Recommendations about electric fencing

JLW123

Visit site
I have a couple of fields which are 4 acres and not completely fenced so I thought rather than fence them completely as I’m assuming these would be too big for initially one horse and then two I thought perhaps I would go down the electric fence route although I’m not that keen on it aesthetically. What would people recommend? I’ve looked and can’t seem to find much information and not even sure what I need in regards to a kit. I quite like the thought of solar panelled one. Any ideas or thoughts would be great. Thanks

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Rather than a kit, buy twice as many posts as you first think you'll need, decide if electic rope or tape is best for your environment. We have two solar powered units, from amazon and I'm very pleased with them so far.

JLW123

Visit site
Sorry to be so stupid but its a learning curve ? so i need posts, how far apart ish do you place them, I’ve read tape is better for horses for visibility - do you agree and how many strips of tape do you have? Then if I get a solar powered unit and gate handles. Is this all I need? Could you add a link to the solar units you have bought. Many thanks

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I recently bought a battery powered energiser, the kind that looks like a little green cool box, for an outlying field and it is brilliant. Apparently the battery will go for a year until it needs recharging.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
For boundaries we use wooden posts and electric rope - soon to be replaced with stock fence. For internal fences we use wooden posts spaced at about 20 metres with plastic posts in between (after a tip on a recent thread we alternate the facing) and use rope and tape. We have a solar pack that provides the zap. We use 3 lines but we do have sheep rather than horses grazing the land. Will see if I can find a link to the other thread as it was very informative.

Edited to add: https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/setting-up-an-electric-fence.808976/

PurBee

Visit site
Just to give you an idea - these pics is roughly how i have fencing - rope (due to wind and gives a stronger zap) either 2 or 3 strands depending how determined and skilled the horses are about escaping (normally to greener grass on the other side) - and i use the 156cm tall posts spaced between 4-5 long walking strides…roughly 4-5metres.

Wooden stakes are lump-hammered into the corners to tie the corner posts to to keep them upright and stable - enables you to pull on the rope/tape and get it tight - another aspect to deter escaping sagging loose lines. Get the lines tight!

If you have 13hh ponies you’ll get away with the slightly smaller posts…are they 140cm or something?

make sure the energiser you buy can electrify the whole distance youre covering times as many strands you plan to have. E.g 200 metre perimeter with 3 strands = energiser that can power 600 metres.

5F50E07C-B4B6-4741-8726-32A47F774646.jpeg

5B7A2A54-607B-48ED-AA51-E4D8EADFEBC0.jpeg

JLW123

Visit site
For boundaries we use wooden posts and electric rope - soon to be replaced with stock fence. For internal fences we use wooden posts spaced at about 20 metres with plastic posts in between (after a tip on a recent thread we alternate the facing) and use rope and tape. We have a solar pack that provides the zap. We use 3 lines but we do have sheep rather than horses grazing the land. Will see if I can find a link to the other thread as it was very informative.

Edited to add: https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/setting-up-an-electric-fence.808976/

thats great thank you - the link you’re right is very informative - some light reading ?