Registering foal by "unlicensed" stallion

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
This is for a friend and I'm a little hazy on the detail but I hope there is enough info here.

Friend's mare is registered with the AHS as 50% Arab. It was covered by a now-gelded stallion, Champagne Wizard, who is 75% Arab and 25% Appaloosa. No covering certificate was issued. Friend has registered resulting foal with AHS but they say that as the stallion was "unlicensed" but is registered with them and no covering certificate was issued the foal can only be registered as 25% Arab and his name is not on her papers.

Is it possible to do DNA tests to prove the foal was by the stallion in question and if so might it be a sensible thing to do?

I've just realised this sounds like a horsey version of Jeremy Kyle!

amy_b

Visit site
This is for a friend and I'm a little hazy on the detail but I hope there is enough info here.

Friend's mare is registered with the AHS as 50% Arab. It was covered by a now-gelded stallion, Champagne Wizard, who is 75% Arab and 25% Appaloosa. No covering certificate was issued. Friend has registered resulting foal with AHS but they say that as the stallion was "unlicensed" but is registered with them and no covering certificate was issued the foal can only be registered as 25% Arab and his name is not on her papers.

Is it possible to do DNA tests to prove the foal was by the stallion in question and if so might it be a sensible thing to do?

I've just realised this sounds like a horsey version of Jeremy Kyle!

I might be totally wrong as I have no experience with the AHS...
By what you have explained it sounds like they cant register him/her because the stallion wasnt licenced rather than proving that he is the sire.

*hic*

Visit site
Thank you both for your contributions, I'll pass the message back:)

It's a shame though as it's a very smart foal with a high %age Crabbet IIRC.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I know nothing about the Arab societies but with the registries I deal with the stallion needs to be licensed in order for breeding certificates to be issued. If the stallion isn't licensed then no certificates. Your friend should contact the AHS to find out protocol and to figure out if there could be a way around it but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

Avonbrook

www.avonbrookstud.co.uk
A stallion has to pass a veterinary examination to be licensed with the Arab Horse Society. I don't know whether they would allowed the hoops to be jumped through after the event so to speak but even if they did it would involve significant costs for the owner of a horse that is now a gelding. Pity.

*hic*

Visit site
I don't think anyone wants to pay any more for what was effectively a BOGOF. There's only one candidate for daddy luckily and she's a very nice filly but owner's illness means she needs to sell mare and filly which was why the question really arose.

Lucky old me has been asked to help out with weaning and with the sale. Filly is pretty much unhandled at 7 months but the mare is at least broken and rides ok.

wonder

Visit site
Some societies will do passports with full pedigrees to unlicensed stallions. Could she not passport with one of them then overstamp AHS.