Regumate

vanessahook

Visit site
What is everyones opinions of the above drug?
I used to work on a stud farm and used it rugularly for breeding purposes.
After a lot of behavioural problems with my 7 year old mare my vet suggested trying her on it to suppress her seasons. The results have been remarkable in just 5 days, but i spoke to him earlier and he said she must come back off it once the bottle has gone (in about another 2 days!) and see what happens.
Has anyone else got any experience of this? How long/ often does your mare need to take it to keep her sane?

lillie07

Visit site
I think its fantastic stuff!!! I used it on my pony and it changed her completly she went form baing a horrible devil to quite a sweet well mannered pony in about 2 weeks but was told by my Vet not to take her off it as it is not good to come/ on off it. Now she is out on loan and doing a lot less competing etc she is no longer on it and is getting on very well but I think the fact that since I took her off ot her seasons are half normal and a lot less often has helped. It also gave me a good chance to establish the ground rules!!

vanessahook

Visit site
So you were able to give it to your pony every day? This is what i thought i would be able to do but the vet has told me to take her back off it.

vanessahook

Visit site
Thats interesting! I'm thinking about asking whether she is a candidate for the marble treatment because Regumate is proving to excellent but not so good on the pocket so ideally i dont want her on it forever anyway!!

pixie

Visit site
its an intra-uterine marble.
It basically tricks her body into thinking she's in foal. For some horses this works wonderfully, for others it doesn't make a difference.
I think they might have to be replaced every few months or something like that?

emma_lg

Visit site
Fantastic - saves my horse alot of stress and everyone else!!! ..but she only needs a couple of doses when her season starts and it stops it so she doesn't stay on it.
Though I have known a horse who was on it constantly with no problems but I would imagine that would get rather expensive.

lillie07

Visit site
I had my pony on it full time, as my Vet told me that taking her/ on off it would do more harm than good. It is very expensive though. I think it was nearly a year she was on it for. If I hadnt of outgrown her and was going to carry on competing or I had the same issues with a horse now I would probably have gone for the intra-uterine marble as it was something I discused with my Vet and in his opinion it very rarely has no effect, and in most mares it works very well.

Bossanova

Visit site
I havent resorted to regumate yet but am using some stuff called Oestrafree and it seems to be working a treat- her seasons were awful before and now she is generally far less stressed about the whole thing and far more rideable!

bexj

Visit site
My mare has just completed a 1 month course of Regumate. The vet advised just one month, as it may be enough just to knock her hormones back into balance.

She didn't put a single hoof wrong while she was on it - infact, it made her lose her spark totally, which was a bit too much in the right direction, if you know what I mean.

She came off it about a week and a bit ago, and she has been temperamental, moody, arguing about being caught (never ever had a problem with catching before) and last night escaped from her stable (I forgot to put the kick bolt on) when she has never done this before either.

She is full of her own self-importance, bolshy and quite a handful (although thankfully never violent).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - of course, your lady might be different.

calon

Visit site
just started my mare on it to see if it will stop her getting colic like episodes when in season would also help if it calms her as well as she is very highley strung nervous type but never nasty or angry , i am very optomistic from ll the comments . i am stuck at home with a slipped disc just now so cant see for myself if there is a differance but will ask my daughter who is doing her for me if she has noticed any change in her charactor.