Rein snatching - advice please!

Tayto

Visit site
I have googled this topic so much but cannot find any advice/info that is helpful so thought I would start a new thread.

My mare has a terrible habit of snatching the reins while hacking. She has just had all the normal checks done (back, teeth, feet, bridle, saddle) and nothing wrong there so I think she is doing it out of plain laziness! She has been worse since getting into a field of lush grass so wonder if she just cant be arsed!

The contact I have when hacking is not as much as I would for schooling but enough to have control if something happens i.e. a spook etc however when we are walking she snatches at them all the time and it is so tiring and irritating. When we trot or canter she doesn't do it.

I have tried bracing against her - that makes it worse. I have tried giving her a long rein for a few strides to stretch out then pick her up again. She seems quite happy to walk along with her nose touching the ground but its just so unsafe - what is she trips or spooks and b*ggers off with me!

She has been in the same bit for the last year - a french link snaffle.

Yesterday I took her for a blast to see if that would clear some cobwebs - she loved it and have a great time cantering about a field - I let her go as fast as she wanted to try and get her brain thinking forwards but on the way home she started the snatching again :mad: also when she gets her head down she sort of nods as if she is trying to get the bridle off!

Any advice on what else it could be or how I can get her to stop it?!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
So you're pretty much saying it's down to bad manners?

In which case carry a stick and when she does it give her a reminder not to. It will feel awful for a while but she'll soon get the message.

smja

Visit site
I managed to get a horse to stop doing it with me by giving a light tap on the shoulder every time she tried - you have to catch them at the start of the movement, though. Only took one hack, but I'm not sure how effective it was, because she still does it to other people :(

However, as long as you've got hold of the end of the reins it shouldn't really be an issue to get them back quickly. I know what you mean about tripping, though! Mine will stretch to the floor when I first give him his head, but will pick back up and walk normally within around 10 strides without me doing anything different (still on a long rein, no contact).

Surreydeb

Visit site
Are you sure her bit is large enough and not pinching? Our pony came in a bridle with a bit too small and had been ridden in it for several years apparently - she did the snatching thing all the time. I switched her to a larger size bit and used bit guards and over a short period the snatching stopped and has never returned.

Tayto

Visit site
When you put it like that - it probably is bad manners. I feel like she just can't be bothered at the moment and doing this is an evasion which is why I thought I would give her some good fun yesterday incase she was getting bored with the same old hacking routes.

Will try tapping her shoulder - will need to be super quick like you say. I fitted her bit myself and did measure her properly so as far as I can see it fits her perfectly. I did have her in a grackle which I have since removed incase it was that was irritating her but it hasnt made any difference.

Charmin

Visit site
I had one which used to 'snatch' at this time of year, it was actually due to pollen irritating her nose. Popped on a nose net and she was grand. But she did it in all ridden work, not just hacking.

misskk88

Visit site
My mare use to do this when I first got her. She use to either be constantly snatching, or she would brace and bring her head up and sit behind so she didn't have to work correctly.

After all the checks, it was 2 reasons. 1, she hadn't been worked properly for a fair while so she found it hard and 2, she had NO manners. We worked on it by keeping things short and sweet and allowing her to build up fitness and muscle. I kept it varied to work on different muscles and suppleling her. Manners were non-negotiable and it was frustrating feeling like everytime I got back on we were back at square one after ending perfectly the day before! We did get there however, and after persistance and being the more stubborn of the two, she learnt that snatching was a no-no! She may still try it once every few months, usually when she is in season, but other than than it has stopped all together.

I would have her bit checked, just make sure it isn't too big/small or fitted too high/low. If you've checked and she otherwise seems comfy in the school and when going for a good canter... I think you need to be sharp with her when it comes to manners.

NB: I would never encourage someone to slap a horse across/down the shoulder. It can cause permanent damage if done hard enough, however a flick or wave of the whip to make her listen should not hurt (not recommended if she is head shy however!).

Also as someone else said about pollen- my friends horse wears a net when ridden. She would constantly be snatching and head bobbing before we found she had allergies. The net has pretty much cured it.

madlady

Visit site
My mare used to do this and it was just down to laziness - tapping on the shoulder didn't work but bridging my reins on a couple of rides and letting her snatch and get nowhere (apart from socking herself with the bit) worked wonders.

She will still try it on now and again - generally when she isn't in the mood - I just bridge the reins for a while and she stops.

wench

Visit site
Firstly, I'd try with a different bridle, and see what happens. If it still continues, my next port of call would be to try new bridle with different bit, and then probably back to original bridle with new bit.

If all else failed, I would assume that horse is being naughty, and as above, bridge reins so horse learns that pulling and yanking is not nice to do.

(but also be aware that a badly fitting saddle could also cause a horse to throw his head around!)

I've had this situation with a previous horse, and it continued a while. In the end I did get a thermal imgaing scan done of him just to check all was ok.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Ha I'm with mad lady, my mare use to do this for a past time when I first got her and if she pulled you forward out your saddle she would tank off.still try's it now with new riders. Sorted very quickly by bridging my reins and letting herself jab her mouth. Never try's it now.

PollyP99

Visit site
I had one which used to 'snatch' at this time of year, it was actually due to pollen irritating her nose. Popped on a nose net and she was grand. But she did it in all ridden work, not just hacking.

Ditto this, my mare does it in pollen season before I put a nose net on, now she is fine most of the time with the odd snatch on muggy, knatty days.

Tayto

Visit site
I hadn't thought about the pollen - might try a nose net.

Her saddle was checked just the other week and all is good on that front. She also has a new bridle which I fitted the other day so will see if that makes any difference. I have also taken her out of a grackle incase that was annoying her so she is in a plain bridle with cavesson nose band now.

samlf

Visit site
If everything is checked out and she is snatching and not headshaking or uncomfortable somewhere then bridging your reins is quite effective.
I don't agree with using a stick for this, but bridging your reins is good because they seem to realise they are only snatching against themselves.

atropa

Visit site
My gelding does this in spring/summer, figured it was pollen or flies irritating him. A nose net and ear bonnet helps him massively.

Tayto

Visit site
I actually tried hitting my stick off my stirrup iron last night when she did it which did actually help as the noice made her pick her head up. We managed a hack with quite minimal snatching last night! I also put a fly veil on her :)