Rehab livery - help!

J_sarahd

Visit site
As many of you know, Nova has been at rehab livery for her kissing spine, which she was diagnosed with at the end of last year. She’s been there for 8 weeks today and I need a rant, if nothing else.

I like I’m being well and truly taken the pee out of. I asked the rehab lady to call me last week to discuss where Nova is, how soon she will be coming home, etc., as I’ve barely had any updates. Especially recently. I didn’t get a call or message all week so I messaged the woman on Saturday asking if she could ring me next (this) week. She replied saying she tried me on Wednesday and Thursday and went straight to voicemail. I have no missed calls, no voicemails, no texts to indicate she has. If it was me, I would’ve either left a voicemail or text to say I’d tried calling but each to their own. She then said she is away from Sunday (yesterday) evening until Thursday and her phone is for emergencies only. I have no idea who is looking after my horse or what they’re doing with her this week.

I just want to know what she has been doing and when I can go and pick her up. I really expected to have her home and restart her under saddle again by now. I know obviously the colic episode pushed her back a bit, which is fine and understandable but I feel I’m not being communicated with. I’ve tried but I just keep getting told that she’s very busy due to her head girl moving abroad.

Feeling very sorry for myself this morning as I see everyone else out competing/training and I couldn’t tell you what my horse is doing or the level of work she is in.

J_sarahd

Visit site
I wouldn’t be happy with that. How far is she away? (the horse).

Can you go and see for yourself? Does the yard have a FB page?

No, definitely not happy at all. It started off fine but has really been difficult the past few weeks. She is about 10 mins from my house so I’m going to go this evening. They do have an FB page

meleeka

Visit site
No, definitely not happy at all. It started off fine but has really been difficult the past few weeks. She is about 10 mins from my house so I’m going to go this evening. They do have an FB page

Good that she’s so close. Yes do go and see for yourself and then at least you can make a plan.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Once this nonsense starts no good ever comes of it.Message to say your coming today to pick her up.I bet shes on the phone quick smart then!

Depending on what I see today, I probably will be picking her up this week. For saying I’m paying just shy of £200 p/w, I really expected better service as an owner. I’m not expecting updates right down to how many poops she’s had (though a few weeks ago, I would’ve loved that info!) but just what is happening would be good.

I would pick her up today but I literally don’t have bedding or feed and not enough time today to get anything.

ETA: I know the fact me having nothing in sounds like really bad planning on my part but I’m scrimping every penny together to pay for her livery and wasn’t expecting to maybe pick her up so quickly.

nagblagger

Visit site
I would go with the intention of bringing her home today. I am sorry, but if my horse was only 10 minutes away and i was concerned a week ago, i would have been down then watching the rehab etc. Once collected then the money saved, pay a freelancer to continue the rehab.

J_sarahd

Visit site
I would go with the intention of bringing her home today. I am sorry, but if my horse was only 10 minutes away and i was concerned a week ago, i would have been down then watching the rehab etc. Once collected then the money saved, pay a freelancer to continue the rehab.

Yes in hindsight, I definitely should’ve done. But the rehab woman was so difficult to get hold of and said to me in the beginning to let her know when I’m popping up. I kind of stayed away as she told me she was rushed off her feet due to her head girl going and I didn’t want to impose/make her life harder. But this weekend has made me realise I am well and truly being taken for a fool!

dorsetladette

Visit site
Depending on what I see today, I probably will be picking her up this week. For saying I’m paying just shy of £200 p/w, I really expected better service as an owner. I’m not expecting updates right down to how many poops she’s had (though a few weeks ago, I would’ve loved that info!) but just what is happening would be good.

I would pick her up today but I literally don’t have bedding or feed and not enough time today to get anything.

ETA: I know the fact me having nothing in sounds like really bad planning on my part but I’m scrimping every penny together to pay for her livery and wasn’t expecting to maybe pick her up so quickly.

Not bad planning at all. not having hay and bedding on site as your horse isn't home puts the (potential) risk of damage on the supplier rather than yourself, with my finance hat on it is good planning! Don't beat yourself up about it.

I wouldn't be happy with not having at least a weekly update and visit.

As the yard is so close, I'd pop down and have a look for yourself. If you feel the need text YO and TELL her you are going down to see YOUR horse. If she kicks up a stink then there is a real problem (IMHO)

Maybe the rehab lady has done what she has said and bringing home and getting a (decent) freelancer in to help you with the remainder of the rehab is the right way forward. But until you see for yourself you aren't going to know for sure, go see and then make a plan based on what you find. (a bit like riding the horse in front of you/feeding the horse in front of you/etc.)

