Repeatable and trustworthy horse dealers

LaurenB

Visit site
And I've heard the opposite about them, Wouldn't touch but your always going to get that with dealers.
what are you looking for? :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Does anyone know of any?

No such thing, purely because horses are all individuals and will always be capable of providing problems and depending on the capabilities of the rider/owner those problems will be manageable/acceptable or not.

The majority of dealers, even at the top end, will not have the horse long enough to thoroughly know it. A veneer of schooling/polishing will be done and the advert will be done.

Remember every day the dealer feeds the horse/pays the staff is a cost that has to be recovered via the sale, especially if the dealer is a low end yard trading in the cheap types.

That said, I would and have bought from dealers. One horse came from a very well known top end dressage dealer in Surrey and an high ticket horse. He was as described and had a good return policy included in the sale. It took him a year to settle into my tiny and peaceful yard (he had come from a 100 plus commercial yard). Ok, he won his first competition, but to handle he was a nightmare. The advert had said gentle and easy, which he is but it took a long time.

The second horse came via a private sale but had originated from the high profile cob dealers in Sussex. The cob was sold to a novice young man as a first horse aged 4 and said to be safe and quiet in all ways.

Of course it was quiet, a long trip on the boat, plenty of work on a young horse and out it went. Twelve months on it was back on the market as a private sale which I responded to. It was a bargy, opinionated thug which had terrified it's novice owner. It's mouth does not match it's passport, it would have barely been three when sold from the dealers yard. I have had it a year now and good progress has been made, the horse is safe and now has manners, which as a clyde x RID tank weighing in at 700kg it needs to have. I still would not sell it as suitable for a novice because it would not take long for it to revert into taking the p, even though it appears to be a dope on a rope.

So, OP, visit any dealer with an open mind. If you know what you are looking for you may just find a gem in the rough. Always take a second, experienced opinion with you and use a very good vet. Look beyond the advert and make sure you try the horse in every possible situation. Good luck.

YH31

Visit site
Yew Tree Farm Irish Sport Horses - bought a cob from them who was best horse I've ever owned and kept him there on livery so saw a lot of other horses come in and be sold on - if you're looking for a competition horse they might have one in (usually only have two or three in at once) but they will also find you a nice cob or a connamara but you might have to wait a while - only thing is you won't get a cheap one!! They have a website.