Rehoming as an Embryo Transfer mare

[135546]

Visit site
Has anyone ever done this?
Just received news through from Land lord that the field I rent has been sold for development!!! :mad:
Entirely unsure what to do with my mare. She's unridden, and having had to a lent a shoulder to cry on for friends who've had to sell horses and ultimately had them end up in unsuitable homes, one too many times, selling fills me with fear!
But know rescue centres are all full and wouldn't feel happy offloading her on one of those anyway, she's well looked after and always has been, and rescue spaces should be for those who genuinely need rescuing IMHO.
So am considering ET permanent loan type thing as a possibility....but no experience of it whatsoever!!!

TheMule

Visit site
I've done it twice, once to Twemlows and once to Newton Stud, both very positive experiences. I've also had a mare on loan myself for 2 ETs which was great. However, there are horror stories out there and I'd prefer to sign over to a reputable large scale operation than to a private home I didn't personally know.
The mare will need to be young enough and big enough to be useful- generally under 10 and 16hh plus

Hexx

Visit site
Yes - my sister's mare went to the research unit at Newmarket that was run by Prof Twink Allen. Sadly it was closed down a few years ago due to lack of funding, but she was taken on by someone who had used her for embryo transfer a couple of times and she went to live with them - it was a well known showing family.

Twenlows were advertising for mares last month, I think. Might be worth a visit to their website.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Tomlinson equine (formerly Beaufort embryo transfer) are also advertising for recipient mares.

'- Must be a minimum 16.2hh without shoes
- No vices
- Paddock Sound
- Must be able to go Barefoot with good feet
- Be able to live out in a herd

We accept Maiden Mares between the age of 3 - 10yrs and Non Maiden Mares 3 -14 years. '

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think it also depends what type she is too? Didn't they find that when using lower 'quality' mares the foals weren't really as good as they genetically should have been?

[135546]

Visit site
Thanks all for the replies; I do not think she will be big enough, sadly, although Beaufort's website says native types (she's a suspected native x though I have no very exact history for her) can be good mothers.
I might speak to them anyway as I am not sure.
Thank you again everybody.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Believe me they do take smaller mares, we were presented with 15hh recipient mare from Beaufort and was not very happy. But only because we were breeding Arab racehorses and the big warmblood recipient mares did a fab job. Beaufort sent us 3 mares over the time I was there, the 15hh maiden who was awful to her foal, a lovely older warmblood who was fab, and a scatty TB type (Selle Francais I believe) . So they will take anything.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd resurrect it to ask about this. Would anyone be willing to tell me a ballpark figure of what they pay for horses that fit their criteria? Pm me if preferred. Thank you.