Renault MK1 horsebox owners - any tips or wisdom?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
After 23 years of horse ownership, I'm finally the proud owner of a horsebox! Picked it up yesterday and can't wait to be enjoying my new found freedom to go out & about without weeks of planning :D

It needs to have an anti-jump barrier fitted before I'll put a horse in it, and a service etc, so I'm having to be patient and wait before we can go off on any adventures.

So while I'm waiting, HHO hive mind, do any MK1 owners have any hints and tips, or things they wish they had known etc?

Or even storage tips etc, as it has no tack lockers so I'm investigating things that I can stow in boxes or hanging tidies.

Here's a pic of the new Milliemobile to brighten up the thread :)

2015-09-072009.02.19_zpsdt0rckkh.jpg

webble

Visit site
Don't leave it for more than a week without starting it, make sure you get it serviced regularly and check tyre pressure even when you aren't using it. Check the age of tyres even if they have tread on them they can still perish as they get older. Don't forget to get the cambelt changed even if you aren't at the required mileage as again it will perish over time.

Always have some loose change and a bottle of water and phone charger in the box just in case.

Get breakdown insurance including recovery and keep the details in the box

milliepops

Visit site
thanks Webble :)

Good point on the tyres, they look pretty new but I will get them checked out. Will be booking it in for cambelt change as it's due a service too.

foraday

Visit site
www.equinerescue.co.uk will look after your breakdown side

Do not leave home without it!

Find tack lockers take TOO much room! Good old saddle racks are fine but also get saddle covers, bridle bags and show clothes bags too the all in ones that hold boots, hat and jackets!

I am always surprised at the amount of people who just carry stuff 'neat and naked' so to speak so when they need to transfer from one vehicle to the rescue horse lorry, things will get dirty!

They are cheap enough but worth a million smiles!

As others have said - don't let it sit for weeks, drive it regardless even to go 30 miles for a trip around, keep it running. Ensure you have proper antifreeze in there and ask the mechanic to have it to -25 and that will cover our winters here easily.

Oil filters and fuel filters get them changed as part of your service - most garages tippex the dates on these now, so they know when it has been done.

Cambelt as others have said

Brakes and condition of them - they do stick on these if not used enough and will cause a fire

FIRE EXTINGUISHER - 2kgs for the cab and 6kgs for the load is always the recommended amount and ebay is the best place to buy those.

Emergency charger but also a cheap tesco phone with a tenner of credit may come in handy if you break your smartphone

£25 cash in loose change stuffed somewhere is always handy - food and diesel and any photographs you need to purchase at the event if you have forgotten your purse

Warning Triangle!!!!

First Aid Kit - there are some handy small ones about so you can keep easily in the glove box at around £5

First Aid for neds! 4 vet wrap, gamgee, cotton wool, general antiseptic cleaner, electrical tape or duck tape (whether plain or the new trendy ones with motifs on etc) scissors

Can't think of anything else now!!

milliepops

Visit site
Lol thanks, was looking into breakdown/rescue earlier as had to call it on borrowed lorries in the past.

I never go anywhere without a travelling horse first aid kit but the other stuff is a handy reminder, thanks. How do people secure a fire extinguisher in a lorry? I don't have anywhere to stow one.

WelshD

Visit site
I don't have one of those but I do have a 1986 Ford transit box

I've replaced four of the six tyres on mine due to them perishing and they looked pretty new, two were replaced in March and the others given a clean bill of health but two of those started to split at a show a couple of weeks back so they can show their age at any point so its safest to know how old they are. Also tyre pressures, I get the chaps at the local garage to check mine and its astonishing how much it changes the ride

Spare wheel - if you don't have one then try and get one or even two, these older horseboxes can be hard to find wheels for

Shower racks are useful for storage

Absolutely agree reference keeping it running, useful for hay and feed runs in the winter

Buy high vis for enough people who may be in the lorry

I have bridle and clothes hooks on the inside of my lorry then about a foot below that a line of black bungee cord that runs below all hooks so you hang stuff up then run the cord across it all to stop things flapping about in transit

carry a sealed 2 litre bottle of water for wound washing or emergency drink

learn how to check the water and oil yourself as older horseboxes can be heavy users and you may not make it to the next service (as I found out to my cost)

WelshD

Visit site
I never go anywhere without a travelling horse first aid kit but the other stuff is a handy reminder, thanks. How do people secure a fire extinguisher in a lorry? I don't have anywhere to stow one.

My fire extinguisher is attached to the side of the drivers seat with baler twine (the bracket is, not the actual extinguisher)

milliepops

Visit site
I have bridle and clothes hooks on the inside of my lorry then about a foot below that a line of black bungee cord that runs below all hooks so you hang stuff up then run the cord across it all to stop things flapping about in transit

Ahhhh, good idea! I wouldn't have thought of that.

I have a spare wheel, will also get tyre on that checked.

My fire extinguisher is attached to the side of the drivers seat with baler twine (the bracket is, not the actual extinguisher)

okey doke, I will get researching. Thanks :)

Nous

Visit site
Check the age of tyres even if they have tread on them they can still perish as they get older.

The side wall of the tyre should be date stamped - four numbers preceded by DOT. The numbers represent week and year of manufacture so 0115 would mean they were manufactured in week 1 of 2015.