Repeat script for BUTE do you get asked etc

indie999

Visit site
Vet came out for my old boy before xmas ...apart from arthritis that he was xrayed for about 6 years ago he looks blooming healthy. Anyhow I just wanted a bit of bute to keep him moving without discomfort etc etc

I have had one box since then and he is on one sachet a day. When I rang to get another script I was told the vet might want to do a health check every 6 months or yearly.
I am responsible owner and would have him PTS at drop of hat if I thought he was that bad etc.

Is this normal to have to pay to have vet out JUST for bute? I have known other people have bute for years or is it a sign of times recession etc need for vet to generate more income???

Last time it cost me £114 Now its just £75 for a big box. I dont really want to keep paying £114 every 6 months and the vet wanted to take old boy for xrays last time. I explained old boy wasnt going anywhere didnt load well and was not about to undergo loads of expensive tests at age 24 ?? urgghh sorry ranting now. I am happy to pay for the Bute but think the health check is not required....he didnt even listen to heart etc and just looked at him and said yes he can have some bute etc.

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
It's a legal requirement, if they have seen your horse in the last 6 months you are ok. I'm guessing it's to stop people get drugs for animal that are no longer with us but as a safeguard for the vets themselves

Goldenstar

Visit site
That makes me angry I would try to get to speak with the vet at the practice you find most approachable .

Dizzydancer

Visit site
We had to have an annual check. We started it with injections to keep cost down. But if he was seen for anything else during that year it went from last time seen. I don't think its to do with welfare more to check said animal is still alive and your not getting it for him and medicating other horses after the original one has died

indie999

Visit site
I was quite miffed as you can guess but I have used the practice for years and always paid etc etc and quite clearly a good owner who is realistic etc.

It did cross my mind to go to another vet and change which is a shame. I did get the Bute ok this time. Gestapo receptionist definitely.

Izzwizz

Visit site
It is most defintely a legal requirement for many of the reasons stated above. The same rules stand for cats and dogs and repeat prescriptions.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
We just used to get a box of 100 could order as many as we liked as long as seen in last year. Wouldn't bother changing vets same rules apply but there less likely to do 12month checks more 6 months as your New

KSR

Visit site
My horse had to have a callout for bute reassessment after 6 months as per normal procedure, but following that I used to get 2 full boxes at a time if I wanted..

I'm on lifetime medication and need a review and blood tests every 6 months too..

toffeeyummy

Visit site
It is not a legal requirement!! If you google pharmacy laws you will see it states that 6 months is a 'recommended' amount of time but not a legal requirement. So vets can use their own judgement if the animal needs seeing.

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
sorry its not a legal requirement! you can request a repeat prescription at any time! but vets choose who to prescribe to! tie it in with teeth/flu tet jabs..

coloured_c0b

Visit site
My vets also do the same I tie it in with the jabs that way only one call out. Unfortunately due to our increasing blame culture most vets now come out at least every 6 months to animals on bute. According to my vet they must prove they have seen the animal and he is a condition where they still require the prescribed medication. A sad fact but covering there arse and I can't say I blame them the way people sue for everything nowadays. They can be flexible I have run out before and they did give me another box, and then he came out the next time.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Whilst it may not be a legal requirement, if it is "recommended" then any vet who gives out bute without seeing the horse for a long time is asking for trouble I would have thought. I like to keep some in stock for our Cushings pony who has mild lami attacks, more often than not the vet will have seen her in the last 6 months, and generally when she is here she asks if I am okay for bute and if my stocks are running low will give me some more so I always have some to hand.

jools123

Visit site
It is not a legal requirement!! If you google pharmacy laws you will see it states that 6 months is a 'recommended' amount of time but not a legal requirement. So vets can use their own judgement if the animal needs seeing.

we cross posted i was not meaning to challenge what you said, i will check this one out at work (i work part time at a vets), we are told it is a legal requirement. i found articles regarding this on the internet a bit vague

benson21

Visit site
Even if it wasnt a legal requirement, if my horse was on medication every day, I think I wold want him to have a quick check over once a year anyway. Benson was on 1 bute a day, when the vet came out once a year to him he gave him a good MOT to make sure the bute wasnt covering anything else.

Stacy_W

Visit site
It is the law. We have an annual check for ours. Good to check on general condition and the ailment to make sure it's still working or if a stronger/lesser dose is required. It doesn't make me angry, and don't understand really why it would. I had 4 animals (including horse) on repeats. Yes it's expensive, but with animals it is something that has to be done and of course, it IS the law. I know that and would worry if my vet didn't insist on it.

