Recommend me a fly spray!!

BorgRae

Visit site
Hi everyone!!

Ok, so fly rugs are purchased for this coming Summer (if we have one!), but I generally spray the fly rug as well to really keep those nasty bugs away!

Last year I used Avon's Skin so soft, but that wasn't brilliant.

Are there any good fly sprays on the market that you would recommend?

Thanks for your help!! :D

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I use Deosect - it's expensive, but as you water it down it works out really cost effective and unless the flies are really bad, I didn't need to apply it everyday.

Dizzleton

Visit site
I make my own! It's a lot cheaper, organic and doesn't contain harmful pesticides that can damage the nervous system.

It's really easy to make and it lasts ages :)

cyberhorse

Visit site
EQyss marigold. We are already getting the first few midgey things flying about at night and it seems to be working better than the Deet did last year. It also does not set me off sneezing and having my eyes streaming which is a bonus.

BorgRae

Visit site
hmm, I thought about making a homemade one, but there are so many different variations!!

If I do go homemade, what's the best recipe? :eek:

Ta muchly!!

StormyMoments

Visit site
Deosect - works really well on my guys and only had to apply it once weekly 1 cap to 500ml of water it had lasted me 5 years so far its only the little bottle too! its good stuff flys hate the smell and if they bite the horse they die so less flys yeyyy especially as they seem to be attracted to chestnuts!

Tash88

Visit site
I can't remember the brand but I use the one in a white bottle with green lettering. I tend to buy a big canister at the beginning of spring/summer as it's cheaper and then I don't run out all summer. It's reasonably priced, works on my horse and the citronella smell makes me feel all nostalgic and summery :)

budley95

Visit site
I'm another one that likes the Lincoln fly spray. I find it works quite well, they also do the roll on gel, which is quite handy to put on their faces before the fly mask! I found it worked really well last year and I still have some left where it seems to last a long time.

Polos

Visit site
On my old horse who was paranoid of flies I used to use leovet power phaser (in a white and red bottle) and that was fab.

On my two now I just use lincoln fly spray as they don't seem to be too bothered by the flies.

Dizzleton

Visit site
hmm, I thought about making a homemade one, but there are so many different variations!!

If I do go homemade, what's the best recipe? :eek:

Ta muchly!!

I boil 1 litre of water and soak 4 organic strong teabags in there for about an hour. I then add 4 - 6 drops of the following:

Citronella
Lavender
White vinegar
Tea-Tree
Coat shine

kellybee

Visit site
Last yr I was feeding my SI pony on Skratch Plus. Last week when the flies came out I couldn't find the fly spray so I watered some SP down and wiped it on the horses. Not a fly in sight!! Wouldn't put it on a grey horse because it's dark in colour but yea, fab stuff!