Renault Masters/Movanos?

Twiglet

Visit site
Due to my license, I can only drive up to 3.5 ton boxes, and no towing trailers, without taking further tests.

I previously had a Transit/Ifor Williams box, and despite it being a good runner and very cheap, my horse was not a fan, and I found it quite precarious! Plus, nothing bigger than about 15.3hh would have fitted in there.

The Renault Masters look really nice, but have not seen many out and about.........does anyone here have one, or driven one?
How much weight can they safely carry?
And what size horses?
Are they very close to being up to their weight limit?

Thanks for any help.

KatB

Visit site
You can get them that take upto 17hh+ meant to be very easy to drive and a bonus is they travel facing backwards! Thats about all I know am afraid!!
smile.gif

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
sorry to disappoint you but I drive one of those and although it is a lovely box, I know for a fact with two 15.2hhs on board I am overweight and I once transported a friends big dressage mare she is about 17hh and solid and the box struggled so it makes my blood boil when I see ads for exact copies of the box saying it takes two 17.2s. Yes they are ok for head room but you lose all power and it is v. unstable.
I'm in the same possi as you and used to have an old bedford CF with aluminium body and only travelled one horse ever on it.
These new boxes are a big con and I am worried that soon the police are going to clamp down on it.

Evadiva1514

Visit site
Hi, we bought our Marlborough hunter box around 2 years ago, for very similar reasons as i can only drive a 3.5t box on my licence. Mine is a Renault Master and we have been very pleased with it. It drives nicely, my horses travel well in it and it also looks very smart on the road. Having said that i only ever travel one horse in it at a time the biggest being almost 16hh. Im not sure about weight restrictions but only ever travelling one at a time i never really worry about it.

If you have a look at the marlborough site it will show you an example of the box i own...

www.marlboroughhorseboxes.co.uk

As i say im really happy with mine and would happily buy another...

Evadiva1514

Visit site
Oh thats good news!! We have been so pleased with ours!!

We always get stopped by people when we are out competing, wanting more information on them and having a look inside. We could have sold hundreds of them in the last couple of years!! LOL!!

MillionDollar

Visit site
Really good friend has a Renault Master and absolutely loves it, i want one now. Hers takes 2x 17hh horses rear facing and has small living (hob, fridge, sink, seats) and tack lockers in the rear. She says its like driving her car and its very easy. What is even more annoying is that her dad found it for her at just £8,000 bearing in mind its 2001 with only 70,000 miles! They're in HandH for loads more.