Recommeded horse insurance and wind sucking?

CAYLA

Visit site
Who do you all use recommend for insurance and what level of cover, how much per illness or year? (dogs are my fortee not horses):D
AND
Any advice re wind sucking?
Not my horse, im just letting someone use my old field (I lost my horse a few years ago, he was never insured:eek: (perks of the job), never any issues/never even seen a vet till he was pts and never wind sucked? I witnessed this today in a horse for the first time as I visited my field and it shocked me:( poor horse.
Is there any ways this can be helped (obs not stopped)? electric fencing and collars where mentioned??

littlemisslauren

Visit site
IME Collars just mask the problem and are bordering on cruel. These vices develop because the horse is stressed / un happy in its routine. You need to fix the problem not just a symptom.

Usually the key to breaking these vices down is to pull apart the horses management and diet to see where the horse could be lacking.
Is the neddy alone or with company?

And of course... some horses started to do it when they were diddy and just keep doing it for fun!

littlemisslauren

Visit site
Yeah I know! Thought you were too cool for moi these days!

I'm ok, just a bit fat and preggers right now. I'll send you a PM, I've been having major head desk issues with in laws and their pooch :p

Realistically if neddy has always done it and is otherwise happy and healthy it is probably just a learned behaviour now. All you can do it limit damage to fence posts by running a strip of leccy along the inside.

dingle12

Visit site
It's very hard to break the habit once they do it, you can just try and make them do it less. We use a coller at competitions and once it's on he stops even attempting it. Does yours just stand in the field and do it all the time? Is it a stressed out horse? Try painting crib stop it's awful stuff but works onto the fence also electric fence is a good idea however they only find the posts and pull on them. The other horse will prob start doing it too as they tend to pick it up off each other.

Sorry no help insurance wise..

Lady La La

Visit site
I am too cool:cool::p
Preggers:eek: how did I miss that:confused: you and La La? dear me you rudies:p
Give me a catch up then, share the gossip:p:D

Wont be long till you're following in our footsteps though eh Cayla :D

I have PMd..

Yeah I'm all huge and fat and stuff! Lala copied me... she's like 5 days behind me!!

Actually, I think you copied my entire life plan, you just got the preggers bit in a fraction earleir than me so as not to look like a total stalker :p :D

Hedwards

Visit site
There is a lot of evidence out there now that is suggesting crib-biting & wind sucking are actually hereditory, so it may well be that this horse has it in its genetics... a line of electric fencing around the wood fencing may well help to stop it, but a lot of horses will just find somewhere else to do it.

Insurance wise, I use PetPlan think they normally have 3 levels of insurance depending on how much you want to spend, I generally go for the 'middle' level paying about £48 a month, my mare is on their veteran policy and is £15 a month, NFU always seem to have good reviews on here too.