Refining the canter aid....How?

friesianfan69

Visit site
We,ve been a bit here and there with riding laterly with the crap weather, We,ve not cantered in an enclosed area yet but have in a field on a large circle and out hacking, we,ve just started hiring the local school again and im re starting my lessons in march.
Sometimes when i ask for canter i find myself still having to do pony club kicks to get it still, how do i refine this to a normal leg on canter aid, lack of lessons have been a bummer as we could of been so much further ahead now.
Also is it possible to get her doing a decent walk, trot and canter for a ridden showing class at the end of may?? which is approx 3 mths

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
Do you ride with a schooling whip?

Also, are you dlear when you ask for canter? Might be worth really accentuating your outside leg behind the girth & using your weight more. Failing that, a little tap with the stick behind your leg & praise, praise, praise, when she does it right.

You could also use your voice as more of an aid, on the lunge (if you can lunge anywhere), but also out on hacks, so she is very clear when you mean canter.
smile.gif

I'm sure you'll be fine for May.

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
[ QUOTE ]
i use a normal whip for hacking and a schooling whip to school, so ask for canter once then back up with stick?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are giving her a clear aid and she will accept a wee tap then I would, yes. But try and give her the same aid out hacking - it is important to be consistent & she will soon come to understand you.
cool.gif

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
As MF says
smile.gif

How about carrying a schooling whip when hacking? I find it very useful (or do on other horses, touch mine with one and I get a buck or a rear depending). You can get schooling whips with a flap end if you need/prefer it to the traditional flick end.

annret

Visit site
I'm presuming she's the friesian in yr siggy?

Mayflower and MrsMozart have both given great advice - definately agree on the lungeing front & the whips with flap ends that MM's on about can be bought here - http://www.classicdressage.com/acatalog/Whips.html - I have (had - think someone's chored it) a Dobert 'Piaffe' and it's incredibly well balanced and easy to use. Also will bring up her fitness very much which is likely to increase her desire to canter.

One thing I would say is that youngster sometimes learn really well from having a routine which is then applied as a general rule e.g. If you have a canter spot on a hack and only have to touch her to get her to canter, then try and recreate this in the school until she's established.

Also, try a kind of 3 stage approach - if you go straight to PC kick then she'll come to expect that. Ask quietly, then TELL her with your leg, then leg and stick ---> praise. It really should all come together quickly!

Sorry for waffling, good luck!