Red frillies, change of career perhaps? and jacket advice please?

Pidgeon

Visit site
Ok seeing as most of this season has been a wash out :rolleyes: took the errant Veteran ginger beastie to our local riding club show yesterday. He was a very good boy and jumped a nice CR in the Working Hunter ring, followed by two lovely clear rounds and really nice shows to win the Novice and Intermediate Working Hunter classes :D He did the same last month so am thinking finally at the age of 15 he is chilling out a little as the ride rounds used to be very entertaining at one stage :eek: whereas now he is much more amenable.
So seeing as we never really do showing much can anyone recommend a nice tweed jacket for me please? I am a size 16 with a large bust so not your typical skinny minnie ;)
I have seen this one that I like the look of, what do you think? In colour SH18?
http://www.mearsjackets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=53
To give you an idea of what I'm currently wearing, please don't laugh I know its a bad fit but it was cheap and cheerful :eek:

StaffordRdingClubAug2012208.jpg

StaffordRdingClubAug2012124.jpg

StaffordRdingClubAug2012119.jpg

and one of him with his rosettes
StaffordRdingClubAug2012215.jpg

TickyTavey

Visit site
What a handsome chap! Well done! I'm no showing expert, but those jackets look very smart and would look lovely paired with a velvet cover for your hat and a nice fat cavesson noseband for neddy :)

Pidgeon

Visit site
Thanks, not bad for a veteran!
Did you think that was the best colour choice with him being chestnut? Will source a velvet cover for my hat and although I have a very nice Sabre hunter bridle I really would have no breaks in a cavesson when jumping, thankfully he can wear any tack in the workers and his legs are a bit too battle worn for ridden hunter.

LizzieJ

Visit site
Well done :D I think Mears will fit - I'm no skinny minny either and wear Mears but I would advise trying them on if you can :)

Pidge is my inspiration for trying to get my mares (she has spavins) topline back! After spending a lot of time on box rest last year and then a winter hunting it has vanished - I hope I can get her looking half as good as Pidge :)

Pidgeon

Visit site
Cheers will see if I can get one to try on before buying one then, thanks.
Aw thanks, we've not really done much schooling since moving yards 16months ago, but have done plenty of hacking and hill work. I'm sure with some work she'll get her topline back no problem, how's she doing with her spavins now?

kiagirl

Visit site
Very nice! Have you looked at the shires range? I am a chunkey monkey and have a lovely tweed from them, it looks made to measure and was less than £100

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
Try Fuller Fillies tweed jacket - I purchased one a couple of years and I love it - perfect weight and a little bit different as a slightly brighter green with a hot pink running through the check - I have made it sound yuk but I got complimented on it at several shows so assuming it cant be that bad :)

LizzieJ

Visit site
Cheers will see if I can get one to try on before buying one then, thanks.
Aw thanks, we've not really done much schooling since moving yards 16months ago, but have done plenty of hacking and hill work. I'm sure with some work she'll get her topline back no problem, how's she doing with her spavins now?

Thanks for asking :) She had three tildren drips and she hunted the last two seasons with no bute, she's often 0.5/10 lame but nobody would know if you didn't know her really well - even the vet takes some convincing! She's convinced nothing is wrong too so like you really we are playing it by ear. She can't have injections as she had an attack of laminitis from the hard ground last spring (we think!) so it's a case of trying to manage it as best we can with the odd bit of bute if she needs it after a hard day hunting. I do hunt her from the field so she is out 24/7 which helps :)

Pidgeon

Visit site
Thanks off to have a mooch at Fuller Fillies and Shires.
Being out 24/7 will help no end, and understand entirely re the jabs if she has already had laminitis! Have you got her on a joint supplement? Always remember my vets advice as well, fit not fat LOL

smac

Visit site
Gorgous horse, he looks fab!
I have just bought a Mears. I am big on top and funny shape in my body :eek:

It arrived other day and is awaiting its first outing. I had a Victoria, but had it made/tailored to fit. I went to the shop and the mears rep happened to be there he measured it up and Im delighted with it. I have only ever had Pikeur and find they arnt quite perfect

I liked the Bramham and was the one I originally wanted, however because of my boobs wanted 4 buttons, Victoria has 4 buttons! Back was shortened so I can jump & dressage in it, arms lengthed. waist pulled in a little as well!

LizzieJ

Visit site
Thanks off to have a mooch at Fuller Fillies and Shires.
Being out 24/7 will help no end, and understand entirely re the jabs if she has already had laminitis! Have you got her on a joint supplement? Always remember my vets advice as well, fit not fat LOL

Yes, she's on cosequin :) She's most definitely not fat - on the lean side if anything and she no longer gets her summer holiday after hunting ;) She's had a bit of an enforced couple of weeks off now because i have a couple of prolapsed discs and can't move but I have found someone to ride her for me now :) I'm lucky because we have a big cattle yard she can come into to keep her off the grass a bit but she can still keep moving. We do a lot of hill work (don't have much flat around here!) so I'm hopeful she will look like Pidge again by next year!

Pidgeon

Visit site
Thanks for that my DR/SJ jacket is a Pikeur Diana which fits lovely and is pretty flattering too. Didn't realise you could tweak the fit of the Mears jackets, will have a chat with local saddlery at the weekend. Good tip about the four buttons too.
Sounds like your doing everything right and I'm sure she'll get her topline back soon :)