Let us know what you find and I'm sure the HHO hive mind will be able to help sort a plan moving forward.

dottylottie

Visit site
crossing my fingers for you that she’s fine and well, and making good progress, and they’re just shocking at communication! i’d definitely be wanting to bring her home as soon as possible, but hopefully she’s at the stage where it’s feasible to continue on your own!

ihatework

Visit site
Yes in hindsight, I definitely should’ve done. But the rehab woman was so difficult to get hold of and said to me in the beginning to let her know when I’m popping up. I kind of stayed away as she told me she was rushed off her feet due to her head girl going and I didn’t want to impose/make her life harder. But this weekend has made me realise I am well and truly being taken for a fool!

Anyone who tries to steer you away from just rocking up is someone to be wary of.
Under £200 for rehab livery would have me nervous anyway, it's labour intensive and I'd expect £250-300/week.

I use someone to back my horses, and actually one is there now for re-backing, and her communication is really bad and drives me up the wall something chronic, but I know i can just rock up, she is 10 mins away, and I know the job gets done well - so I begrudgingly suck it up.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Anyone who tries to steer you away from just rocking up is someone to be wary of.
Under £200 for rehab livery would have me nervous anyway, it's labour intensive and I'd expect £250-300/week.

I use someone to back my horses, and actually one is there now for re-backing, and her communication is really bad and drives me up the wall something chronic, but I know i can just rock up, she is 10 mins away, and I know the job gets done well - so I begrudgingly suck it up.
She has good reviews and when I met her, we seemed to be on the same page regarding KS rehab. I will just rock up later today and if I get challenged on it, then that will really cement the red flags.

My plan at the moment is to go and see her, check she is okay with the view to pick her up later this week so I have time to organise picking up feed and bedding. And then get my physio out asap. It may all change when I see her but I’d be very surprised if she is still there next week.

HopOnTrot

Visit site
Oh no, good news is that she’s close by and you have a plan in place. If she does come home now you have lighter evenings on your side.

The money you save in rehab could go towards weekly or fortnightly physio.

I haven’t had time to get mine out for inhand exercise today but she’s had half an hour with heat on her back (hot water bottle attached to a sursingle) and 20 mins on a NMES machine (similar to TENS). Not idea but it was something!

SO1

Visit site
Agree if she says they are short staffed then I would be concerned that what is supposed to be happening when YO away may not happen as they will be down 2 staff members if Head Girl left and not replaced and YO away.

Last edited:

AWinter

Visit site
I hope your horse is okay, I think it’s shocking that people act like they’re doing you a favour or that you’re “over the top” for wanting to know about your horse, you should get all the updates you want. I update clients after each session with the horse whether they ask for it or not, it just seems a sensible thing to do when someone is trusting you with their horse.

Do you mind PMing me who this is just out of interest/for future reference.

Polos Mum

Visit site
f and said to me in the beginning to let her know when I’m popping up.

This is a red flag for me - anyone who needs advance warning that you are coming is iffy (IMHO). If you'd been going twice a day and taking hours of their time and they asked you to leave them to it for a few days - that might be different.

You are the client
You are paying for a service - that they have offered to provide - so you're not making her life harder.
If her circumstances changes with staff that meant she couldn't offer the service - she should have told you.

J_sarahd

Visit site
I hope your horse is okay, I think it’s shocking that people act like they’re doing you a favour or that you’re “over the top” for wanting to know about your horse, you should get all the updates you want. I update clients after each session with the horse whether they ask for it or not, it just seems a sensible thing to do when someone is trusting you with their horse.

Do you mind PMing me who this is just out of interest/for future reference.

See thats what I would’ve liked but understand that’s not always possible. But a weekly update would’ve been good. My problem is that I’m too much of a people pleaser and I worry about upsetting people.

J_sarahd

Visit site
You are the client
You are paying for a service - that they have offered to provide - so you're not making her life harder.
If her circumstances changes with staff that meant she couldn't offer the service - she should have told you.
Yes, the fact that right now I don’t know who is handling my horse is such a worry. Nova is sweet to handle most of the time but she can be quite sharp. And what if the rehab (if she is even getting any this week) is not suitable or what I want her to be doing. I get that the rehab woman is allowed holidays etc but I would’ve hoped it would be better communicated to her clients.

J_sarahd

Visit site
You shouldn't need to tell them your going to turn up to see your horse, I would just go down later without warning them then plan to get her home ASAP
This is the plan as it stands. I need to make the arrangements to get her home (bedding, feed, trailer, telling my YO as another horse is in her field due to her field companion not able to be on his own) and block out the time in my work diary. I feel so let down because this was supposed to make my life easier