Renting stables in exchange for maintenance rather than money

pootler

Visit site
I am responsible for a small yard (8 acres, 3 stables and a small woodchip outdoor school) not far from Hartpury, the ownership situation is complex and it isn't located in the most ideal area. It is currently empty and is getting shabby where it is not being used. I am contemplating seeing if I can find someone to take on the yard and tidy, maintain and improve it rather than pay money. The yard being smart and well kept is of more interest to me than monthly payments.

Has anyone any experience of doing this kind of thing? I would really appreciate examples of how this worked well and suggestions about how to make it work.

Boxers

Visit site
My only concern would be on behalf of the person who takes this on. They will need some guarantee that you will not terminate the agreement once the work is done, and have yourself some smart renovated buildings for nothing, and they will have ... nothing!

Pebble101

Visit site
My only concern would be on behalf of the person who takes this on. They will need some guarantee that you will not terminate the agreement once the work is done, and have yourself some smart renovated buildings for nothing, and they will have ... nothing!

Depends on the maintenance involved. Keeping tidy, creosoting, minor repairs etc. would not be costly and fair return for being able to use the yard rent free. Obviously something like replacing stables is a different matter.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I would say that this is open to a lot of disagreement, to me I would find the right person then pay them for work done while they pay you for rent. They would invoice you monthly, so not an employee, this sort of thing would suit someone self employed who can fit in work at irregular times.
Something like repairing fencing can be costly in terms of materials, but also they need some skill and some tools. Painting will be cheap[ish] but it is a one off job, there are other things which are needed eg topping, weed control, etc., the list is endless, and the standards you requie may not be same as the tenant. Also you need to look at legal situation.

Last edited:

ribbons

Visit site
The facility to keep at least 3 horses plus schooling area and plenty of grazing. I would think is equivalent to at least £100 per week.
Providing the place was useable and safe (stables / buildings) from the start, albeit shabby, and there was a written guarantee of sole use for an agreed period of time I would certainly take it on.
I would imagine you will have a very large queue of people who would love to have the peace of their own place. At regular livery prices they could spend 5 grand a year on it and not be out of pocket.
My concern would be the risk to you. Mind you don't get someone who talks a good line and then let's the place continue to deteriorate whilst enjoying free livery.

Cocorules

Visit site
I had a neighbour who rented a field out for the winter in exchange for it being refenced. They used it all winter and left it in a state and did not refence. I think it is better to get someone paying rent and you pay maintenance. If you do decide to forgo rent you need to be clear on the term of the agreement and what jobs must be done and by when.

pootler

Visit site
Thank you all for your feedback. I wasn't convinced this would be a good option but thought I would see if anyone had a positive experience!