remedial shoeing

vodkas_mum

Visit site
hey all. im doing an assignment on shoeing and just wondered if anyone could give me an insight into remedial shoeing...eg a bit of a definition and what it is really! the question is 'explain and discuss the use of normal and remedial shoeing including the effects on todays sport horse' iv managed with the normal shoeing part, just struggling with remedial shoeing and sport horse part! any advice on where to go with this would be much apreciated!
grin.gif

smokeybabes

Visit site
A website that might be useful:
http://www.imprintshoes.co.uk/horse_alternative_farriery.htm

And some scientific papers:
- "Wedge and Eggbar Shoes Change the Pressure Distribution Under the Hoof of the Forelimb in the Square Standing Horse" Journal of Equine Veterinary Science, Volume 23, Issue 7, July 2003, Pages 306-309
Chris W. Rogers and Willem Back
- "Shoeing for natural balance" Journal of Equine Veterinary Science, Volume 22, Issue 10, October 2002, Page 468
William E. Jones

deacon1000

New User
www.totally-tack.co.uk
Also called therapeutic shoeing. It comes in many different forms including plastic (imprint shoes) and glue on metal shoes. Pads, wedges and extensions are also used to help rebalance and therefore evenly distribute the horses weight through the limb.

Different techniques are used the treat different problems e.g. lateral or medial extensions are used to treat ALDs or reduce the weight carried on a particular side of the wall. On the hind feet an extension can be used to help treat spavin cases. Heart bar shoes are recommended for laminitics. The list is endless but for good background info a book by simon curtis is good.

Corrective farriery a textbook of remedial horseshoeing edited by Simon Curtis
Curtis Simon

The performance horse is slightly more straight forward probaaly if I understand you - racing plates, toe grabs and the seattle shoe or even barefoot are all used/have been trialled in TB racing.

You could talk about studs e.g. polo ponies have one on the out side of each hind hoof only, whilst showjumpers may use large tall studs for height etc.

Hope this helps

Any other questions PM me as I don't look on the forum often - no offence to anyone just not much time to do so