Redoing my will - what to do with horse?

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
We are doing a bit of an admin refresh at the moment, and part of that is refreshing wills and life insurance.

A lot of you will know Mim as I’ve posted about her frequently.

She is rising 4, 15hh and a lovely little character. She’s going to be the most fabulous hack, and everything we are doing with her is to support that outcome; perfect manners on the ground, good in traffic, waits for gates, likes dogs and children, happy being in or out on her own etc.

She has a genuinely affectionate disposition and is also very pretty- and vets keep telling me what a nice, sound youngster she is.

BUT she’s not a sports horse in any possible interpretation, fairly unfashionably bred (80% arab) and not a popular height.

If anything happens to me, I’m not sure what we should do with her if I’m not around.

What do you do with a “pet” horse?

She won’t fetch a fortune, or have a glowing career ahead of her so there is no big reason to sell.

My husband is very attached and doesn’t want her sold but realistically won’t ride or see her daily. Also, she’s not four yet - that’s an awfully long commitment for him if she lives to thirty.

None of my family in this country are horsey. She could possibly go to our Danish family who breed horses but it’s a big thing to organise.

I could leave money for her keep on full livery, but is that best for her if she doesn’t have a rider or someone who adores her?

We would probably not struggle to sell but I’m worried she’d sell for all the wrong reasons.

Photo of husband and horse yesterday with her new bridle on. He’s so attached to her.

D0A65ACB-0BB4-4AD3-B3F3-7E8471A0FA9D.jpeg

Suechoccy

Visit site
Mine are gifted in my will to a good horsey friend with her agreement (and her husband and daughter are horsey too) together with £2000 (today's value) for their keep/her inconvenience while she works out what to do with them, and their belongings for her to do as she wishes. I trust her to keep, rehome or put to sleep. She sold me my first horse.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Firstly she’s gorgeous and lots of people would love her so don’t talk her down ?.

Secondly I’d look into something like WHW or similar re-homing programme. You may wish to leave her to your husband initially with instruction on what to do next I.e. contact WHW or in the case of you dying at the same time or him before you directly to WHW with an appropriate donation left in your will. They should then do the appropriate thing whatever her age and health at that time.

If you should go before your husband I think it would be awful for him to lose her too at the same time if so attached unless you really think he wouldn’t cope and she may inadvertently suffer.

Reminds me I need to check my will is up to date and reflects my current thoughts.

PurBee

Visit site
Have a few clauses. Your husband sounds keen on her and if he was left with the horse he can then see if he can cope with owning her alone and if not, he knows to look for a good home.

You could also name someone knowledgeable you trust to step in to help sell her to a good family hacking home, if your OH is not able.

You could leave a few grand for 6-12 months keep as a fund to help those taking over to cover livery etc costs, and gives them a financial cushion and time to not have to rush a decision or rush finding a home.

Shay

Visit site
If you leave a legacy in your will to a charity like WHW they will re-home. Or leave her to a horsey freind you trust to ensure that she is sold safely.

blodwyn1

Visit site
You have to join whw as a life member and leave her to them and they will oversee her for the rest of her life. I have done this with mine and have left them a legacy.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Thanks all, I have been in touch with her previous owner and asked if she can go back to her if something happens to both my husband and me, and she’s very happy to do so.

At the time that we bought her, her owner didn’t have time for a youngster as she had a very new baby. I don’t think she would have parted with her otherwise.

Now I just need to work out what to do if husband is left with her. I’d prefer to try to sort something out privately, as I know WHW will be inundated with requests for help, and we (hopefully) have the time to sort something out. My husband and I are relatively young and in good health.

I’ll make provision for her keep regardless of whether she stays with OH or goes back to her previous owner.

It’s just the practicalities of OH keeping her to deal with. OH thinks he will want to be there every evening and take her on walks. He also thinks he picks up his socks from the floor, and always cleans up if he’s been cooking.

Littlebear

Visit site
I have gifted both to my instructor (he runs a yard also) along with 5k for their immediate keep until he finds a suitable home

Orangehorse

Visit site
Blue Cross will always try to re-home horses, yet retain ownership. They do inspect the homes too, knowing someone who has 2 of their horses.

I am going to put something down about that, if the breeders wouldn't take him back (they have a large farm, but the owners are getting elderly).

Reactions: DD

Trouper

Visit site
WHW, Blue Cross, Hopton Re-hab &Re-homing, any of the charities who retain ownership but are good at rehoming will ensure that she has a protected future. I would not pass on to friends or leave instructions to sell - you just don't know how their circumstances might change and affect her future.