Reflocking a Thorowgood Griffin saddle?

Jo1987

Visit site
Hi all, I've just taken my Thorowgood Griffin saddle (pre 'Fish' type) up to the tack shop as it needs the flocking topped up at the front - they send saddles off once a week for flocking - only to be told it can't be done in these saddles?
It has holes for flocking (and I can see some grey wool type stuff through the holes) so I assumed it had probably already been done at some point?
They have said they will send it anyway and see what the saddler says, sounds like rubbish to me but thought I'd ask and see if anyone has been told the same?
Thanks in advance.

Jo1987

Visit site
I hadn't thought to phone them as its probably 10+ years old so thought they might not know!
I've just given them a call, the lady I spoke to wasn't sure but is going to give me a call back.

Jo1987

Visit site
Just in case anyone does a search for the same question - the lady at Thorowgood called back and it can be reflocked.

Jo1987

Visit site
I thought so, especially as it seems to have flocking points... The ladies at the shop all seemed very sure that it couldn't though as they thought it had 'solid foam panels'.
I do tend to take the information I get from that particular shop with a pinch of salt, but wanted to check anyway as they made me feel rather foolish for wanting a synthetic reflocked!

Beausmate

Visit site
If it's sent away for the flocking to be done, how do you know if it will fit correctly when it comes back?

Personally, I'd want the flocker on site....

Jo1987

Visit site
I agree beausmate, but this particular saddle has just gone a bit thin and lumpy at the front and is sitting just a shade too low.
I'm hopeful that when it's evened out it will sit correctly again and I'll have spent £25 rather than £75. I've done this a couple of times before for minor adjustments and got away with it, so hopefully I'll be lucky again.