Recommend: re-schooling for sales livery – North West (Preston)

BorgRae

Visit site
My friend has a 5 year old Warmblood that she has come to realise is far too much for her. It’s a VERY long story that I won’t bore you with the details...

Basically the mare is very difficult and needs starting from scratch, schooling and selling. She was backed at 4 and turned away for 6 months. Friend bought her just as she was being brought back into work.

Friend has had a serious accident on her and will be off work and horses for at least 6 months.

So can anyone recommend a GOOD professional yard that will take on a difficult youngster, re-school them and sell them on?

She would prefer somewhere where we can see her progress and have regular updates, so somewhere near Preston would be ideal. Cheshire, Manchester etc.

Thank you!!

Oscar

Visit site
It could take a long time to re-start her and get her sold & your friend may end up spending more than she gets for the horse!

I would advertise the mare very honestly & price accordingly for a quick sale so no one is in any doubt of what the mare can/cannot do. A site like project horses maybe.

BorgRae

Visit site
This may be an option, but we're hoping to talk to some professionals first to get their opinion. If they think it will take 6 months + then this may be the only option, if it’s a case of 2-3 months, then that’s more reasonable…

Unfortunately she paid £4,500 for her, hence why she'd prefer to get some good professional advice and take it from there. She may never get that back, but the mare has wonderful paces and has fab blood lines, she just needs a good trainer to help her.

dollymix

Visit site
I recently sold mine through sales livery. I think it is important to accept you will likely lose money due to cost of sending her away but the way I looked at it was that I would be paying livery to have her at home so it was just the difference really. For me, it was more about breaking the bond. I was very attached to the mare and although I accepted we weren't right for each other I wanted the best for her. Removing myself from the process was the best thing for her and I still got a good price (although a drop on what I paid for her -also worth bearing in mind that horses aren't selling for what they did a year or two ago)

BorgRae

Visit site
I recently sold mine through sales livery. I think it is important to accept you will likely lose money due to cost of sending her away but the way I looked at it was that I would be paying livery to have her at home so it was just the difference really. For me, it was more about breaking the bond. I was very attached to the mare and although I accepted we weren't right for each other I wanted the best for her. Removing myself from the process was the best thing for her and I still got a good price (although a drop on what I paid for her -also worth bearing in mind that horses aren't selling for what they did a year or two ago)

She's definitely accepted she'll loose some money as the sales livery won't be cheap. But she wants what's best for her, and giving her a fighting chance by sending her away to be professionally schooled will hopefully mean that she'll go to a decent home in the end?! That's the hope anyway.

It’s a hard decision as she was ‘supposed’ to be her dream horse of a lifetime. But she knows when enough is enough, and it’s time to send her to someone that can help her reach some potential before she’s sold and move on to a home that can continue to develop her to her full potential.

Fingers crossed we’ll find a good place!!!

dollymix

Visit site
I can understand where your friend is coming from - I thought mine was to be my horse of a lifetime but alas it wasn't meant to be. Nothing wrong with horse, we just weren't suited.

Always remember too that there are plenty of very experienced riders out there who wouldn't mind a "quirky" but talented horse. I have a friend like that!! For them, her breeding and potential would outweigh many behavioural issues.

For what it's worth, from sounds of your own situation I think your friend is doing the right thing.

Good luck with finding someone

BorgRae

Visit site
I can understand where your friend is coming from - I thought mine was to be my horse of a lifetime but alas it wasn't meant to be. Nothing wrong with horse, we just weren't suited.

Always remember too that there are plenty of very experienced riders out there who wouldn't mind a "quirky" but talented horse. I have a friend like that!! For them, her breeding and potential would outweigh many behavioural issues.

For what it's worth, from sounds of your own situation I think your friend is doing the right thing.

Good luck with finding someone

Thank you!

That'll give her some hope :) If she can fine someone that can live with the 'quirks' she could be amazingly talented in the right hands... Who knows, with the right raining, she may have no 'quirks'!

Just got to find the right place for her to go for the right training!

Thanks again for your response, it's much appreciated :D x

Sunshine

Visit site
What discipline is the horse aimed at? Close to Preston there is Gill at Dressage Ponies UK or Astrid Bolton, both have a lot of contacts and could know of someone who can help dependent on your budget.

chamer

New User
Visit site
Hi. I would highly recommend Charlotte at CJC Eventing - don't be put off by the name - Charlotte does everything, BD, BE, BS, showing, happy hackers, you name it. She took my very hot, very complicated little warmblood mare as a newly broken, immature 5 year old and introduced her to show jumping and eventing in just a few weeks. Charlotte is quiet, firm and consistent (and very brave) so the horse always know where they are and what is being asked of them. She will spend as long as it takes to help the horse understand what it should be doing and doesn't rush them.. At the same time she is excellent at seeing when a horse needs to be challenged a bit more. I was so impressed by the work Charlotte did with my mare and the way I was welcomed as an owner that I bought one just for her to bring on and compete. You can reach her at CJCEventing.weebly.com or CJCEventing on Facebook. She's based in Sandbach in Cheshire.

Tiffany

Visit site
Out of curiosity what does the mare do. Is she a real problem or just too much for your friend. Sorry to hear about her accident by the way, hope she's recovering we'll.

I know a couple of people who might consider buying her, work with her over time and then sell her on.

BorgRae

Visit site
What discipline is the horse aimed at? Close to Preston there is Gill at Dressage Ponies UK or Astrid Bolton, both have a lot of contacts and could know of someone who can help dependent on your budget.

She is bred for Dressage, I can't remember her breeding but it's very good. She has fantastic paces and will go far with the right person. I'll contact Gill and Astrid, thank you :)

Hi. I would highly recommend Charlotte at CJC Eventing - don't be put off by the name - Charlotte does everything, BD, BE, BS, showing, happy hackers, you name it. She took my very hot, very complicated little warmblood mare as a newly broken, immature 5 year old and introduced her to show jumping and eventing in just a few weeks. Charlotte is quiet, firm and consistent (and very brave) so the horse always know where they are and what is being asked of them. She will spend as long as it takes to help the horse understand what it should be doing and doesn't rush them.. At the same time she is excellent at seeing when a horse needs to be challenged a bit more. I was so impressed by the work Charlotte did with my mare and the way I was welcomed as an owner that I bought one just for her to bring on and compete. You can reach her at CJCEventing.weebly.com or CJCEventing on Facebook. She's based in Sandbach in Cheshire.

Thank you for this, I will contact them as well. The longer list I can get, the best chance she will have of finding the right trainer and owner for her. Thank you :)

Out of curiosity what does the mare do. Is she a real problem or just too much for your friend. Sorry to hear about her accident by the way, hope she's recovering we'll.

I know a couple of people who might consider buying her, work with her over time and then sell her on.

I've PM'd you :)

To be honest I don't think she has a massive problem, I just think she’s tried it on a few times and has now found a way of getting out of work. She needs sorting now before she does get any worse, but I think a competant trainer/owner will be able to sort her quickly and have a wonderful horse at the end :)