Recommendations for long distance transporter

irishdraft

Visit site
anyone got any recommedations for transporters I have a horse 18hh HW who needs to travel from East Sussex to Newcastle, have had several quotes in the £600 range now have had one in the £325.00 range which seems way too cheap, I suspect this could be a travelling round drop off type of affair which i am not too keen on, although i am selling the horse and obviously the buyers want to go for the cheaper deal. The horse has never travelled in a horse box before although i have no reason to believe he wouldnt be ok as he travels in my trailer fine. I am wary because i had a really bad experience bringing a mare over from ireland which put her off ever going in a horsebox again and also a fear of large vehicles on the road, so i really dont want this journey to go wrong for this horse as have had him since he was 5 months hes now 5 and good in every way.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Another one to recommend Gillies. They picked up my young horse and took her to Scotland from East Sussex. They do shared loads in a HUGE lorry and I was very impressed with their professionalism - both on the phone and when they collected.

Mearas

Visit site
Highly recommend Allen Walters Horse Transport AW Horse transport. Really excellent and very professional. He transports racehorses for people like Paul Nichols all over the country and abroad. Highly recommend him.

EPRider

Visit site
Another who would use Gillies. Their driver was very patient with a young horse that they took from here, he arrived at his destination in good condition despite it being a long way and his first ever trip.

StormyMoments

Visit site
highly recommend LOC Horse Transport :) they traveled Rio over 6 days and he was cool as a cucumber :) they were also one of the cheaper ones (£740 from the bottom of spain). they wanted to keep him :) and you can do shared or individual trips (i went with shared) Liz and all of her team are really helpful even when we asked them if they could keep hold of him for an extra day :)

Orchardbeck

Visit site
Another one for Gillys - we sent a Shetland pony stallion to Wales and used them - this beautiful lorry turned up in the dark evening, lights everywhere you could possibly think of, and the stallion (who had never been in a lorry before) strutted up the ramp as if it was his natural mode of transport and he had every right to be there next to the racehorses. Very funny!

They would be the first I would call for a long distance trip.

foraday

Visit site
Has to be www.jmrt.co.uk

We use Julie all the time for our horses!

Proper Oakley HGV lorry turns up and your horse goes door to door, stuffing haylage to its hearts content. Julie also keeps you informed every step of the way.

We use her because she is a horse owner herself and would travel your horse exactly how she travels hers.

No other horses will travel. Julie keeps informed of all the major diseases in the UK and beyond and lets you know if in the area there is something.

Plus she seems to be the only transporter that leaves a transport certificate with you. This is so handy when DEFRA visit us for follow ups as we routinely import and even the officials from DEFRA say again Julies company is the only one that leaves all the proper paperwork!

We tried cheaper ones and we paid by having strangles in our yard by a supposedly individual load by a cheap transporter but we then discovered that we actually shared and hence got the strangles there! Luckily, we managed to trace what had happened which helped our vet!

But never again! We won't risk our horses ever!

pip6

Visit site
Try googling Philip Hurst. Don't know his company name but he transports the GB endurance horses to the continent. Horseman himself, very nice chap.