mistake not riding him out, I do know that.Ihave lunged him before riding, spent lots of time with him and have ridden out in company. fortunately I am able to ride straight into forest , no road work . Idread to think what would have happened if he had played up on the road.I suppose you do get what you pay for, but then owners should give honest descriptions because after all its peoples lives they are putting at risk.

JingleTingle

Visit site
thanks. yes made massive mistake not riding him out, I do know that.Ihave lunged him before riding, spent lots of time with him and have ridden out in company. fortunately I am able to ride straight into forest , no road work . Idread to think what would have happened if he had played up on the road.I suppose you do get what you pay for, but then owners should give honest descriptions because after all its peoples lives they are putting at risk.

I agree - sellers SHOULD be honest, but it is the real world and sadly they rarely are 100 per cent in my experience. You rightly point out that it is peoples lives they are putting at risk, yes it is and that is shocking - but do keep in mind that these people are also putting the horse's life at considerable risk in more ways that one!:(

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com

you can't have spent that much time with him, he has only been there 4 days. please read what everyone has said about how he must be feeling. please don't write him off. He is napping, that is napping behaviour because he is frightened.You said he does this every time you ride, how many time is that? how is he in the yard/stable/field ?

PerlinoPlank

Visit site
Horses can be totally different creatures in different environments.

You've seen him hack out (ok, only for 10mins) and I presume he wasn't spinning/rearing then otherwise you wouldn't have bought him? So you know he CAN hack out and unless you had him vetted and bloods taken you have no way of knowing if he had been drugged or not.
Have you tried having someone walk with him like the previous owner did? He may need confience from someone on the ground.

You pay your money and take your chances and personally, I think you're being quite unfair to the poor pony; let him settle in, get to know you and test boundaries on the ground first. Take him for an in hand walk and let him get used to his new surroundings. Build up a relationship and some trust in one another instead of expecting him to be an emotionless machine.

I'm not sure if you said in your post how long the previous owners had had him, but imagine if the poor sod had been with his old mum at his old home all his life, then bang, everything changes. You can forgive him for being a bit shaken up. To label him dangerous after only a few days of owning him is unfair in my opinion.

LisW

Visit site
Could it be that he is more used to road hacking than the excitement / possibly fear of unknown of hacking straight out into a forest?? I do think it's early days though. Maybe you could give him more time to settle?

sykokat

Visit site
Give him a chance! He's only been with you for 4 days and thats no time at all!! Some horses settle in straight away and some take some considerable time. When they move home and change owners, they do wonder whats going to happen to them and can take some time trusting new people. I have had my boy a week short of a year and only just started to 'get to know' him. He has done all sorts of things that I know he didnt do before as I know the girl that had him before me but he is coming on a treat. Just glad I stuck with him as hes one of the most lovable and eager to please horses I know. You need to give him a lot more time

L&M

Visit site
Another case of 'buyer beware' I am afraid, and assuming it was a private sale, no you don't have any legal rights, (known as Caveat Empore in legal terms).

Did the alarm bells not ring when the previous owner hacked with somone walking beside them? It would have certainly been something I would have questioned.

There has already been a lot of good advice on here, and certainly hacking out with a human or equestrian companion would be the first port of call.

Give it time and take it slow - the last horse I bought scared the life out of me for the first 6 mnths of ownership, but now he is Mr Reliable (well 90% of the time!) and am no longer worried by his antics at all.

Sadly sellers are not always 100 % honest and will often furnish the truth to get a sale, or worse to pass on a 'problem horse', but the trick as a buyer is to ask the right questions in the first place.

Good luck, and if the situation does not improve, I would be looking for some professional help.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Goodness, give this horse a chance! Sounds just like my mare was when I first got her. Turned out to be my horse of a lifetime.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
i would say you stand nowhere, private sale and hey covered all angles by writing sold as seen and ridden trial.
In all honesty though you haven't had him very long at all, i don't even ride a new one for the first few days, i like to let them settle in and spend some time getting to know them.They are not machines, like us they take time to settle somewhere new, make friends and get to know their way around;)
Have you ridden him in the school? how was he ? have you tried walking him in hand up and down the road, or have someone walk with you when you ride him? rather unfair to label him dangerous in such a short time :(

be positive

Visit site
I wont go into the what you should do with him but in answer to your question no you do not have any comeback, the receipt said sold as seen and that is exactly what you have done, the way it was worded carefully makes me think he is difficult and has history. Most people without some knowledge would be unlikely to write this in any receipt, many do not even think about doing one.

Even if you had evidence of previous behaviour , taking court action is not worth it, they are private individuals and a case like this is almost impossible to prove.

JingleTingle

Visit site
thanks , I can see everyones point . all I need to know is "Do I have any come back?"

Ok you have made your point clear - after 4 days you dont want him, you dont give a rat's arse what happens to him, you want your money back, you don't want to put any effort into settling him in and helping him adjust to this huge change in his life (and very possibly yet another change in a long list of quick changes in his sorry life).

In other words, you dont want suggestions as to how you might help him , you want rid and your money back? Tough!:( I dont' think you have a hope in hell, poor horse.:rolleyes:

Tinseltoes

Visit site
It took my horse a longtime to settle in.He was great once settled. Give him plenty of time to settle in. Try lunging him for 20 mins before riding.

ladyt25

Visit site
I have to say i do agree with everyone else and wonder what ever happened to the "buyer beware" when it comes to horse purchases? In my mind a horse is a horse, an animal, it is NOT a machine and they can act completely differently with different riders and in different environments. Of course, I don't feel that a genuine horse would rear to be honest and a proper rear is something a horse has to establish and become confident doing. However, without someone being with you to confirm the extent of his rearing it's hard to say whether it's a proper rear or not - it always feels a heck of a lot worse (and higher) when you're on board!

Unless you can prove without doubt that this horse has a history of this behaviour then I don't think you have any come back tobe honest. Eben if you could prove it, you bought the horse. Buying horses is a risk. The ONLY come back i would say you had would be if you had a vetting doen at purchase, had bloods taken and now had them tested to see if the horse was doped when you tried it.

To me I would have ben automatically suspicious as to why she needed her dad to walk with her out on the road - if the horse was good then why would she need this?

To me, it seems the horse lacks confidence and that can only come from you. I would get yourself a GOOD instructor who understands horse behaviour and psychology to help you assess why the horse is acting like this. If you genuinely like the horse then I think with time and patience these horses can be turned round BUT, if you are a novice owner/rider then maybe you should look at getting help to rehome to someone who can help the horse?

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
As a seller the same thing happened to me, the pony I sold wasn't given time to settle in. I was taken to court and had to take the pony back and refund livery cost etc. So buyer beware didn't mean jack to the judge I was infront of. He knew absolutely nothing about horses.

Amaranta

Visit site
Ok you have made your point clear - after 4 days you dont want him, you dont give a rat's arse what happens to him, you want your money back, you don't want to put any effort into settling him in and helping him adjust to this huge change in his life (and very possibly yet another change in a long list of quick changes in his sorry life).

In other words, you dont want suggestions as to how you might help him , you want rid and your money back? Tough!:( I dont' think you have a hope in hell, poor horse.:rolleyes:

I'm with grumptoldmare on this, feel very sorry for the horse :(