Regumate

susanjc

www.supremehorse.co.uk
Hi,

I am a new user and would appreciate some advice. I have about 3-4 months ago broke in a 4 year old and have had no problems whatsoever. Apart from a little stroppy in season she has been an angel. Her teeth, back etc are done regulary and tack is all ok.

I jumped her on Sunday night and she was as sweet as ever but when I got on her Monday night she bronked me off. I thought this was just freshness so have been lunging it out of her twice a day and got back on tonight after a 1/2 hr lunge and straight away she tensed up and reared, almost falling over and then was not happy at all and I felt like I was on a fast countdown to lift off so ended the schooling before someone got hurt.

She is due to come in to season Monday (ish) but I have never had such a severe reaction to it before (assuming it is hormonal and not physical). I am having her back check tomorrow to make sure but because she lunged so freely I doubt it is physical!

She has turned into a very dangerous animal overnight. Has anyone used the hormonal drug 'Regumate' and what were the result. This horse is 16hh TB x Han and will event but only if I can sort this out!

Any help would be really appreciated.

ps. I think if it is hormonal, normal herbal calmers won't work as the reaction is so severe and dangerous.

rgds
Suz

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
........ and will event but only if I can sort this out!

[/ QUOTE ]
I would be inclined to give her the benefit of doubt before you went down the Regumate route. From your description this is the first time it's happened - and your own experience must tell you that all newly broken horses go through a 'Kevin' stage.

Some young mares do find working and being in season difficult - but do get used to it.

I would just be inclined to monitor her behaviour over the rest of the summer personally to see if a pattern emerges, and then see where you go from there.

Sooty

Visit site
Regumate is very much a last resort. It is not something you want to be handling if avoidable, and most reputable vets will not prescribe it until all other avenues have been explored. Your horse is very young, sometimes when schooling it will be a case of having to retrace your steps. Try going back to basics with her schooling so you are no longer ever in a position when she wins, and you end a session prematurely.

no_no_nanette

Visit site
suz - we broke our mare at 4, again v. successful, she was incredibly well behaved for a young horse, but then her seasons appeared to be more promounced (desperate to get at geldings in next field, calling out, tail in air, squirting), and very similar behaviour to yours. She napped very badly out hacking, reared up, and appeared to be very uncomfortable under saddle. We got the vet to check her back and he found "some soreness"; thought that it might be kissing spine ... Anyway, we did our own detective work, connected the worst behaviours with when she was coming into season, and got a second opinion from a vet who thought it was definitely connected with coming into season, and said that mares can often suffer from discomfort in the saddle area at this time. He then scanned her and found that she had a haematoma on one ovary, which would have been a bit like having very severe period pains for us when she was due in season .... Problem identified! The haematoma eventually cured itself, but mares often have long memories for pain, and it took some time to reassure her that having a rider on her back was not going to cause her pain. We brought her gredually back into work, and did a very little with her, gradually building up. I think any dramatic behaviour change like this has to have an underlying physical cause, so wouldn't go down the Regumate road until all other possibles have been checked out. Hope this helps and good luck!

Lark

Visit site
I had a very similar issue - 4 yr old mare.
Broken as 3-yr old - Angel
When she first came into season everything changed.
She had a stallion crest - roared, screamed at other horses.
Kicked walls in temper. Reared, struck out with forelegs. An extremely bad case.
I had her blood tested, palpated everything to no avail. She was put on Regumate; however if there is the slightest break in the administration you are back to sq one.

I actually gave her away to a person who was well aware of the situation. He put her in foal by AI and this did have a very favourable response.

If the ovary check comes out fine, bloods are fine, Back, teeth etc. are fine. It is worth while considering putting her in foal. She is very young with a long career in front of her and you could have a youngster to look forward to.

susanjc

www.supremehorse.co.uk
thankyou Rufusbluemoon and Lark, yes this is defo not a schooling issue and the reaction from angel to devil literally overnight was overwhelming. I am calling vet this afternoon to get some blood tests done and fingers crossed it is something that can be sorted out. I agree foaling may be an answer but don't want to go down that route yet as want to event her next year.

thanks for advice, I will let you know

rgds
Suz

emma_lg

Visit site
I have a tb mare...and she had problem seasons, not rearing or such but being totally oblivious about anyone and walking all over everyone, screaming her head off 24/7, impatient, restless and they would last too long, you could see the weight dropping...she has actually had a foal quite a few years back now. I do use Regumate. My vet would only provide it after giving her an examinaton anyway - he said it is not something that you just dish out. Nothing appeared physically wrong after exam. She just has a couple of squirts and it stops it all - calm is restored and she does not stress herself out.
Also, you can't let Regumate touch your skin as it can cause infertility in women - so it is very powerful.
With the horse I had before I used Regulate which is a herbal product - she had painful seasons and that seemed to work brilliantly for her. Again she was examined first.
I hope you find the reason and can help her...good luck.