Recommend some winter must haves...

I See Clover

Visit site
I have some money left over from my birthday last week and got some put aside for some winter stuff for me and the horse. Just wondering if anyone has bought anything recently they would like to recommend? Can be anything at all from rugs to winter jackets to gloves to tack etc etc!

crabbymare

Visit site
sealskinz are great also silk motorbike gloves to go under my normal ones and insulated boots as if my hands and feet are warm the rest of me feels fine.

Vetwrap

Visit site
For me, good Wellies, good gloves, good coat and a great warm hat.
I've ordered some aigle neoprene lined Wellies from Amazon, half price, I have sealskinz and Ariat gloves and a Kyra K winter coat. I've got a Swedish style fleece lined hat, so stay warm and dry all winter.

Waterproof fleece lined chaps are a must too, as is good handcream!

Polos Mum

Visit site
I couldn't be without my head torch, it was about £40 but is small (lives in my coat pocket) and plenty bright enough to do anything in the dark and means I have both hands free to lead them in from the field/ carry hay/ walk dogs etc.

becca1305

Visit site
Hmm
Head torch
Ear warmers
Sealskinz gloves
Silk liner gloves
Neoprene lined wellies- i have the muckboot style that designed to also ride in: great for hacking if u dont want to invest in a pair of proper winter riding boots :)
Tights! To wear under joddys for perishing rides
Full fleece lined waterproof chaps
Neck warmer -snuggyhoods ones are lovely & warm.
Disposable thin (surgical) rubber gloves - perfect for fiddly jobs eg plaiting, tack cleaning etc to keep your hands a little warmer when proper gloves are impractical :).
Wellie socks :)
Quarter sheet/ exercise sheet for the horse. Im hankering after a thermatex quarter sheet for this winter :).
Lots of longsleeved snug fitting cheap tops for base layers.
Sure theres loads of other stuff but those are my must haves :).

MrsHutt

Visit site
Ear warmers!!

http://www.earbags.com/

I have a couple of pairs of these and would not be without them - for riding, yard jobs and playground duty!! You can wear them with your riding hat, or under a woolly hat on very cold days. I find that if my ears (and feet!) are warm, I can cope with anything! (well, almost!!)

fizzer

Visit site
My best ever winter item is musto fleece pull on jods. After suffering with chillblains before they really are worth the money.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My best ever winter item is musto fleece pull on jods. After suffering with chillblains before they really are worth the money.

Ditto this!!! I don't know how I managed without mine last winter; even wore them to bed when it was REALLY cold :)

Also a "Buff" for wearing on your head under your hat to keep your head/ears warm when its cold.

Plus a pair of Rambo waterproof riding-trousers. Keeps all the bits you need keeping warm, mega-warm. Fantastic garment!

Also a pair of muck-boot (or similar brand) joddie boots, the type you can just hop up on and ride with, without the need to get cold feet by changing.

Lastly, my "Polopancho" - its a fleecy thing that you can either use as a neck/back warmer, or can be converted into a hat, or whatever. Its fab, again an indespensable winter item. I got mine at a local equine Christmas fair - they're probably available on-line somewhere. Fantastic if you're riding out on a cold wet day.

1Lucie

Visit site
Rambo waterproof, fleece lined chaps.... fab and essential!
a waterproof exercise rug
a headband than covers ur ears and fits under ur riding hat!

loz91

Visit site
ear warmers
a flask of hot water (for coffee/speedie beat/ unfreezing taps or locks)
neoprene full chaps

leather head collar (dose not stay wet after rainy days)
towels for drying off legs to put boots on
fiber nuts to help them keep warm as they digest them

spare water containers to save water if your tap freezes
grit for those snowy days
a good broom

Jewkes

Visit site
Thermos flask x 2

One for your tea and one for hot water for horses dins*

*disclaimer.. I've not had a horse for 13 years so hot dinners might not be the done thing nowerdays. My old ponies used to love it though!

rowy

Visit site
Master clip showmate clippers! So small and can barely hear them when they are on. Perfect for clipping head and fiddley bits.
I also couldn't live without my ariat Windermere boots and my sealskinz

Ibblebibble

Visit site
fleece boot socks, full lined chaps, and big granny pants to keep your butt warm:D rubber gardening gloves to wear over ordinary gloves, keeps hands dry and warm and are cheap.;)