renting grazing

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I am off to look at a pony for the kids this week (yay, OH has finally given me the go-ahead!). Only problem is that until I pass my driving test and can keep it at the yard I'm gonna have to convince a farmer to let me rent grazing in the village.
What's the going rate? This pony is quite liable to getting overweight, so other than using a grazing muzzle i'm thinking if I strip grazed it it would be easier. I would be looking at probably renting 1/2 to 1 acre at a time.

AliJo

Visit site
I would find out first if the farmer is going to definately rent you some land before deciding on buying the pony. You may not get a choice of how big the field is and you usually have to pay for the whole field, not just part of it. Good Luck though, its so exciting buying a new pony.

pottamus

Visit site
I have 2 and a half acres, but no access to water and pay £600 per year. I have to pay for the cost of maintaining hedges, harrow, spray etc on top of that. I think that is a good deal for me because I can see my horse from my house window.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I have the option of livery, which would be much cheaper, and would be loaning. Having thought about this I think livery would be the best option to give the pony company. It would mean the kids could only ride a couple of times a week until christmas, but the pony I've seen looks fab, so it might be worth the wait.