Remember this is what we enjoy the most

GreyDot

Visit site
Had a quiet evening on the yard tonight - usually a busy place, with lots of chatter. Enjoyed the silence and the chance to remember just how much I love messing around with ponies (horses, in reality, but who's counting). Lately the stress of competing one, rehabbing the other and just dealing with the stresses which come from a DIY livery has just dulled my senses a little.
Tonight I had the luxury of just me and my beautiful equine friends and spent a happy while leaning on the fence, place to myself, just watching them in the fields. I could spend hours like that, it's really what it's all about in the end. Just pure happiness being around horses.

PSD

Visit site
Had a quiet evening on the yard tonight - usually a busy place, with lots of chatter. Enjoyed the silence and the chance to remember just how much I love messing around with ponies (horses, in reality, but who's counting). Lately the stress of competing one, rehabbing the other and just dealing with the stresses which come from a DIY livery has just dulled my senses a little.
Tonight I had the luxury of just me and my beautiful equine friends and spent a happy while leaning on the fence, place to myself, just watching them in the fields. I could spend hours like that, it's really what it's all about in the end. Just pure happiness being around horses.

I love moments like this. It makes me realise how lucky I am to own a horse and how lucky we are as humans to be allowed to be a part of their lives

Baywonder

Visit site
This is so true @GreyDot

I used to love being first at the yard in the mornings. Everything was so quiet, then I would hear my old boy call to me softly. I spent hours sitting in his stable and field, just talking and generally making a fuss of him.

Being totally honest here - this has reduced me to tears just thinking about it - it is the most special part of having horses in your life.

I would give my right arm to have my old boy back and do those things all over again. Just for five minutes........

Sugar Plum

Visit site
I am mortified with how few people are actually 'present' with their horses and feared I was the anomaly fussing and spending time with my horse. It is heartening to read how many of us are actually similar. I must be in the wrong yard as no one fusses their horses here.

TPO

Visit site
I am mortified with how few people are actually 'present' with their horses and feared I was the anomaly fussing and spending time with my horse. It is heartening to read how many of us are actually similar. I must be in the wrong yard as no one fusses their horses here.

I know that feeling!

It always makes me a bit sad when people post on here that they wouldn't keep horses unless they could compete. It feels like the reasons for actually liking and loving horses have been forgotten.

Petmurf

Visit site
I love spending time with my boy, just grooming, giving him a massage or just sitting in his stable reading my book whilst he munches on his hay, I’m not a ride and go owner.

My Instructor says that if all you want to do is ride then book a hack or a lesson, there’s more to owning a horse than just riding.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I remember the first time my ex racer actively sought out a cwtch, it felt like a really big moment. He was really withdrawn when he arrived and it took a while for him to unwind but when he started seeking fuss it was lovely. Day before yesterday i was standing outside his stable chatting to YO with him wiffling in my hair and playing with his lips on my fingers for about 15 minutes :p

charlotte0916

Visit site
I love coming down to the yard when it’s quiet. My new girl is one whinnying to me every time I turn up (or go past her stable bless her) and it’s heart warming how much she’s come round. When she arrived she was stressy and stroppy whereas now she follows me around the stable asking for scritches- even with heaps of injuries and time off it makes it all worth it to hang out when they’re like that.

Surbie

Visit site
I was meant to be ragworting this morning, but my horse saw me and made a beeline for me. 20 minutes later I was still just standing with him, watching the birds in the trees and being quiet. Perfect start to the day.

New2this

Visit site
Tik Maynard taught me this. To do nothing. And the mare noses me between mouthfuls of haynet. And if I think of her at night in bed I fall asleep

Love this. Yesterday it started raining jst as I got to the yard. So I put on Louis Armstrong on my phone and hung out in Charlie’s stable. He ignored me for a while and then came over and we both just stood there. After a while he put his head down and I just rested my hand on his head. He’s not hugely keen on rubs and affection. But it was just a lovely quiet moment. Last night when I couldn’t sleep I just replayed it.

I also love taking his saddle off after riding and just walking around (on the ground) with him slowly and having a chat and cooling down.