Recommend a transport comapny please?!

Illusion100

Visit site
Planning to move my horse from East Yorkshire to Co. Down, NI.

He's never been on a long journey and certainly not on a boat before. He does travel well but would prefer his first experience like this to be in the company of other horses.

So has anyone used a particular company for this sort of thing and would you put any experiences/names forward? Pm's are fine too. :)

Thanks very much, much appreciated.

crabbymare

Visit site
I would look up racehorse transporters like george mullins or look in the back of gorsebridge catalogues. otherwise there is a user I think irish girl or irish gal that may know who is who

Gusbear

Was Richmond, Surrey now a mountain forest in Oz.
Visit site
Another vote for Eric Gillies. Transported my horse 4 years ago, 7 hours from County Durham to Surrey. Horse hadn't been in a lorry for nearly 4 years and a was big nervous lad. They were fantastic. Driver called me regularly with updates and was an amazing horseman. Would use them again in a heartbeat.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Gillies are great-just sent one off with them a couple of weeks back. Lovely lorries, low ramps and airy etc. They dont feed hay on route though so might be an issue for some. LOC also good but seem to be concentrating on Spain etc right now.

Zuzan

Visit site
Things to consider having travelled with Gillies from far North of Scotland to Dunbar.. (about 5 and half hours straight)

My horse hated the stops and starts picking up and dropping off other horses. The actual journey time worked out at about 10 hours each way.. all without any hay/lage. I have subsequently travelled her alone in a friend's lorry.. much less stress..

Gillies are professional.. and their lorrys excellent. I would ask them or whoever else you consider how many stops and pickups etc they would probably do and get a realistic time for the journey. I would also insist on hayledge and either provide it yourself or ensure the transporter provides and replenishes haylage.

you may find you need to get two quotes .. one shared transport and one dedicated ..