Recommendations please? :) Best heavy duty 24/7 turnout rugs for winter

rpcdp

Visit site
My Connie has to live out this winter, she’s lived out most of her life anyway, is really hardy and has a collection of rugs (pony has a bigger wardrobe than me at this stage!). I have a few good seasonal turnouts and can double up if needed, I just haven’t got round to getting a **really** good heavyweight heavy duty turnout and would like to have one. Depending on the field she has a tendency to rip a few patches here and there so anything extra-tearproof is helpful ! I know a few different brands and prices but if anyone has any personal recommendations that would be great. ;)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have a lovely shires 350g detach a neck turnout it really is a good rug it stood up to beast from the east, I think they have them on sale on the hope valley saddlery site.

Becc

Visit site
I’ve got the Bucas Power Turnout and it’s been in use for 4 years. It’s still going strong and although they’re not cheap I think they’re worth the money. I wash and reproof once a year with the bucas wash and reproofer and it’s still keeping the rain out well.

NLPM

Visit site
You’ll be able to find a good brand second hand as everyone sells them after they realise that they never need them!

Yeah... This is a good point. One of mine wears his 400g every winter. The others never need to go above 200g even in horrendous weather, so there are at least six heavyweight rugs that have sat unused in my tack-room for donkeys' years... Liners are your friend, OP! I'd personally recommend spending your money on a really excellent 200g, and then buy a few cheap 100g and 200g liners. Mine get used daily for months as they're so easy to wash, not heavy in bad weather/when I need to carry five or six at once, and they can go under 50g/no fill for the younger or hardier ones, and under a 100g, 200g and even once a 300g for the old boy.

paddy555

Visit site
rambo varilayer 450g wug. Totally waterproof, not heavy, horse stays warm and doesn't overheat. Cannot recommend it highly enough for wet and cold conditions.

Wheels

Visit site
Without a doubt Rambo. I am in the very wet and cold north east of ireland but even in the coldest of weathers and with a hunter clip my connie has never needed more than a Rambo medium weight.

Winters100

Visit site
My advice would be that unless you are sure it is needed don't go for too heavyweight. I bought my gelding this time last year and ordered what I thought I would need for the Polish winter - didn't use anything above 200g in the end!

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Rambo Wug (half neck) is amazing. I bought my medium weight second hand six or seven years ago and it's still going strong. Mine lives out 24/7 all year round, clipped, and is snug and dry in his in winter. I would definitely get another one, but as another poster said, get a second hand one if you're put off by the price for new ones.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I love my heavy weight Rambos! I have a serious rug buying addiction so have plenty of choice but her Wugs have lasted so well. I also have a Wug Plus which I bought second hand about 10 years ago which is still going strong.

lannerch

Visit site
I’ve got the Bucas Power Turnout and it’s been in use for 4 years. It’s still going strong and although they’re not cheap I think they’re worth the money. I wash and reproof once a year with the bucas wash and reproofer and it’s still keeping the rain out well.
I love bucas to, however I find the power turnout always slipped on my ragamuffin off a horse Who is always rolling .

rpcdp

Visit site
Thanks all for lovely suggestions! I will look into it. Has anyone got any experience with Premier Equine rugs? I got one after working with a few liveries who had the lightweights and loved the quality. I bought her one of their 0g as a rain sheet/autumn coat for the weather and find it really good quality so thinking maybe their filled ones are any good?

Quigleyandme

Visit site
The PE Buster is durable and reliable weather wise. I have had two for over ten years which are still giving good service despite being professionally cleaned and re-proofed every year. I am a complete convert to rugs with detachable liners because I like something clean and dry next to my horses‘ skin and one shell to send to the laundry. I bought another PE zero fill rug in their sale a few years ago and it was hopeless at keeping the rain out from the get go. I think they might have got a bit carried away with jazzy, eye catching colours and patterns at the expense of weatherproofing. I don’t know if they have improved on that now.

TPO

Visit site
You’ll be able to find a good brand second hand as everyone sells them after they realise that they never need them!

