Renting a small paddock out - pros and cons?

kit279

Visit site
We were repairing the fencing in our small scrappy paddock today and a lady asked if she could rent it to keep her ponies in. This is a paddock of approximately 1.4 acres with water connected but no stables. We don't keep our own horses in there as it is a bit small and the grazing isn't great but it would do very well for ponies rather than TBs, which is what we have.

So, what are the pros and cons of renting it out? And what sort of rent would be reasonable?

WelshD

Visit site
I dont use much of my field and am not allowed to sub-let the rest but if if I was allowed to the things that would stop me are:

The risk that people wouldnt poo pick

Privacy

The liability I could face if fencing wasnt kept in good condition, ie the animal escaped or got injured

The fact that I have stock fencing and barbed wire on one run of fencing

Horses may lean against or damage fencing

The danger of a gate being left open and the animal wandering

Poached gateways

In the absence of a shelter the risk that some Heath Robinson effort made of pallets will spring up

If it was 'overflow' grazing and the owner has access to other garzing and stables nearby then I guess I'd be more accomodating, also if electric fencing was put inside the existing boundary fencing it would be better and I'd also lay down a 'no schooling' rule so that the space wasnt churned up so badly

I would worry most about liability though

I guess I'd expect somewhere in the region of £40 a month