Reluctant to turnout

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I’m concerned that I’ve gone mad. My idea on turnout seems to be at odds with many people I know and I don’t understand. I like my horse to go out, eat grass and generally mooch about doing horse things. Ideally with company in the same field, ok if in adjacent field. Liveries at last yard and new yard keep their horses in if it rains, before a show, if it’s hot, on a Sunday... so their horses are cooped up in a 12x12 stables for 24plus hours at a time. They think turning out for a couple of hours is fine, then bring them in. I’m in Surrey/Sussex but I am at a yard that has enough turnout for the number of horses. Mine, understandably doesn’t like being left out in the field on his own so has to come in too when everyone else comes in. It’s doing my head in. If I say I want him out more they look at me like I have two heads. It’s not only a couple of people, it seems to be all 5 or so liveries at the new yard and was most people at the old yard (although again a small yard with very few people) Am I the weird one??

ihatework

Visit site
Not weird no, but possibly not compatible with the yards you are choosing.
Any non working horse I own is out 24/7, with the exception of the youngster at stud, who is in a barn for the worst of the winter.

But any riding/competition horse I have is always stabled for part of the day. Much easier to manage them that way.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
No, you are not weird but in your position, I would either buy a new horse so that you have complete control over your horse's companion, or find a yard where when you go to view it, has horses in fields.

ETA in summer we only bring ours in if we want to do something with them, they are out 24/7 otherwise, we have kept them like this ever since we got the first one almost 50 years ago.

Last edited:

windand rain

Visit site
no in fact they are cruel no horse should spend 24/7 in its stable unless it is ill or in hard work and even then its debatable

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
Not weird but I agree it might not be the best fit. Almost all of our yard are out 24/7 at the moment. Bonus of the dry weather is even the fatties are out. Only the stallion in at night and 1 on box rest, then a cremello in during the day as gets burnt.
I can understand not turning out before a show, but not rain. Will they not turn out all winter? When it was really hot and it finally rained they all looked so happy out in it

Shay

Visit site
As others have said - you're not weird. But the way you want to keep your horse just doesn't fit with the yards you are choosing. Neither system is inherently cruel or wrong. They are just different. You need to do what suits your horse and if that means moving yards (or getting a companion!) then do that.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Unfortunately some yards are just like this one yard I was on only allowed most of the fields to be used between may and September, when I first moved there in January my horse was the only horse that went out in the winter field for 2 months no other horse was turned out at all, eventually a new livery moved in and she turned her gelding out everyday with mine but the other liveries thought we were mad, thing is so many people had problems when they rode there horses because they obviously had so much excess energy but it never crossed anyone's mind that it might be down to a lack of turnout:(

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Can you work on getting your horse more able to tolerate being out alone? Then you won't have to worry about what everyone else is doing.

If you've not already done so, instead of him being left out when the others come in, start by turning him out after the others are in. Then he will hopefully just start eating when he goes out and not be bothered about the others leaving him.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've had to look for a new yard for the new pony and nearly passed out with joy when I found one that allows 24/7 turnout all year round. I still have a stable and can bring in as and when I want but I cant see that happening much. It might change once shes fit and competing hard but for now she can enjoy being a horse!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Not weird at all, but I've certainly encountered plenty of owners like that. Even on my (very laid back) yard, the other livery is inexplicably stabling her horse for 16+ hours a day. Mine are out 24/7, for as long as I can possibly manage - but I pick my yards carefully, and I have (too many) horses for company too.

9tails

Visit site
Mine is out 24/7 in summer, barely sees her stable unless she comes in to be ridden. According to gossip, I'm a lazy owner despite visiting twice a day, putting hay out in the field and regular poo picking. Luckily my fieldmate is also a lazy owner.

zaminda

Visit site
I don't think some people like turning horses out because in many ways it means there is more to do. Personally I wouldn't keep a horse somewhere people didn't habitually turn out, as I do not agree with horses being kept in unless for medical reasons.
I have come across people who don't turn out because apparently professionals don't turn their horses out, this always makes me laugh!

Antw23uk

Visit site
You are not weird but sadly you have moved to a yard full of idiot numpties who have got themselves into this silly cycle of keeping in more and turning out less. Strive to break the mould, confront their ideas of how horses should be kept, shout from the rooftops that out is best and you prefer a happy horse over a clean horse! Please dont be brainwashed by them, stick to your guns and keep doing what you are doing because you know its best.

AFB

Visit site
No not weird, but it's very much ingrained in some yards.

Mine is in regular work and lives out 24/7 during summer (his stable is in full sun all afternoon so bringing in in the day out of the heat doesn't work), and is stabled overnight during the winter. He'd only stay during the day too if the weather was vile (snow etc.) as he makes it quite obvious to me that he needs to get out and stretch his legs. And equally as obvious when he's had enough and wants to come back in, albeit pretty rarely.

tatty_v

Visit site
I also struggled with this - at our yard my horse’s field companion was only turned out for 4hrs a day if he was lucky. Used to drive me potty as my boy has separation anxiety and could only last another couple of hours out on his own before coming in so I ended up stabling from 4pm to 9am the next day. Have now found a more suitable field companion and am revelling in being able to put him out early doors and bring him in at 7pm! (He still likes his big straw bed for sleeping!)