Renting Woes

Crackerz

Visit site
Sigh.... I'm sure it's getting as complicated as getting a mortgage!

OH & I rent a 1 bed through a well known agency. We need more space so started looking at 2 beds as we had a letter from our current agency saying we would get a discount on the admin fees if we moved to a house they were managing.

Found a lovely 2 bed, said we'd have it and paid our fees, which were £300 so only a £50 discount. Better than nothing, right?
Then the referencing company wanted to know everything short of our inside leg measurements! We didn't have to jump through hoops last year with them....

Anyway, that all passed & then OH has had a pay date change to end of month rather than 25th. This messes up payment as we were due to move in 26th July.
We asked if we could amend the move in date to 1st august to accommodate the new pay date changes. They gave us an option of paying pro-rata from 26th - 31st July and then all payments going forward would be 1st. OR changing move in date to 1st August for a £50 fee.

A £50 fee?? We asked why - oh because the contracts already written for you. Well, we didn't get the all clear for passing the checks until Friday and then queried the date Monday!
So £50 to go in to a Word document to update a date on an as yet, unsigned contract? Seriously taking the P :(

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It is taking the p but they can and do get away with it unfortunately. its probably written in the small print on your receipt or whatever you signed so they are covered. chances are the contracts have not even been done yet I know I have worked in lettings for over 20 years.

Crackerz

Visit site
It is taking the p but they can and do get away with it unfortunately. its probably written in the small print on your receipt or whatever you signed so they are covered. chances are the contracts have not even been done yet I know I have worked in lettings for over 20 years.

There was no small print on what we've signed so far - which was just an agreement to go ahead with referencing & a receipt of payment for the fees. I have it here with me - absolutely nothing to suggest other fees.
It's certainly a minefield! They literally charge for anything.

I asked if the £50 went to the landlord for inconvenience, but it doesn't it's just for someone to overtype a date on a contract not due to be signed until the end of July! If it went to the landlord i'd not be making such a a fuss

Ben2684

Visit site
It's the same in all situations, any type of amendment and there's a charge!! We get charged £50 just to renew our lease. There needs to be some change in the law as credit checks/referencing etc are all basically charged for by the agency at whatever rate they want. Our highest quote when we last moved was£675 plus the deposit and one month's rent. It's disgusting and unfortunately where so many people cannot afford to buy will only get worse but what can you do???

Crackerz

Visit site
It's the same in all situations, any type of amendment and there's a charge!! We get charged £50 just to renew our lease. There needs to be some change in the law as credit checks/referencing etc are all basically charged for by the agency at whatever rate they want. Our highest quote when we last moved was£675 plus the deposit and one month's rent. It's disgusting and unfortunately where so many people cannot afford to buy will only get worse but what can you do???

It's mental isn't it. We have to borrow the deposit money from family this time, as we have to wait for our current deposit to come back, which will be after our move in date for new place.

Ben2684

Visit site
That's what we had to do last time!! It's so ridiculous. In Europe they have far better legislation to protect tenants that rent, long term leases etc as renting is the norm, don't know why we cannot be the same. Rent went up by £25 pcm last time too but they know that's cheaper over 12 months than a deposit on a new place! Really annoys me as we look after our home, keep it really clean and tidy and have been described as perfect tenants but really it's all about the money. Costs us over £1100 a month to live where we do in rented accommodation and whilst we are paying that there's no way we can save for a mortgage!!! (unless I give up the horse, go down to one car and live on bread and water)

OWLIE185

Visit site
The problem with this country is the inflated property market. It is totally unfair.
People should only be allowed to own one property.
Only U.K. residents should be allowed to own a property.
Only Housing Associations should be allowed to own multiple properties.

catroo

Visit site
The problem with this country is the inflated property market. It is totally unfair.
People should only be allowed to own one property.
Only U.K. residents should be allowed to own a property.
Only Housing Associations should be allowed to own multiple properties.

Ridiculous - the problem with this country is the growing sense of entitlement.

House prices are crazy but any sudden movement would leave thousands financially crippled in negative equity. The push to increase minimum deposit will stop this being a problem long term but that makes it harder to get on the ladder in the first place.

Yes I am a property owner and yes I have more than one house that I rent out. I have myself rented (and still do actually to live in the right location) so I know what it's like.

I'm really careful with the agencies I use, I want decent tenants which doesn't necessarily mean rich ones.

OP, those charges are excessive and really unfair, both the £300 for references and the £50 for changing the date. It's not an agency I'd be wanting to stay with unless the property is absolutely perfect and there's no other option