Rehabbing and fitness

Ceriann

Visit site
We are 4 months post medial branch (left hind) injury diagnosis and 12 weeks into barefoot transition. We got all clear to get back on again after a really positive 12 week scan but with one thing and another we’ve this is only our second week of ridden work. We’re doing 15 minutes hacking - walk only (I’ve trotted tiny amounts to get away from flies) and then walked in hand for another 20 mins. She’s booted to ride (she was sore when I rode bfoot initially). I have as much time as it takes and I’ve written off any arena work this year. My plan is to build up by adding 5 minutes a week to the hack adding short amounts of trot only. No canter work until I get the next ok from vet in September. Does this sound right or should I push on a little more (we’ve been told hacking only at this stage) She’s an absolute angel given no ridden work since end of last year - doesn’t change if we turn for home (our circular route is about 40 mins) which is making me a very happy owner after all the problems.

flying_high

Visit site
I think I'd maybe get some professional advice re ground work / core work / poles / body wrap etc. Good bodywork treatment. Look at getting her core and support muscles working as well as possible. Can do this in walk as well as the hacking you are doing.

Auslander

Visit site
I think I'd maybe get some professional advice re ground work / core work / poles / body wrap etc. Good bodywork treatment. Look at getting her core and support muscles working as well as possible. Can do this in walk as well as the hacking you are doing.

I'd be very cautious about doing this with a suspensory issue. Best practice is generally considered to be putting in many many accrued miles of walking in straight lines on a firm flat surface, ie;tarmac.

be positive

Visit site
Adding 5 mins per week will only get you up to just over an hour, 65mins, after 10 weeks, so I think you need to increase it a bit more to get her up to an hour after 4 weeks before then introducing some short trots, I would want to be doing up to 2 hour hacks, not necessarily every day but certainly 2 or 3 times a week feet permitting, before even thinking of cantering.
The last few I rehabbed did 6 days a week hacking building up little by little for 2 - 3 months before cantering was even considered, I ignored the advice of the vet who would have got them both into faster work earlier but I wanted to really ensure they had the foundation of fitness before putting them under any stress, both remained sound and the race horse returned to his job with no sign of the tendon injury he was off with.

AandK

Visit site
I rehabed my horse back to eventing from the same injury 11yrs ago. One thing I will say is take your time, don't rush. Lots of hacking/straight lines. My horse had 5 months box rest with controlled exercise, as well as shockwave and adequan injections. He then had about 3-4 months field rest, I then spent another 3 odd months bringing him back into work. Once he was at the stage of being ready to do a dressage test, I then added in jumping. He did an ODE approx 14 months after diagnosis of the injury.

Ceriann

Visit site
Thanks - slow and steady is the message and the one I’ve got from my vet (though no real detail how to go about this). I’ll build up the walking a little more - provided she feels ok - once the heat wave is gone it should be the ideal time of year to get her stepping out. She’s still on restricted turn out so the walks are important for her sanity too!

Carrottom

Visit site
I would increase the hacking in walk a bit more, if your doing 20 mins in hand then why not add this to your ridden hack so you can do your circular route 😎

Goldenstar

Visit site
Increasing Five minutes a week is the standard advice for increasing walking following suspensory injury .
You should also be doing core work and stretch’s in the stable at this stage .
The best person is a acpat physio would has an special interest in rehab and pole and core work .
Ask your vet he should know someone .
They have protocols now for suspensory rehab they have a clear idea of what works best based on monitoring outcomes .

flying_high

Visit site
I'd be very cautious about doing this with a suspensory issue. Best practice is generally considered to be putting in many many accrued miles of walking in straight lines on a firm flat surface, ie;tarmac.

I think it depends, if you increase core strength and flexibility, the horse can protect it's peripheral limbs better. Think the just ridden walking on firm surface rehabs have typically been superceded as the best way to rehab. I believe walking groundwork rehab and poles from walk can be appropriate for second stage suspensory rehab. But I would get guidance of vet and a physio / bodyworker that was recommended by the vet and happy to work with them.