Recommendations for towing vehicle

Mr Punch

Visit site
Am looking for recommendations for a towing vehicle.

Trying to find the most cost efficient MPG wise as will also need to be my day to day vehicle.

Will only ever be towing one Highland pony so don't need something insanely huge.

Thanks

Joyous70

Visit site
I have a Hyundai Santa Fe - I tow an Ifor HB506 with one horse only. MPG average 37mpg road tax approx. £250. Not been far as yet, loading and travelling issues with my mare are still a work in progress, but car tows well.

Mr Punch

Visit site
Thanks for your reply. Santa Fe is one of the ones i've been looking at. Is 37mpg when towing or just normal day to day driving?

Joyous70

Visit site
Thanks for your reply. Santa Fe is one of the ones i've been looking at. Is 37mpg when towing or just normal day to day driving?

The 37mpg is my normal day to day driving, I drive around 35-40 miles a day, on country lanes and 40mph roads, no motorway driving. As I have only done short trips with the trailer so far i.e 20 miles I haven't noticed my mpg for towing.

michelledud

Visit site
Nissan X-Trail. Tow capacity is 2tonnes so plenty for a trailer and one horse (I have an Ifor Williams 505 trailer with two large ponies generally)
I get 45-60mpg daily driving, depending if I'm putting my foot down or taking it easy, the best I've got is 72!!)and I get 30mpg towing one pony, Interestingly I towed around 2tonnes the other day and got 29mpg!

Annagain

Visit site
Skoda Octavia Scout. (4x4 estate version) Tows 2T, good fuel efficiency and is a great everyday car too.

Pretty much any small 4x4 - Freelander /Discovery Sport, X-trail, Tiguan, Honda CRV etc will tow enough for your highland... as will a lot of estate cars so I suppose you just have to have a look around and see what you like. I'm a fan of Land Rovers although they are expensive. I have a brand new Disco Sport as a courtesy car at the moment. It's absolutely lovely, does about 28mpg on my stop-start 4 miles journey to work and well over 40mpg on longer journeys.

Mr Punch

Visit site
Never thought of the Nissan. Sounds good for MPG for general day to day use so will take a look. Thanks

Ceriann

Visit site
I use an x3 - it's a company car and tows far better than I expected - it's the 2 litre drive and does about 38 mpg generally. I haven't checked mpg towing. We have an IW 505 and usually only take one horse but have towed with two.

Joyous70

Visit site
The newer Nissan's don't have the 2000kgs towing capacity, so you would need to look at the older models.

Lintel

Visit site
I have a Vauxhall antrara 2.2l.
Can't complain about it I get around 33 mpg generally doesn't seem to make a bit of difference towing or not.

I'd get a lot better mpg motorway driving... But it's used a lot more for running around hence bag mpg!