This, I have a brand new HW rug that has never been out of its bag and is approx 4yrs old ? I bought it to be prepared and the wee hot nugget has never needed more than a MW.

So if your horse is 6'3 I've got just the rug for you ??

TPO

Visit site
Thanks all for lovely suggestions! I will look into it. Has anyone got any experience with Premier Equine rugs?

Bargepole

I bought one, turned here out it in, house dropped and had a wee roll on soft ground, got up and whole strap that is sewn onto the rug fell off. It must have been shoddy stitching that I missed.

Called "customer service" and they were horrendous to deal with. Extremely rude and dismissive. Apparently horses arent supposed to roll outside ? even if horse had rolled on a surface of broken glass every single stitch shouldn't have burst.

I ended up getting it repaired myself which cost a fortune because it needed washed first despite it being on less than 10mins.

It was a really heavy rug and 100x heavier when wet as well as taking forever to dry. It leaked and despite being a high denier got loads of little snags before eventually ripping.

So personally I don't recommend Premier Equine at all.

TB had mainly Shires rugs, including his two HW combos, and they have been fantastic.

QH has Masta combo rugs and I've been very pleasantly surprised by how good they have been. One is approx 4yrs old now and still looks as good as new (minus mud)

doodle

Visit site
Bargepole

I bought one, turned here out it in, house dropped and had a wee roll on soft ground, got up and whole strap that is sewn onto the rug fell off. It must have been shoddy stitching that I missed.

Called "customer service" and they were horrendous to deal with. Extremely rude and dismissive. Apparently horses arent supposed to roll outside ? even if horse had rolled on a surface of broken glass every single stitch shouldn't have burst.

I ended up getting it repaired myself which cost a fortune because it needed washed first despite it being on less than 10mins.

It was a really heavy rug and 100x heavier when wet as well as taking forever to dry. It leaked and despite being a high denier got loads of little snags before eventually ripping.

So personally I don't recommend Premier Equine at all.

TB had mainly Shires rugs, including his two HW combos, and they have been fantastic.

QH has Masta combo rugs and I've been very pleasantly surprised by how good they have been. One is approx 4yrs old now and still looks as good as new (minus mud)

I love my premier equine rugs. I have had 3 450grms for various horses and they have been brilliant. Not a mark on even the oldest one. I agree they are heavy tho but have always kept fully clipped wimpy horses dry and warm.

gallopingby

Visit site
Another vote for Rambo duo or PE with a liner system is easier to keep clean because you can change the linings and washing is easier. Heavy weights usually need professional cleaning which can become expensive.

rpcdp

Visit site
I bought another PE zero fill rug in their sale a few years ago and it was hopeless at keeping the rain out from the get go. I think they might have got a bit carried away with jazzy, eye catching colours and patterns at the expense of weatherproofing. I don’t know if they have improved on that now.
Surprised at the PE lightweights, I find mine very good, however I do simply treat it like a rain sheet just to keep the wet off her in the late summer/autumnal changing temperatures where it’s still varying between mild and cool, I don’t personally trust any rain sheet or 0g in very wet conditions ?

lannerch

Visit site
I love my premier equine rugs. I have had 3 450grms for various horses and they have been brilliant. Not a mark on even the oldest one. I agree they are heavy tho but have always kept fully clipped wimpy horses dry and warm.
Agree with this , I have the PE celullar zone and it’s a lovely rug , unlike the bucas does not slip and fantastic quality although admittedly on the heavy side particularly when wet. Still looks like new after one winter of use.

minesadouble

Visit site
If you're not riding during the Winter I would leave unrugged.
Ive experimented with mine that live out and they always do better without a rug. I do think it's hard for man to improve on what nature provides.
Having said that everything of mine that lives out is retired. I wouldnt be so keen to keep a horse in work unrugged.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
The best tough rug I have ever used was an Axiom 1800D. They were only available on eBay in the UK and that stopped unfortunately, but I think you can sometimes still source them!

Edit: shophorserug.com has them but international shipping will probably be a horror.