Red Cell - out of stock everywhere?

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Oh I really hope not - my horse is to be on this for another 3 months.....but I have to say when I bought last month it was the last one on the shelf - but that isnt in the UK. Can your vet get it for you?

spacefaer

Visit site
I asked my local tack shop the same question. Apparently, it was pulled from production last year to upgrade it, and there has been a problem in getting it back into production. It will be back on sale Jan/Feb 2019 according to her supplier.

Custard Cream

Visit site
Long story on another thread. I thought cushings as weigtloss, and other odd symptoms but 2 x ACTH bloods and a general blood screen have come back all clear. Moving yards so a change in management is what vet thinks will help. Plus he suggested red cell.

KautoStar1

Visit site
Long story on another thread. I thought cushings as weigtloss, and other odd symptoms but 2 x ACTH bloods and a general blood screen have come back all clear. Moving yards so a change in management is what vet thinks will help. Plus he suggested red cell.

I just wondered, because its basically an iron tonic and its pretty rare for horses to be iron deficient so if bloods are normal its probably a bit of a waste of money.

Custard Cream

Visit site
Well, that was my thought too KS1 - I've spent half an hour in the shop looking at labels. I looked at Propell Plus and it didn't seem to be what was needed. Vet said a general all purpose veteran booster of its and mins.....so I've gone with NAF pink powder senior. The scientist in me thinks I should wait to give it as we are moving yards at the weekend and you shouldn't change two variables at the same time....etc etc...

Casey76

Visit site
For most horses, iron is the last thing they need supplementing.

Red Cell is basically iron in sugar, and if “your” horse feels perkier afterward, then it will be the extra sugar.

It is very rare for horses to get iron deficiency anaemia, as iron is abundant (overly so, usually) in forage. Excess iron cannot be excreted from the body, and it accumulates in various organs causing all kinds of mischief. Excess iron is also linked to metabolic issues, including insulin resistance and associated diseases.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
This is what my vets stock and sell as a haemo tonic, it costs £30 for 20 days supply. My PPID/PSSM/arthritic mare has really perked up after a single course of it. She and the other two had had a low grade virus (dull, dry cough) which has taken ages to shake off. Her bloods showed nothing dramatic except that she was a bit anaemic, typical for a post viral malaise.
image.jpeg
Judging by the glint in her eye today, it has worked o_O.

*Searches for brave pants*