Regumate and getting it on skin, am I being paranoid?

Ellietotz

Visit site
I've only been using Regumate for my mare for 4 days and I have seen some horror stories about people touching it and what it can do.

I literally don't want to use it now!!

Someone reassure me??

Dustygirl

Visit site
You don’t want to get it on your skin! I wear gloves and fill several syringes at a time so I don’t have to handle the bottle everyday. Also put a glove on to syringe into food. It’s fine but you do want to be careful- it can mess up your own hormones!!

Ellietotz

Visit site
You don’t want to get it on your skin! I wear gloves and fill several syringes at a time so I don’t have to handle the bottle everyday. Also put a glove on to syringe into food. It’s fine but you do want to be careful- it can mess up your own hormones!!

God, I am literally so paranoid. I've got gloves for it but my mare gets her food everywhere as well and I'm paranoid even picking up her bucket afterwards. :oops:

Dustygirl

Visit site
I buy boxes of gloves to use! My mares been on it quite a long time and I have on occasion touched it by mistake and rushed to wash my hands!!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Can you feed it on a smaller feed in a deep bucket and give her the rest of her feed separately as normal? I would be so paranoid about using it too.

Ellietotz

Visit site
Frankly you are right to be paranoid. It is worth being very careful with it.

I'm not even sure if it's worth it. I think the vet only prescribed it because of her behaviour to other horses but she's not in a herd other than the donkey who she's nice to anyway. I just don't know if I want to deal with the risk. I'm such a worrier anyway. It's the fourth day and I was already scrubbing all the feed bin lids etc with baby bottle sanitizing stuff! I'll be a mess in a couple of months!

DSB

Visit site
We use Altrenogest Paste,bought in pre filled syringes,just dial the dose and administer like a wormer or use a sheep drenching gun attatched to the bottle.Gloves always!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Around 10 years ago I had one competing on Regumate (after that we used a mare marble as that was altogether easier). I am not recommending it at all, and only did it as I had not realised it was supposedly so dangerous, but it came in a plastic container, I would pour a slug into the lid, chuck it in the feed and stir it in.

I guess the bottle will have said to use gloves, but then so did Cooper's fly repellant, and hydrogen peroxide, and I did not use gloves with that either (nor for willy washing), nor did I wear gloves and face mask for the ringworm powder we used at work...

I would not have been covered in the stuff or anything, and I would say yes be careful, but I did not notice any effects on me. 10 years on I have not noticed any effects. So, I would wear gloves, and if you do get a splash I would indeed wash off straight away, but not panic.

whiteflower

Visit site
I've used it before and know you are supposed to wear gloves but wasn't aware of any disastrous effects and the need to sterilise everything ! Was I being too relaxed with it ?? What are the supposed side affects if I get it on me ?

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I've used it before and know you are supposed to wear gloves but wasn't aware of any disastrous effects and the need to sterilise everything ! Was I being too relaxed with it ?? What are the supposed side affects if I get it on me ?
It can affect your fertility, and if you are pregnant you really should not handle it. Depends on how much you want kids. I have worked for places that refuse to give you proper gloves and had to dose 5 plus mares a day. I used to worry but since I have not managed to find a special someone, the chances of having children are remote anyway.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
It can affect your fertility, and if you are pregnant you really should not handle it. Depends on how much you want kids. I have worked for places that refuse to give you proper gloves and had to dose 5 plus mares a day. I used to worry but since I have not managed to find a special someone, the chances of having children are remote anyway.

Ah, that may be why I was not bothered, as I do tend to read labels. I believe Griseofulvin for ringworm can affect fertility/pregnancy too, in fact at one yard I dosed them specifically as it did not bother me. I have never been remotely interested in breeding more Reds so would not have been at all perturbed at handling a drug that can affect fertility!