renting my stable

sidsmum

Visit site
I have recently turned my gelding out for the summer and the lady who takes on backing liveries has asked if she could rent my stable over the summer.

I'm not totally sure if I want to do this as I like to have a stable on stand by... but if I did what would you suggest as a reasonable rate for the stable? I have no idea what amount to ask for!

Thanks!

Shay

Visit site
What would happen if you needed a box for something? Even just to bring him in if the weather turns or he starts to be bothered by something? What to charge will depend on rates around you -but make absolutely sure you can get back in at a moment's notice.

ihatework

Visit site
I'd just say no to be honest.
What if your horse gets injured and needs the box?
What if you fancy leaving him stood in for a few hours out of the heat & flies?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I wouldn't rent it, as I agree with you, it's good to have the stable on stand by. You might need to use it to restrict your boy's grazing eg to prevent laminitis.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Will she be having Grazing as well? If she is then you should charge diy livery at the rate that is charged around your area. I wouldn't like to be without a stable though. We could have terrible weather, your horse may injure itself & need box rest, various things could happen & you'd need your stable back.

be positive

Visit site
Is it your stable or are you renting from a YO, if the later I don't think the YO would be happy with you sub letting so someone else can use the facilities, if there are any that go with the livery, unless they already have an arrangement in place to do so, I would certainly not expect a DIY to let someone else rent the stable so there is another horse on the yard.

If the box is actually yours then charge the going rate for DIY.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Checking with YO first is a good idea, as he/she may object if not asked first. The price depends really, some YO's charge 1/4 extra for a stable, but I guess generally the price would be the difference between grass livery and stable/grazing livery. ie; if grass livery is £15 and DIY with stable is £25, then charge £10.

Personally, I wouldn't give up my stable in summer. It's good to be able to have your horse on the yard safe in a stable while you fetch tack, or feeds. During a heatwave, I use mine to give them respite from the sun, or wait for farrier/vet etc. Loads of things.

miss_c

Visit site
I would be saying no. Mine come in for a few hours each day through the summer and as others have said, what if you needed the stable urgently for some reason such as injury?

sidsmum

Visit site
Yo won't mind but yes I would run it by her...though you all seem to be confirming my thoughts in that I would want my stable for the 'just incase' moment! Last year I did bring him in for a few hours when the weather was really hot as well. Food for thought thanks!

BBH

Visit site
I rent out land for grazing and have a spare stable . There is not one horse on grass livery who hasn't used the stable , from overnight in bad weather to s fortnight on box rest .

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I have recently turned my gelding out for the summer and the lady who takes on backing liveries has asked if she could rent my stable over the summer.

I'm not totally sure if I want to do this as I like to have a stable on stand by... but if I did what would you suggest as a reasonable rate for the stable? I have no idea what amount to ask for!

Thanks!

Do you need the money from the rent of the stable??

Personally I would not as there are a few things to consider.

• What happens if your horse needs to be on box rest
  • you want to bring him in if weather is bad
  • strange horse coming in your stable messing up your bedding
  • strange horses coming in which could carry infection that your horse would catch
  • any damage done by these visiting horses (cribbing chewing) etc could come back and be blamed on you.

I would not want my stable used and abused by someone.

Sizzlea89

Visit site
Do you need the money from the rent of the stable??

Personally I would not as there are a few things to consider.

• What happens if your horse needs to be on box rest
  • you want to bring him in if weather is bad
  • strange horse coming in your stable messing up your bedding
  • strange horses coming in which could carry infection that your horse would catch
  • any damage done by these visiting horses (cribbing chewing) etc could come back and be blamed on you.

I would not want my stable used and abused by someone.

I completely agree. I wouldn't risk it if I was you.
I rent a stable off of a farmer and he said if my pony chews any of the woodwork iv to replace it out of my own pocket. Which is fair enough because my pony did the damage

sidsmum

Visit site
No I dont really need the money and I hadn't actually got so far as to think of infection but now you mention it that is a good point.

Yeah, I think you have all confirmed my thoughts, I will have to say no!