Recommendations for anatomical stirrups please

Gusbear

Was Richmond, Surrey now a mountain forest in Oz.
Visit site
Hey guys, my physio has recommended I get myself a decent pair of anatomical stirrups. He has a horsey background but he hasn’t ridden in years so couldn’t recommend any brands. I’ve been Googling but I’m now so confused. Basically I need something that will help improve my leg position as my feet don’t sit horizontally in the irons, my ankles ache as do my hips which is age related and also due to my short legs trying to fit around a very wide, deep barrelled horse. I also need something with good grip as horse is extra bouncy in trot so I’m forever having to reposition my feet. Any ideas, recommendations/reviews greatly accepted. FYI I did try and do a search for former threads on the subject but I’m getting an error message so I can’t view any results. Thanks in advance ?

Cowpony

Visit site
You could try flex-ons. You can get angled footbeds which helps not to lose them, and they are shock-absorbing. They are also seriously expensive, so I'd suggest borrowing a pair before investing. I love them (have a bad knee), but a friend with a bad ankle tried them and hated them.

Sprogladite01

Visit site
I'd also recommend flex-ons, I have a pair and they help enormously with hip and knee pain for me. Some tack stores will let you have a pair on trial so you can try before you buy, might be worth making some enquiries :)

I'm Dun

Visit site
Flex ons! I got a pair hoping it was all hype and they could go back. I wont ever be without them! I have some wide leathers to go with them and its made such a difference to me

The Fuzzy Furry

🦄 🦄
Visit site
I tried Flexons from my local retailer over a long weekend, they were no help to my dodgy ankle at all, yet my friend with a dodgy knee loves them.
OP, def go for something with a wide tread area, otherwise it's a very good idea to try before you buy.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I like 90 degree-set stirrups and fairly wide treads, I don't like hinges (for me) or a massive amount of grip (safety). I would also recommend looking at feet and ankle strengthening exercises, be open to the fact that your saddle may not be helping you and might need looking at (even a basic saddle check for the horse may mean it gets rebalanced and that makes a big difference) or even, sorry (!), replacing. And that a wide ribcage makes it hard for some shapes and sizes of people/hips/legs and may be insurmountable.

catkin

Visit site
I have a pair of Acavello Alupro stirrups which I find help old rickety knees/ankles, but they don't suit everyone.
Another thought, something I find helpful on wide ponies especially if you are used to riding long is to try hitching your leathers up a hole or two.