Our horse is on danilon and we've had horses for twenty years.

sarahann1

Visit site
My vets are great, i phone them for bute, i get bute. They know me and my boys well as they are a small practice, if I'm on the yard at the same time they are out for another horse they'll ask after them. First class service :)

Umbongo

Visit site
I work at a vets, and we will not hand out any medications if the animal hasn't been seen in the last 6 months. Obviously there is some flexibility ie. Owner has run out of medication and can't arrange a check up asap for more meds, so we may hand out a few days worth to give the owner some time to arrange a visit/consultation.

Long term bute can cause some problems ie. ulcers. And the vet needs to make sure that the current dose is still ok or needs to be given more. Although it would work out cheaper for the vet to just give you the bute, I would feel happier having the vet check him over too. Can you tie it in with jabs/dentist visits?

xXMrsIrishXx

Visit site
I personally would rather my horse was seen once every 6 months if on bute for that long anyway. Vacinations are done yearly so you are only needing to pay for one extra visit outside this time for your horse to be seen.

sarahann1

Visit site
In my case i have two old boys who will more than likely pop off before the bute can cause problems. Maybe that's why my vets are happier to hand out than they otherwise might be.

xXMrsIrishXx

Visit site
In my case i have two old boys who will more than likely pop off before the bute can cause problems. Maybe that's why my vets are happier to hand out than they otherwise might be.

My mare is 24 but wouldnt mind the vet checking her every 6 months if it was required

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ive not been asked for a 6 month check for my elderly shetland who has athritis. They dont tend to query it, well they ask who its for and why and thats about it. Bit pointless them coming out every 6 months as her athritis will never improve! Although saying that, the vet is usually out at mine seeing other horses within 6 months anyway so they do kind of see her mooching about.

toffeeyummy

Visit site
I am a vet nurse and we have had this debate at work due to clients getting cross with having to bring their animals in every 6 months and it costing etc. I agree that it is best to check on an animal regularly when they are on lOng term medication but it is not the law. There is flexibility but any responsible owner would have their animal checked (on medication or not) once a year anyway? The prescription law says it is advisable to see the animal every 3-6 months but they can use their own judgement when dispensing medication. Perhaps it's practice policy but it's not a legal requirement.

Flame_

Visit site
I really hate this BS rule. In an old horse who realistically isn't going to be fixed but needs a bit of help to be totally comfortable, there aren't any alternatives to bute. Flame's been on bute for years and she has three options, discomfort, bute, or bullet. So by trying to be responsible and caring and opting for the bute, I need a vet to come every six months to tell me she's still alive and yes that she can have some bute. Pointless, time wasting and money wasting, certainly not worth time off work for. :mad:

sarahann1

Visit site
If there are any worrying changes to either of my boys I'll call the vet. However i also agree with flame, a vet visit purely for a vet to state the obvious seems a little over the top? I can see the point if you are a new customer and the vets don't know your level of knowledge and experience though.

paulineh

Visit site
Unless you and your horse are totally by your selves ie in a field etc then when other people have a vet why not join them for a visit , half the call out fee.

I would always have any horse that was on long term meds seen, but as I have 5 and 2 of them have their teeth done every six months I do not have a problem.

I also have a very good vet and if need be I will take bloods and send them off. I can discuss anything with him over the phone and if we both feel that the horse needs to be seen he will come out.

My dogs are in the Healthy Pet Club (I pay xx per month) and they are seen every six months anyway, so as I have one on long term pills he is seen then and a blood test done.

If people feel that vets bills may be big it is worth talking to the practise and setting up a DD. again as I have a number of horses I find this a very good way of paying my bills.

Ella19

Visit site
These are the guidence rules

http://www.rcvs.org.uk/advice-and-g...ons/supporting-guidance/veterinary-medicines/

I am guessing for those of you that think your horse is fine you have a stethescope etc with you, I know you know your horse but the vet does do a full clinical examination which i'm sure many of us couldn't do? Vets are advised that the animal has to be under their care and they see it at regular intervals to make sure it is still ok. You would be shocked at the state of some of the horses they see, where the owner is blind to their suffering because, quite rightly so, they love them. You would also be shocked at how many times a vet is sued or action taken to try to take them to court, it really is a very high number and by not having regular checks of the patients in their care then they leave themselves open to even more cases.

Think of the amount we spend on livery, tack, rugs, feed etc, surely the cost of a call out is minimal in comparison and for peace of mind. Yes we are all tightening our belts and no before you jump on me I am certainly not well off but my horse comes first and I would at least want a yearly check.

kym

Visit site
My boy is 25 and on regular bute due to a field injury. He is currently having no bute due to being so well but he is normally on one a day. He is a very difficult horse due to being so nervous and because of this my vets have agreed to give him a yearly check at the same time has his jabs and teeth unless I feel he is having a real bad patch then I call them out sooner has my ponys welfare is the most important thing to me and not how much money it will cost to keep him comfortable.