Regent horseboxes?

Pippity

Visit site
I've been offered a 3.5t by an acquaintance, before it's been advertised anywhere. 12-plate Renault Master, in my budget, has my essential requirements, etc. However, I've seen a few mentions to avoid Regent without anybody specifying why. If it's that they miss deadlines, don't communicate, etc., that's fine because the box is already built. However, if they have a history of there being problems with the build itself, that's something else.

Obviously, I'll get it checked over by a mechanic before purchase, but I'd rather not go to that expense if the builder alone should be enough to make me avoid it.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
My friend has a Regent she bought from new & still going strong years later, I've only heard good things & the box is very well made too with quality parts.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I bought my box new build on a three year old van from a supplier who use Regent for the build. The list of snagging was huge and it had a new ramp under warranty at six months old. I would never commission a build from them. But I would buy a second hand van that has been in use some time with all the leaks and rusty fittings and drooping doors and delaminating ramps and electrical problems from the installation of CCTV sorted out.

I've had a horse attempt to kick the shit out of it and it's plenty strong!

Tom Vale

New User
Visit site
Could not be any more disgusted in the service I received from ‘Regent Horseboxes’.

From the minute the money is transferred these cowboys serve no purpose but to rob you blind!

The van I purchased from them is not road legal! Beneath the shiny box of the van was a structurally damaged chassis from a previous accident, having also had large amounts of welding work done to the underside of the wheel arch hiding the disgraceful amount of damage and rust! Surprised the van held together!

The garage I took my van to found a list as long as my arm of faults, adding to a bill of just under £1000.

When speaking to Kent about this issue he was rude and unprofessional in his response. Offering no compensation for this shed I have purchased.

I am heartbroken that there are people out there like Kent, that would screw someone over so unforgivingly.

I urge anyone that wants to use regent hourseboxes not to, take your money elsewhere and don’t make the same mistake I did.

Tracking_up

Visit site
I've had a Regent since a new build, for the past 5 years. I've had no problems with the build, other than needing to replace the ply under the matting on the ramp last year, which clearly wasn't marine ply.

And the rotting of the ply was exacerbated with a small design fault, with water running off the roof and then down the the inner side of the ramp, rotting off the ply.

But my lorry chap sorted that out (and the small design fault). His opinion was that the ramp was a bit 'under constructed' with the thinner ply, so beefed that up when replacing it. That made the ramp a bit heavy for me, so he then beefed up the ramp springs.

Love driving it, and my horse travels very well in it.

Would recommend it as a 'second hand purchase'

a £1000 bill on a lorry isn't outlandish in my opinion - that was a regular/annual bill on my 7.5t

conniegirl

Visit site
Could not be any more disgusted in the service I received from ‘Regent Horseboxes’.

From the minute the money is transferred these cowboys serve no purpose but to rob you blind!

The van I purchased from them is not road legal! Beneath the shiny box of the van was a structurally damaged chassis from a previous accident, having also had large amounts of welding work done to the underside of the wheel arch hiding the disgraceful amount of damage and rust! Surprised the van held together!

The garage I took my van to found a list as long as my arm of faults, adding to a bill of just under £1000.

When speaking to Kent about this issue he was rude and unprofessional in his response. Offering no compensation for this shed I have purchased.

I am heartbroken that there are people out there like Kent, that would screw someone over so unforgivingly.

I urge anyone that wants to use regent hourseboxes not to, take your money elsewhere and don’t make the same mistake I did.
Only £1000? My annual lorry bill was always much more than that

mavandkaz

Visit site
I have a regent. Bought second hand, on an 03 Renault master.
Have had it 2.5 yrs now, used regularly.
Had no problems with the horsebox side of it, been thoroughly inspected. The person I bought it from had had it made to her sepcs so has a lower payload then others as has the most reinforced floor I have ever seen.
Have just this month had a couple of niggles with the electrics on the vehicle, but that's a Renault thing.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Only £1000? My annual lorry bill was always much more than that

That may be true, but when you purchase a new conversion, it does have to be roadworthy!

Tom Vale, if it really wasn't roadworthy, I believe you could have rejected it as not fit for purpose?

I would also not expect a damaged chassis, without prior knowledge, on a new conversion.

shaskeen

Visit site
I bought my box new build on a three year old van from a supplier who use Regent for the build. The list of snagging was huge and it had a new ramp under warranty at six months old. I would never commission a build from them. But I would buy a second hand van that has been in use some time with all the leaks and rusty fittings and drooping doors and delaminating ramps and electrical problems from the installation of CCTV sorted out.

I've had a horse attempt to kick the shit out of it and it's plenty strong!

shaskeen

Visit site
I wouldn't go near one again, I bought it off a friend who had it newly built on her chassis, keep undercover, it's awful 6 months on ramp was rotten and obviously had been from a few months old, cheap shutter ply, bloody lucky my horses weren't injured

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221123-195350~2.png
    Screenshot_20221123-195350~2.png
    601.2 KB · Views: 33

Hallo2012

Visit site
we had one built from new on a brand new chassis (so admittedly minimal chance of any major faults)

communication was average, needed the odd prod to provide info and when we needed a spare key for the locker it took a day and an age to sort.

but the build is strong and everything works as it should do

elliejhb

Visit site
When we were looking we went to their unit where the boxes are built, there were vehicles there being utilised as the chassis which you could see had been in accidents. We queried if these were structurally checked and felt a bit dismissed, also wondered how this would affect insurance if these vehicles were Cat scored?
We have friends who had boxes built around the time and paint work has been an issue.